Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with lowering my bike. It is a visual thing for me. I ride solo-always will-and the bike looks unbalanced to me. The rear fender rides to high over the tire. Apparently Barons no longer makes a kit and would appreciate any thoughts any of you have.

Thanks in advance!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Need help with lowering my bike. It is a visual thing for me. I ride solo-always will-and the bike looks unbalanced to me. The rear fender rides to high over the tire. Apparently Barons no longer makes a kit and would appreciate any thoughts any of you have. Thanks in advance!
nw, here are pics of plans to bild yor own set of linx. also watt it looks with stok tins. 2" drop. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you have the stock rear shock, give it the flick, its rubbish, and fit something that works to improve ride and handling as well as looks. I went Progressive 465 rear shock, the 1" lower model, and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm going to get that shock, but I would go the other way and get 1" higher than stock just to get more cornering clearance if they made one.
I agree about the look of the fender being too high but the Corbin bags completely hide that little flaw.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
well U'd thot I'd have mor pix of this home made set o linx.. 'parently knott?

they is just a pair of 1/4" steel plates, same outline as barons -previous post. bolts, nuts, offset spacers to fit. ten bux maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than lowering by 2"' what change in riding will I notice by installing the 465 Progressive shock? Is it necessary to lower the front by the same amount?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Poncho, Is that all I need? What about the shock alternative (other than $$$)?
if all you want to do is drop the rear, then linx are all you need. Stock shock is just that.
Butt if you want to improve the Handling And drop the rear, then pony up 4 benjimans for that progressive liberal solution. hey its yor bike n dime. unlike Ho'bama skare, U git to choose.. poncho

·
Registered
232 Posts
if all you want to do is drop the rear, then linx are all you need. Stock shock is just that.
then if you want to improve the Handling And drop the rear, then pony up 4 benjimans for that progressive liberal solution. hey its yor bike n dime. unlike Ho'bama skare, U git to choose.. poncho
Even though I have to use Google translate on your posts you are one funny man. :)

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Poncho,

Is that all I need? What about the shock alternative (other than $$$)?
The two inch drop links aren't just straight brackets. If you look at the picture (of the baron's) that poncho did, you can see they have an angle cut into them.

The angle allows them to sit flush on the swing arm mount point.

I agree with the looks. That big space really looks bad.

I had the 2 inch drop kit installed for several years... you can see the difference in the pics below.

Picture one is back around 2008 or 2009. Stock tires, rims, no drop kit.

Picture two is with stock tires and rims, but WITH the 2-inch drop kit.

Picture three is WITH the 2-inch drop kit, but with rims that are +2 inches and tires that are low profile (bigger rims, smaller tires = same over all size)

Anyways, you can see it really helps the looks.

I DID however, take it off the 2-inch drop kit about 3 months ago. I installed the Progressive 465 with the 1-inch drop and the BAK.

I realized I don't have a picture of it.. most odd. I love taking pictures of the bike :)

It does of course, now sit an inch higher (down 1 instead of down 2). Maybe when this tire needs to be changed, I'll increase the tire size a bit.. or maybe even replace the +2 rim with a +3 rim. THAT would look sweet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there any riding difference between stock height and the 2" drop with stock shock and that link mounted? Does it bottom out more easily or scrape the inside of the rear fender?

What is the spring travel on a 2" drop custom shock compared to stock? It's harder with less travel, like on a car, right?

Smedlin, why did you change from 2" lowering to 1"? From what you said, a 2" drop looks the better.. Is it more comfortable with 1", or is it that you can turn tighter without scraping the foot pad?

And how severely does the 2" drop limit the cornering compared to stock height before scraping occurs?

I am a 215 pound guy. If I still want to be able to have a passenger on, what 2" lowering shock could i go for?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Old thread I know but, I'm just getting a local engineer to knock these up for me. Any one have any instructions? I know it's probably simple but just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Tia

·
Registered
659 Posts
I made the links according to Ponchs blueprints years ago and they've held up. No difference in riding or cornering. Made a big difference in the stance and looks though. Didn't like seeing an inch of daylight between the bottom of the fender and top of the tire. Just be careful when installing and don't lose the needle bearings.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Dang dude, you're making me try to remember back farther than a year? Best I can remember, when I took out the rear bolt it went through a spacer/bearing that had needle bearings in it. A couple fell out and I had to get them back in. I'm a picture hoarder so I'll try and find it but I've had at least three phones since then so I can't promise anything.

·
4,906 Posts
Lol.. i'm the same way

I'm like.. umm... um... yea.. I know I've done that.. but.. yea.. umm...

anyways, I don't remember any needle bearing thingies on the shock.

Maybe they changed it, since mine is an 04.

I don't remember if you are the original owner of yours, maybe somebody added it to yours.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Nope, mine's had at least two owners before me that I know of and it was only four years old when I got it in '10. Next time I have the seat off I'll take a picture but now that I think about it, it may be in my manual. I'll look when I get home.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hot dog I'm not crazy! Well, not for this anyway. Vulcan motorcycle manual section 13-18 Suspension, half way down the page, Rear Shock Absorber Installation. °Apply grease to the needle bearing and oil seals [A]. So it must be a difference in years is all I can think.

·
4,906 Posts
I looked it up.

I really don't remember that on mine.

maybe it did have one..when I put the barons 2 inch drop link, maybe it replaced it.

Been to long. That was 5 or 6 years ago when I did that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts