Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't got my VN2000 yet, but I'm pretty sure that when I do I'll want to lower it a couple inches. Does this bike lend itself to that, or will I have any clearance problems? Here is what I found for a lowering kit.

http://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=215872

It's quite different than what was used to lower my 900 (a longer trailing link). Is this what I'll need? Is it an easy install?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I tend to drag my floorboards on a regular basis when riding aggressively so I imagine lowering the V2K would only make it worse. However, someone who has actually lowered their V2K would be in a better position to comment on it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Bill why would you wana lower it ? Mrs. Bulldozer sits on mine she is flat footed and she is 5*2 heck the only way i can keep her off of it is cause i keep tellin her its to heavy ! You lower a Beast you better figure out a way to raise the floor boards and other stuff cause you will be ripping it up on the pavement ...Bulldozer

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just going by the fact that I could barely get both feet flat on the ground on the couple of 2000s I've sat on. I'll definitely ride it for a while before deciding. I guess I didn't realize the clearance was that low. I've got my 900 lowered 1" and have never dragged the boards.

5'2" and get both feet flat on the ground? Must be some long legs;)

·
Administrator
11,991 Posts
I was just going by the fact that I could barely get both feet flat on the ground on the couple of 2000s I've sat on. I'll definitely ride it for a while before deciding. I guess I didn't realize the clearance was that low. I've got my 900 lowered 1" and have never dragged the boards.

5'2" and get both feet flat on the ground? Must be some long legs;)
Maybe consider doing something with the seat versus lowering?

·
Registered
319 Posts
lowering

mine is lowered 2 ",s and yes it scrapes, but, thats why the floor boards retract a bit and you can replace the skid pads when they wear out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Bill,

I have had my 05 VN2000 since new and have had the lowering link you are looking at installed for about 3 years. Love it mate, the bike just looks so much better lowered.

I ride the thing hard, and normally two up as the wife loves the bike as much as me if not more :) Dragging floor boards happens but isn't a problem its the lower muffler on the stocker exhaust you need to worry about :eek:

Even before lowering the bike the lower muffler had a few scrapes along the underside. The V&H pipes sorted that out as they are swept up at the end with the added plus that they sound awesome.

Installation was done at one of the bikes services so I cant comment on that, though the mechanic did say it was easy.

Hope this helps Bill.

Simon

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
I haven't got my VN2000 yet, but I'm pretty sure that when I do I'll want to lower it a couple inches. Does this bike lend itself to that, or will I have any clearance problems? Here is what I found for a lowering kit.

http://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=215872

It's quite different than what was used to lower my 900 (a longer trailing link). Is this what I'll need? Is it an easy install?
Have you gotten confirmation from someone there that they do have it in stock ?
Britt's who makes them does not have any and their in a hold position right now
until they get a new supplier to make them.
No production date yet.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you gotten confirmation from someone there that they do have it in stock ?

No. Hell, I don't even have the bike yet! I was just putting some feelers out there for possibilities (of which this may not even be one, apparently). I'm not even sure this is what I'll want to do, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Sometimes I do get ahead of myself.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe consider doing something with the seat versus lowering?
A distinct possibility. I've got a Corbin on my 900 and I'm one of the seemingly few who love the Corbin. It lowers me about an inch, I'd guess. They're kinda expensive, but I like the firmness once it got broken in for my butt.

The Mustang is out, since it raises the rider rather than lowering (do I have that right?)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Metric you have a really sharp bike. I like the V&H and the total look you have created with your beast. By the way who made your wheels and if its ok to ask a ballpark on what they set you back ? Bulldozer

·
Administrator
11,991 Posts
I've got a Corbin solo on my Honda and it is a sharp looking seat. The firmness may work for you but I can only tolerate it for a couple hours. Serious miles go on the Nomad and the Honda is for trying to keep up to my son on his R6. :)

A distinct possibility. I've got a Corbin on my 900 and I'm one of the seemingly few who love the Corbin. It lowers me about an inch, I'd guess. They're kinda expensive, but I like the firmness once it got broken in for my butt.

The Mustang is out, since it raises the rider rather than lowering (do I have that right?)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Bulldozer :)

Mate, I bought the rims from 'Custom Dream Cycles' in Rio Piedras, and they where made in Troup Texas by a company called 'Dew Tool & Die'. (manged to find the invoice LOL) and shipped to me in Geraldton Western Auatralia. Talk about covering some ground.

The sender from Texas was a man by the name of Donald Weeks and the contact number was 903-842-4344. Don't know if they are still in business or not as the invoice is dated 4-18-08. However I am sure there are others make rims for the v2k now.

Total cost for both rims ... I think around $2000, cant find the second invoice. I bought the rear rim first and about 6 months later the front.

Hope this helps.

Its a shame, the V2K is an amazing bike but no-one seems to be making much in the way of after market parts for it. There is truck loads of stuff you can buy for any almost any other cruiser but the V2K ... next to nothing. Its as though the industry turned its back on the beast :confused:

Its a conspiracy i tell you :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is the first modification I did to mine three years ago. It works fine, looks great, and is fairly easy to install. I have some pics on the VROC site member 5254.
Love it mag44laf. That two inches makes the world of difference to the bikes overall presence :cool:

·
Registered
864 Posts

Mate, I bought the rims from 'Custom Dream Cycles' in Rio Piedras, and they where made in Troup Texas by a company called 'Dew Tool & Die'. (manged to find the invoice LOL) and shipped to me in Geraldton Western Auatralia. Talk about covering some ground.

The sender from Texas was a man by the name of Donald Weeks and the contact number was 903-842-4344. Don't know if they are still in business or not as the invoice is dated 4-18-08. However I am sure there are others make rims for the v2k now.

Total cost for both rims ... I think around $2000, cant find the second invoice. I bought the rear rim first and about 6 months later the front.

Hope this helps.

Its a shame, the V2K is an amazing bike but no-one seems to be making much in the way of after market parts for it. There is truck loads of stuff you can buy for any almost any other cruiser but the V2K ... next to nothing. Its as though the industry turned its back on the beast :confused:

Thanks Metric i will see if i can locate him, i had my stock wheels polished out a couple of years ago and they look good but it requires alot of elbow grease to keep em shiny... Bulldozer

·
Registered
52 Posts

I think a big bore kit would be appropriate, you never know when you might need it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts