Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the slow Loping sound of a v twin with after market pipes. On my 1500 fi I could turn the idle down to get the sound I love.
I have tried turning the idle down on my stock 09 v 2k but the bike did not like it.
if I installed a Fuel manager (Power commander 5) could I then turn down the idle to get the sound I like with out Losing Driveability.

PS my 01 1500 fi has 85k and still going strong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The recommended idle speed for the V2K is 900 ± 50 rpm. Setting it too low could starve critical engine components from getting the proper amount of oil.
Yes I know just like my 01 1500 fi (It is doing fine at a lower idle)

but thanks for your input and consern

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The recommended idle speed for the V2K is 900 ± 50 rpm. Setting it too low could starve critical engine components from getting the proper amount of oil.
+1. The engine area most affected by lowering the idle below factory spec. is
the OHC and engine valve gear. The much-increased wear on these
components is not immediately apparent, but at some point down the
road likely will become critical. If a rider wants a Harley-type idle sound
it's best to get a Harley.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Injected bikes, even Harleys, don't seem get the lope like those with carbs. The older harleys sound way better at idle.

You most likely are not gonna get what your looking for from the V2K. Mine sounds best at cold start up........ but about 900 is where I have to keep it. I have tried lower, but it doesn't work well on this injected twin.

It does seem to sound more like a Chevy small block at idle, particularly with a 2-1 exhaust. However at moving speeds it sounds as good as any Vtwin on the planet.........if not better.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think it's from the fuel pulse you get with the vacuum pulse on the carb'd engines that makes it really lope. My dad's VTX1300 lopes hardcore.
I had a Vtx 1300 with several mods, and it did ok, but no one has ever gotten that Harley lope.......aka... the real " potato..potato" sound. It has something to do with the firing degree, & the dual fire ignition on "some" models. If you remember a few years ago, Harley was trying to actually patent their sound.........(didn't work). The only thing I have really heard close to that lope is "some" Yamaha Roadstars.

The VN2K doesn't lope at all, at the right idle..but it does exude some personality

1 - 7 of 7 Posts