Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a set of lowers for my wife's 900 Classic W/O the factory windshield. Any used sets out there for sale? Any forum members making any? Part numbers for new ones? Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks a bunch. I think I will just make them myself. I can make them any shape my wife wants them. I will check a few places in town to see if I can find some clamps. If not, I will just order some from Marsh Fasteners.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Hey, thanks a bunch. I think I will just make them myself. I can make them any shape my wife wants them. I will check a few places in town to see if I can find some clamps. If not, I will just order some from Marsh Fasteners.
My brother in law and I built a set for my 900. It was not difficult at all.
But I was unable to find the clamps at any local store, not Home Depot, or any of a number of other places. I ended up putting them on with tie-wraps for my trip home and ordered the clamps online.

Rod

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I can fab them myself. I made the windshield for my Voyager. I wasn't sure how they could be mounted. The tube over the forks seems pretty flimsy. But I am now convinced it will be ok. Thanks for all the input. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anybody have any problems with lowers moving while riding? I just installed a pair of Memphis Shades lowers on my Classic and it seems like they would move because the fork covers rotate, haven't had a chance to take it for a ride to see how they work.

·
Banned
334 Posts
I had Memphis Shades lowers on my 900 Classic and they never moved while riding. But I don't recall the fork covers rotating either.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anybody have any problems with lowers moving while riding? I just installed a pair of Memphis Shades lowers on my Classic and it seems like they would move because the fork covers rotate, haven't had a chance to take it for a ride to see how they work.
I had the same problem. only difference is I used the MS clamps and made my own lowers. Worked great. Of course I was gong about 70mph. Still shouldn't have moved tho. you would think anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well finally got a chance to get out for a ride after installing lowers, everything looked good until I hit 60 mph, first the left side and then the right, both turned in:confused: Looks like I've got to do some modifying to keep them in-place:(::(

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Well finally got a chance to get out for a ride after installing lowers, everything looked good until I hit 60 mph, first the left side and then the right, both turned in:confused: Looks like I've got to do some modifying to keep them in-place:(::(
Got pictures?
I have homemade lowers, but have not had any issue with them moving at all. At first they were held on with tie-wraps, but now I have the clamps. Even on long trips (200+ miles) at 70+ mph they don't move.

Rod

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got pictures?
I have homemade lowers, but have not had any issue with them moving at all. At first they were held on with tie-wraps, but now I have the clamps. Even on long trips (200+ miles) at 70+ mph they don't move.

Rod
Couldn't get the lowers to stop moving so I drilled holes in the fork covers and placed a #8 X 3/8" stainless steel screw underneath of the light bar were it connects to the forks on each side.

IMG_1081.jpg

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Wish I would've seen this thread before I bought and installed my lowers. I can move them easy with my hand. Haven't taken a ride yet but I can imagine at 70 mph they will move. I'll probably end up selling them. Dang.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Had mine on for 15,000 miles. Been on long highway runs hitting speeds up to 75 mph if not a little bit more and lowers haven't moved at all. When I cut mine I made them pretty large too.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks. I took my bike out today and they didn't move but I couldn't tell any difference with them?
For me, the difference made me decide to keep the bike. The wind that came up from under the windshield and hit me in the chest and traveled up under my helmet created a ton of noise. It made my half helmet move around and at higher speeds it made it feel like I didn't have a windshield (a bit exaggerated but still pretty bad). Almost regretted the move to sell my last bike and get this one til I did some research and made my lowers. For me the difference is huge. Probably one of the best mods I did for my bike.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
For me, the difference made me decide to keep the bike. The wind that came up from under the windshield and hit me in the chest and traveled up under my helmet created a ton of noise. It made my half helmet move around and at higher speeds it made it feel like I didn't have a windshield (a bit exaggerated but still pretty bad). Almost regretted the move to sell my last bike and get this one til I did some research and made my lowers. For me the difference is huge. Probably one of the best mods I did for my bike.
Interesting. I installed them for the same reasons you mentioned. At times buffeting would blur my vision unless I ducked behind my windshield. I thought lowers might help. Went out on the highway yesterday and everything was the same. Maybe I need to play with the positioning.

·
Registered
357 Posts
same here, I have the largest shield for the "spoiler" version (9") and I can feel the air on my upper glasses/helmet when riding at 50+. I've thought about getting the 12" straight but we'll see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts