Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have turned the lock nut all the way down, and i want to drop the rear more. so my idea is to replace the clevis on the shock with an after market one that has the eye/bolt hole closer to the shock. i know you can drill those hole out to lower the rear and or extend the dog bones. but after market clevis's are not expensive and this would be a simple project. any feedback on this idea would be great

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've done this. I found an after-market one... kind of a pain in the ass to put on using an automotive spring compressor borrowed from Autozone... but I got it on there.

It doesn't actually lower it all that much (wish I could tell you how much, but I totally forgot to measure a 'before'). In hind-sight, it'd probably spend the $140 on the scootworks kit: Scootworks - Kawasaki Lowering Kits and Suspension Accessories

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have extended the dog bones. For me it was the easiest and cheapest solution :
>lift up the bike.
>remove front exhaust & side covers.
>remove the two bolts which keep the dog bones into position.
>remove dog bones : cut them, add a small plate to lengthened them, add an additional plate over, and weld all together.

I've done all the job, I have all necessary equipments, so cost me nothing.

I have added about 12 mm to the stock length of the dog bones, but it was too much, the rear fender scratching the tire, even with the spring max tensioned. Then I had to remake all the job and reduce about 4 mm from the length of the dog bones. So, now I am at about 8 mm longer than stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
i have turned the lock nut all the way down, and i want to drop the rear more. so my idea is to replace the clevis on the shock with an after market one that has the eye/bolt hole closer to the shock. i know you can drill those hole out to lower the rear and or extend the dog bones. but after market clevis's are not expensive and this would be a simple project. any feedback on this idea would be great
This is exactly how I lowered my 05 several years ago. Cant remember the name brand, but hole for lower shock was only about 3/8; closer to shock than stock, but did lower the rear about an 1 1/2".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts