Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new OEM clutch cable for my Vulcan 500...Should I lube it before installing? If so, with what type of lubricant.

Thank you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Greetings,

You can use Cable Life from Protect All, you should find it at most bike shops. Its a spray lubricant for throttle and clutch cables. http://www.protectall.com/cablelflong.aspx I usually lube my throttle and clutch cables prior to parking my bike for winter storage with this stuff. Dont know though if your new cable needs lubricated or not right out of the box. Probably would'nt hurt though to do it prior to installing it on the bike? Best of luck

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Yes, you should, if it is not a Teflon lined cable, which I doubt. Some mfg will put a little lube on them, but not much, in my limited experience.

I use the MotionPro adapter and lube here:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/340/cable_maintenance_101/

Starting with a clean cable that has not been previously lubed, a graphite based cable lube might be a good choice, but I doubt that you would ever get the graphite to coat the whole cable if there was any lube already in there.

There are all sorts of ways that people and companies have come up with. Do a google search for other ways folks have come up with.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for tips.....Service manager at dealer said the oem cable I bought was Teflon coated and so just installed it "dry" and it shifts as easy as a new bike....The one on the bike previously was new also, but not sure if OEM or aftermarket, but whatever, it must have been pinched somewhere... Big difference now. It was very difficult to pull in clutch before installing new cable....Nice to have such a distinct improvement.

Again thanks for tips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for tips.....Service manager at dealer said the oem cable I bought was Teflon coated and so just installed it "dry" and it shifts as easy as a new bike....The one on the bike previously was new also, but not sure if OEM or aftermarket, but whatever, it must have been pinched somewhere... Big difference now. It was very difficult to pull in clutch before installing new cable....Nice to have such a distinct improvement.

Again thanks for tips.
My cables are all teflon coated. i lube them anywy. wont hurt. In fact Barnett cables and clutches recommends lubing the cable before installation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts