Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just lowered my Vulcan 900 custom 2" and installed the rear pulley. Overall I'm very pleased with the new look and performance of the bike. In fact I was practicing low speed maneuvers and it seemed a lot easier now. That being said when I dip it low on a right hand turn my exhaust drags. I've already adjusted the preload and that helped but didn't solve the issue. I figure I have two options I can either get a new exhaust or adjust it back to 1". Do any of you have any other fixes for this? Also does anyone know if I bought the freedom 2 to one exhaust system if that would solve the problem?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hmmm, interesting.

I wandered out to the garage and took a look at my Custom.

I'm dropped 2" and have the rear shock on 5. I have the 230 rear tire.

My right peg drags before the exhaust does.

You must be lower than 2" then? Or your shock pre-load setting is letting the rear of the bike drop more than mine. Are you two-up riding when this happens?

Is the lower lip of your rear fender hitting the belt guard a lot? My rear fender makes periodic contact with the top flat edge of the belt guard - I can see the scuff/witness marks on the belt guard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My rear shock is on the second to the highest setting, I'm riding solo, and no I'm not yet seeing wear on my fenders lower lip. My cobra exhaust is just long and stick out past even my axle by about 2 inches. I don't remember the exact model of exhaust and like I mentioned before I can only manage to drag when I really dip the bike in a low right hand turn. it also only scrapes the last 3/4" of the exhaust.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
How do your pipes mount at the rear mounting bracket? Is the bracket slotted to allow for adjustment up and down of the pipes? If so maybe you can adjust them up in the rear a bit to stop them from scraping. The bracket for my Roadburner Big 3" Straights is slotted to allow for adjustment up and down which is what made me think of this. With the bike being lowered in the rear only it's going to angle the back of the bike down and everything else attached to the frame which is why it's dragging only the rear of the pipes when you scrape. If your bracket is slotted you can angle them up a bit and prevent it. Or maybe you can modify the bracket to allow for the adjustment. Just my opinion.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Sure thing. Let us know if it works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same problem with my Custom years ago. I lowered mine 3 inches and used to grit my teeth making tight right turns. The bike looked so damn nice with the rear tucked in that I was on a mission to make the combo work. So after staring at the bike for a while, a bulb in my head lit up. If the rear of the pipes aren`t fixed in place and the head pipe flanges are loose, the pipes will actually rotate upward a pretty good bit. So I took the rear bracket off and used a rat-tail file to elongate the holes to allow the pipes to mount higher. With some trial and error, I got them almost level. Bought it new in `09, did pipes and the mod in `10 and have never dragged the pipes since. She looks nice, she handles nice and she sounds nice....all is good. I pitched this a long time ago in an old thread but nobody bit for some reason. I do know from hanging around the forum for a few years that the gap in the rear fender drives everyone nuts, but scraping pipes is one of the biggest reasons for not lowering them to fix it. So, there`s your answer brother...start hacking!!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I had the same problem with my Custom years ago. I lowered mine 3 inches and used to grit my teeth making tight right turns. The bike looked so damn nice with the rear tucked in that I was on a mission to make the combo work. So after staring at the bike for a while, a bulb in my head lit up. If the rear of the pipes aren`t fixed in place and the head pipe flanges are loose, the pipes will actually rotate upward a pretty good bit. So I took the rear bracket off and used a rat-tail file to elongate the holes to allow the pipes to mount higher. With some trial and error, I got them almost level. Bought it new in `09, did pipes and the mod in `10 and have never dragged the pipes since. She looks nice, she handles nice and she sounds nice....all is good. I pitched this a long time ago in an old thread but nobody bit for some reason. I do know from hanging around the forum for a few years that the gap in the rear fender drives everyone nuts, but scraping pipes is one of the biggest reasons for not lowering them to fix it. So, there`s your answer brother...start hacking!!
Psssssttt....that's what I suggested :) LOL
The rear fender on the custom was the only component about the 900 that I didn't like. At all. That's one of the reasons I changed my bike into the bagger. I didn't think I would ever change it again, but alas I'm about to take her to another level. I had both front and rear lowering kits (there's a thread about my nightmare with scootworks getting them last year) but if I had lowered the bike at all, I would be scraping the rear fender 90% of the time I'm on the bike. Now that I'm going another direction, with the ability to go back and forth between incarnations, lowering looks like it would be welcome with the new look I'm going for. Luckily, the brackets on the rear of the new pipes is already slotted for adjustment up and down so if I decide to lower it in the future, I won't have to worry about scraping pipes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Funny thing Doom, I originally was giving credit to your suggestion. I typed a long winded version of whats above and even attatched a pic only to erase the whole damn thing by x-ing out of the forum accidently. As pissed as was, I signed back in and had back at it with a short/sweet version. So...yea, what he said^ :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I looked and while there is no wiggle room in the existing bolt holes, but there is plenty more space on the bracket to either enlarge or drill new holes. Now just the tricky part of trying to get the pipes level. Thanks again guys I'll try to update with pics.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Funny thing Doom, I originally was giving credit to your suggestion. I typed a long winded version of whats above and even attatched a pic only to erase the whole damn thing by x-ing out of the forum accidently. As pissed as was, I signed back in and had back at it with a short/sweet version. So...yea, what he said^ :)
LOL I figured that. That's why I gave ya that little rib

·
Registered
45 Posts
What I did was loosen everything up, but leave the pipes and bracket still attached. Pushing up on the pipes, watch what the bracket does and try to predict were the holes need to be elongated. Use a file instead of drilling holes because in this case, a little bit actually goes a long way....you`ll be surprised! Like I said, it took some trial and error, but was well worth the hour or two that it took. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts