Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a lowered (just over the tail light) luggage rack for the 2000LT? The irons in the fire rack looks most like the sissy bar frame and would be closest to what I'm looking for, the bigger the better. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I know the reason they are so high is for the license plate to fit. It is just a thought but will one from a 900 LT work. The tag is positioned below the tail light on them and I know they share a lot of the same design work. Just a though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a thread somewhere showing an adapter for a rack made for the 900 made to fit on the VN2000. Of the racks that I have looked at I have seen different part numbers for the 900 and the 2000.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the only thing required is having to drill the holes for larger bolts then an adapter kit does seem unnecessary. I'll have to do more research, I'm not sure if any of the 900 luggage racks will sit as low as I'm hoping to find.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
good luck on your research and post it back here. That would be a good nugget of info for us V2K guys. Aftermarket parts are still out there but they are dwindling down everyday.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I realize you're looking for the luggage rack that attaches to the backrest but I've been eyeing this:
http://www.bkrider.com/bkrider/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=C01020237
Thinking about buying it and seeing if it will fit over my passenger seat hardware so I can just remove the seat then bolt this down on the fender for solo trips. This way I can rest gear on the fender and strap to the backrest and not worry about it hanging off the back of the bike. 11" X 8" is plenty big enough to set a pack on. Holes are 4 1/4 X 12 on center so I need to measure that out on the fender to make sure the seat will cover the holes when not in use. Even better, find a fabricator to make one using the existing holes:) Win, win.

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I built one myself. 1/2" steel tube, tabbed to fit under the front saddlebag bracket bolt and over the read saddlebag bolt. Weight helps lock it down. Took a couple hours to fab up. No body else makes anything close that I could find.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeti, I like you did not like the aftermarket high mounts, I carry a large double stack heavy pack and wanted it low mounted for better balance. I built my own out of bar stock and plate and then chromed it. Besides being about as low as you will get without impacting the taillight it has a license plate mount below and offset, it rings the original plate mount and has an upper loop that matches the sissy bar contour which I use to slip the bag Velcro strap over this stops the bag from wiggling sideways, also use a secondary strap for extra hold down. I tried to make it a shape that cosmetically matches the contours the back of the bike. Additionally the 2000 Classic LT did not come with rear rider hand holds, again the aftermarkets are ugly, so if you look close you will see I retro fitted a set of 1600 Nomad hand holds. This is a custom install also and takes modifying the sissy bar, grinding, drilling and tapping metric, modifying the Nomad hand holds again cutting grinding and filing square sissy bar slots etc, but they look factory fit perfect and are custom fitted to my custom luggage carrier. You can remove the original plate holder but I like sticking things like gloves and other between it and the seat and sissy pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is my solution

No, I didn't make this, it's from irons in the fire, the quality is impeccable and it feels like it would easily hand any amount of weight that could possibly be put on it.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts