Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode 600+ miles the last two days (bringing my bike from Indiana, where I bought it, back to Northern VA, where I permanently reside). Installed the OEM lowers before I left. What an unbelievable difference. I can now hear the engine at 55+ mph. And I like the sound. I'd say the lowers got rid of maybe 80% of that part of the buffeting that drove me nuts---the buffeting around my head. I may try to tilt the windshield back a bit to see if that makes it even better.

Did an experiment on part of the ride by wearing earplugs. I'll be darned if cutting a bit of noise didn't make the bike seem smoother at 70-75. Perception can become reality. The reality I think is that the vibration of the V-Twin present at around 3500 RPM differs from that at 4000 RPM mainly in frequency, not intensity. Hearing 4000 RPMs seems to add a bit to the "buzz." Cut the noise, and the buzz seems less. Not trying to pump up an aspect of the bike in a way that is unwarranted, just pointing out that the highway issue some have might be mainly that we aren't used to hearing V-Twins drone on at 4000 RPMs.

All that said, I think I'm still going for the two of the three RPM mods at some point. If the bike had a 6th gear, it would be the perfect compromise between lower weight for mountain road fun and touring ability. As it is, the revs do seem too high for touring at speeds much over 60-65 for any real length of time. At least that's how I see it after three 600+ mile trips.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm glad the lowers work for you. Did you install the oem one's? Without the loud buffeting I can hear the engine purr along just fine at 70mph

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OEM lowers. I figured they would have a large effect from moving my hand around to alter the buffeting while riding before installing them. Huge difference.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I ordered a set of lowers today for my 07 900. I ordered from Memphis Shades about the same price as all the rest. I had some problems finding the mounting Hdwe. that fit my bike. I am looking forward to the difference after reading what is being said on the forum.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dsrieth,

It's hard to say too much about gas mileage, as I've been varying speed so much to test things out. I got 46 on a leg where I was running between 65 and 70 indicated (62 to 67 actual), and got 50 on a leg where I was going quite a bit slower on mountain roads through rain. Those do not seem to be reductions relative to what I was getting, and in any event, I like hearing my engine rather than head buffeting!

I should also say that it was very windy with turbulent air on my trip. I basically went though the southern part of the storms from the midwest through the east on Saturday. The trees were flying around quite a bit. I believe some of the buffeting that remained (which was wayyyy less than before) was driven by wind gusts from every which way, but we'll see.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Kawi oem p/n is different if you have optional lighting up front

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do any of you have a recommendation for lowers that will work with the highway bar on the LT.?? It is the OEM bar.
I have the oem lowers with the cobra bar (the cobra bar is the one my dealer says is the oem for the 900 classic lt...so I assume that's it).

The lowers work fine with it. One caveat: I purchased the lowers for the 900 with a light bar installed. I don't have a light bar yet, but I figured I probably would get one eventually so I went with those lowers...they still work fine as far as limiting the buffeting.)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Rode 600+ miles the last two days (bringing my bike from Indiana, where I bought it, back to Northern VA, where I permanently reside). Installed the OEM lowers before I left. What an unbelievable difference. I can now hear the engine at 55+ mph. And I like the sound. I'd say the lowers got rid of maybe 80% of that part of the buffeting that drove me nuts---the buffeting around my head. I may try to tilt the windshield back a bit to see if that makes it even better.

Did an experiment on part of the ride by wearing earplugs. I'll be darned if cutting a bit of noise didn't make the bike seem smoother at 70-75. Perception can become reality. The reality I think is that the vibration of the V-Twin present at around 3500 RPM differs from that at 4000 RPM mainly in frequency, not intensity. Hearing 4000 RPMs seems to add a bit to the "buzz." Cut the noise, and the buzz seems less. Not trying to pump up an aspect of the bike in a way that is unwarranted, just pointing out that the highway issue some have might be mainly that we aren't used to hearing V-Twins drone on at 4000 RPMs.

All that said, I think I'm still going for the two of the three RPM mods at some point. If the bike had a 6th gear, it would be the perfect compromise between lower weight for mountain road fun and touring ability. As it is, the revs do seem too high for touring at speeds much over 60-65 for any real length of time. At least that's how I see it after three 600+ mile trips.
You're right about the frequency of sound lending to the the imagination of the bike vibrating or being "buzzy" as everyone likes to say. I started wearing earplugs with my open face helmet and what a monumental difference it makes. Bike felt totally different at 75 mph than it ever has. Perception is reality for sure.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I made mine out of leather, works around hwy bars/windscreen/turn signals.

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
one thing to keep in mind... i think i read it in the instructions of the windshield or lowers... but the plexiglass is only rated for 85mph. I found out this is relativly true this weekend. On an empty straight stretch of US 31 heading up to Ludington Michigan i openened her up to WOT.. maxxed out at 90-95 indicated on the speedometer (so 85-90 actual based off of speedo error)... a gust of wind hit me head on and the lower on the left side snapped off just below the support plate...

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one thing to keep in mind... i think i read it in the instructions of the windshield or lowers... but the plexiglass is only rated for 85mph. I found out this is relativly true this weekend. On an empty straight stretch of US 31 heading up to Ludington Michigan i openened her up to WOT.. maxxed out at 90-95 indicated on the speedometer (so 85-90 actual based off of speedo error)... a gust of wind hit me head on and the lower on the left side snapped off just below the support plate...
That is eye opening. Honestly, I can't see myself going 85, and I suppose this is another reason. Thanks for the heads up.

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
not 100% sure of the material... but it cracked off and hovered around my knee for a second or 2 then flew up over my shoulder. Kinda like the one on the right side did a few weeks ago... but that one was cracked already. the one on the left over the weekend was fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a huge decrease in buffeting by throwing away the clear oem shields and making new ones as large as possible, Huge decrease.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Did an experiment on part of the ride by wearing earplugs. I'll be darned if cutting a bit of noise didn't make the bike seem smoother at 70-75. Perception can become reality. .
This is true. I ride 10-20mph quicker with earplugs in.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Lowers installed with slight mod for the highway bar. I am very pleased with this. No more helmet buffeting or my glasses jumping off my nose etc. I am enjoying this like you would not believe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts