Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on getting a solo seat for the look, but after lowering my 900 2" I have found my tailbone to be quite sore after an hour in the saddle. I never had this issue before lowering (I also added 2" handlebar risers so I am also sitting slightly further back) but I think it because I'm actually sitting where the backrest meets the seat instead of sitting on the flat of the seat.

Now I'm trying to decide between the willie and max solo or the saddlemen solo seat... I think the saddlemen looks like it fits the bike better, but I like the look of the willie and max (shorter in the back, less pronounced back support - which may be a good thing if that is the issue with the stock??)

Any comments about either seat would be helpful. I found the below link which is a good comparison as well if anyone else is looking to make the same decision.

http://motorides.com/index2/solo-seats-vulcan-900/

- KB

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
nope it wouldn't be shocks.....specially since the 900 only has 1 shock on the rear...the scootworks kit and MOST (if not all) others replace one of the linkages in the suspension.....it does not affect ride as the spring and shock rates are not changed..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keep in mind that some aftermarket seats will put your seat hight a bit higher. I bought a mustang seat with the back rest. I had to buy either risers or handle bars as it made me feel like I was on my crotch rocket. So I went with new 1700 classic bars. But absolutely no sore butt after the new seat. Very comfortable and I usually do 200 - 300 mile rides in the Washington mountains. Not sure if that helps ya.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
nope it wouldn't be shocks.....specially since the 900 only has 1 shock on the rear...the scootworks kit and MOST (if not all) others replace one of the linkages in the suspension.....it does not affect ride as the spring and shock rates are not changed..
So, it's a lowering block? That's why I asked . . . trying to understand what exactly he did to the bike.

And, with almost any type of lowering block (linkage change, etc), the ride will still be changed. Since you're changing the angle of the shock travel, you're STILL going to lose a bit of ride "softness". I've done these modifications to bikes, too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the input. any other opinions on the 2 solo seats would still help. You are correct HRH Z that the angle has changed, which is why think leabing towards the willie and max seat. I also think i need to bump the preload on the shock up. I believe I'm still at 4 - I;ve been meaning to bump it up 1 notch, forgot to do this during the lower as I ran out of time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Willie & Max solo seat on my '09 Custom. I really like the looks and the feel is good. it takes some time/miles to get used to the change. I have a Baron's 2" lowering kit on it and I loosed the triple trees clamps and lose the front fork tubes up through the clamps to bring the front end back down to a more "level" look. this makes the fork tubes stand up about 2" above the surface of the triple clamp but I think they look OK and I like the front looking level. I won't say the W&M seat is real comfortable but for me it is slightly more comfortable than stock and I only ride about 1hour max before stopping anyway. My wife has a 2010 Vulcan Custom (different colors hers is red, mine is burnt orange), and she prefers the stock Kawasaki seat. She has a short inseam and doesn't want to try the other seats since most people say they move you up and toward the tank a little.

... Larry S
Orlando, Florida

·
Registered
34 Posts
kdbarry ... I did the aforementioned writeup @ http://motorides.com/solo-seats-vulcan-900/

The short of the long ... the Saddleman was better for long distance trips because of the lower back support but it did push the rider position fwd. The Willie & Max has a more comfortable seat position and I actually preferred how it feels even over the Corbin I have now. I have done 1k trips / 400 day on the W&M but its a flatter seat pan and doesn't disperse the pressure as evenly as those with more contour. I even sent my back to W&M and had them put the gel inserts in it ... felt a little more like a gel seat but not much improvement for distance.

Imo they both look good but Willie and Max does fit the lines of the bike better. The Willie and Max also gives you the option of adding a pillion for a passenger. Still have the Willie and Max for sale if you are looking @ ... http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35706

1 - 13 of 13 Posts