Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have few questions for the ones who has lowering kit, 2 inch, installed.
I know that the rear wheel travel is 100 mm, measured, supposed, at the rear wheel shaft.
After installing the 2 inch lowering kit, this means the rear wheel shaft travel will became 50 mm ?
In this case the rear shock absorber needs different settings on spring preload and on "rebound dumping force" ?
When riding over bumps, and spring is maximum compressed, can happen that fender will hit/touch the tire?
How much the comfort and handeling is affected?

Thanks for answers in advance.
Marcel

·
Registered
319 Posts
lowering

Shock travel is the same. All the kit does is move the mount point. You loose actual suspension travel, but not shock travel. With stock tire, you won't rub. I reworked my swing arm to lower mine 2"'s work excellant. I had one of the kits previously in mine and it seamed to bind a bit

·
Registered
319 Posts
lowering

I made a jig and a fixture that mount to the shock mount. I then remove the shock mount from the swing arm, raise the swing arm to the height I need it(2"'s is easily done),then weld the mount back on. I've had my bike done like this for awhile now. Doing it this way keeps the suspension free, keeps the shock lower so it doesn't hit the seat. At the moment, I'm going to be doing another one for a guy in western Iowa. When I get it on the jig and done, I'll post pics.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to here you again Gill,

still do not understand some things.
1. when you say 2 inch lower ...where did you measure this 2 inch ? => in my understanding means the travel of rear wheel will became lower with 2 inch, means will remain 2 inch (from a stock of 4 inch) ?
2. AME (from germany) told me that they will rework my shock absorber to lower the bike => I think they will make it shorter ?? then what do you think is better: to put the lowering kit or to rework the shock absorber ?

Marcel

·
Registered
319 Posts
suspension

Nice to here you again Gill,

still do not understand some things.
1. when you say 2 inch lower ...where did you measure this 2 inch ? => in my understanding means the travel of rear wheel will became lower with 2 inch, means will remain 2 inch (from a stock of 4 inch) ?
2. AME (from germany) told me that they will rework my shock absorber to lower the bike => I think they will make it shorter ?? then what do you think is better: to put the lowering kit or to rework the shock absorber ?

Marcel
Yes, you loose some suspension travel, just the same as shortening the shock. I prefer to keep the same shock travel(dampening) My brother manages an off -road truck team. they are sponsered by Amsoil and Rancho suspensions. Last year during their down time, their shockman Ron took my shock apart to see about lowering it. He commented it was the worst engineered shock he's seen. The valving is wrong and the spring is a bit stiff for the weight of he bike. At that point, doing anything to the shock itself is throwing money out the window. He was the guy who originally lowered my first suspension and helped build the jig. It's the only way(cut/ reweld) to really lower and keep the suspension free. This year, I'm getting the new shock progressive has out, but in stock length since I'm already lowered. If you want to lower yours, Progressive makes a -1"lower shock, The Works, makes a 2"lower. When i say lower, this is measured from the bike sitting level on the ground, with a measurement taken from the rear swing arm to ground.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you chose the lowering kit (meancycles) or your jig, instead shortening the schock, will you have enough space to mount a custom seat in the lowest position possible ? (I'm thinking that the kit/jig is coming out of the frame little bit)

I like the rear as in the picture. I think this bike has around 2 inch rear wheel travel. maybe is a good compromise between comfort/safety and lowest position possible ??

Marcel

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
lowering

if you chose the lowering kit (meancycles) or your jig, instead shortening the schock, will you have enough space to mount a custom seat in the lowest position possible ? (I'm thinking that the kit/jig is coming out of the frame little bit)

I like the rear as in the picture. I think this bike has around 2 inch rear wheel travel. maybe is a good compromise between comfort/safety and lowest position possible ??

Marcel
I had the lowering kit like mean cycles. It raises the shock up a little over and inch and causes a little suspension bind. I have a saddleman profiler endangered seat and there is no way that would mount . In fact most seats with this mod, including stock, need to had material ground on them to prevent rubbing. Now, rewelding the shock point, you can actually move the shock lower if needed. With major reworking, I could lower 3-4"'s, but after 2"'s, it's time to loose the floor boards. My next years plan is adapting Harley forward controls. Jardin makes them for te v2k, but you need to be over 6 foot tall to use them. I've got the plans to make the lowering kit. If you want a copy, pm me your email addy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
did, but it was cut up for another project. I do have the plans(drawings) on how to build one. You needs access to 1/2" steel. costs about $40 to build.
PM me your addy and I can email you the plans

·
Registered
445 Posts
did, but it was cut up for another project. I do have the plans(drawings) on how to build one. You needs access to 1/2" steel. costs about $40 to build.
PM me your addy and I can email you the plans
Thanks for the offer. But I''ll spend the extra few bucks and get it from Britt's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts