Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 VN1700 with 10K miles, always garaged. I have never lubed the clutch cable. Yesterday it started squeaking especially between 4-5 and 5-OD.

I usually avoid doing any maintenance on my bike in the week before I leave for a mc trip. I try to do all maintenance at least 2 weeks out. This may seem strange to some but I have found when doing maintenance and repairs it is not uncommon for me to get into the middle of a project and need a part which happens to be unavailable until a date a few weeks out.

I can just imagine a situation where I start lubing the cable, cable breaks, now I am messed up for a trip I have been planning for over a year.

How likely is it that a cable needs immediate attention when it first starts squeaking?

I guess the flip side is I don't want to be in the mountains riding when my cable breaks and I think "Man I should have lubed that dude"

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Feeling pretty silly right now. Went out for a closer look and realized I don't have a cable. Didn't know the clutch was hydraulic on the 1700. Lubed the handle and voila--no squeak.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Haha. Yeah, as I began to read, I though; um.. WHAT cable!?

If it's still running the original fluid, even without it really being ridden much, it might be due to have the fluid replaced in that hydraulic system (and the brakes as well).

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Haha. Yeah, as I began to read, I though; um.. WHAT cable!?

If it's still running the original fluid, even without it really being ridden much, it might be due to have the fluid replaced in that hydraulic system (and the brakes as well).
+1 on this. I replace my brake fluid every 6000 miles or every year whichever comes first. Cheap enough and easy enough to do for that little extra piece of mind.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, even for those of us who DO have cables... I lube mine regularly. No less than every couple weeks when I'm not riding, usually every other day when I am riding. I apply what I call the "gun rule". I'm a gun nut, Marine machine gunner vet. There is no such thing as too clean or too lubed. I even used to lube the cables on my bicycle as when I was a kid...

This also applies to any pivot points... as you've discovered.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
With the right tools it's a quick and easy job!

Reactions: DoomCrewInc
1 - 6 of 6 Posts