Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm sure there's been discussion on this, I have a little cheat to share too. When trying out new seats it made me want to adjust my windshield quite often. The person before me really tighten down the bolts, so I kind of strip a couple, so it led me to this cheat. I only tighten and loosen the top two now, and leave the bottom too loose. This allows me to quickly, or more quickly raise the windshield up and down. So when I had my Mustang seat on and it sat me a couple of inches higher, I kind of like looking over my windshield which I had sat in the first Notch position. When I took my Mustang seat off and went back to the stock seat. I dropped my windshield all the way down so again I could look over it while riding. Went out on the highway, noticed a little wind so I raise the windshield up to the full up position. Unbelievable difference in the opposite way you would think! I had so much more turbulence, dirty air, with the windshield in full up position. So I dropped it back down all the way jumped back on and took it for another ride and confirm my theory. Less wind especially dirty air, with the full down position. I've came to the conclusion that it's due to the gap between the headlight and the windshield gets greater when you raise the windshield, that wind must be coming up through hitting my head and upper body creating a lot of turbulence. I am not sure how good this is for the passenger yet. I plan on not telling my wife that I lowered the windshield, and just ask her how the wind feels back there next time she rides. Anyone else have similar stories?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I could see where that would happen. Unfortunetly for me if I lower the windscreen to lowest point, I get to much buffeting in the helmet area. Maybe being 6' 2"+ is the reason.

I have the windscreen set in the lower 1/3rd with lowers installed. For me the lowers do a fantastic job of reducing the buffeting coming from the tank area. Almost forgot,I have the lower windscreen mount"kicked out" about a 1.5 inches to bring the incline more inline with the front forks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I could see where that would happen. Unfortunetly for me if I lower the windscreen to lowest point, I get to much buffeting in the helmet area. Maybe being 6' 2"+ is the reason.

I have the windscreen set in the lower 1/3rd with lowers installed. For me the lowers do a fantastic job of reducing the buffeting coming from the tank area. Almost forgot,I have the lower windscreen mount"kicked out" about a 1.5 inches to bring the incline more inline with the front forks.
Interesting, but since you're 6 2 I'm six-even, that probably puts us in about the same position with the windshield. But yes, you have a gap between the headlight and windshield, I think on my old Vulcan that had the lowers, I experience more buffeting with them on. Might have just been me. I know on my Goldwing I had all those wind wing crap on there, and the buffeting was horrible compared to the Vulcan 900!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm 5'11" and get far less wind buffeting with the OEM LT windscreen in the topmost position. Unfortunately that makes it more difficult to see over the top when riding in rain and mist so I either have to wipe the screen with my gloved hand or try to peer over the top, which isn't easy. I had much less bad weather visibility problem with my last bike which had a fairing and a more raked windscreen, but there was somewhat more wind buffeting especially with side winds.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've noticed something similar on my 800 ... I had a medium-sized Memphis Shades windshield on the bike, which came with it (got the bike used), and it was pretty good at preventing wind buffeting. Last year I had a larger one (22" tall, I think?) put on, and it's great for around town, but I get a low frequency buffet at highway speeds. It's almost impossible for me to look over the windshield, which is ok during rain. So not quite the same, but mine is mounted close to the headlights, if that helps. Also, I'm only 5'8" tall.

-John

·
Registered
66 Posts
First off windshields belong on cars not bikes.

Lol I'm kidding I have a windshield too but you are right, the best windshield I have found is a bullet fairing, I even had a batwing and I swear that thing basically made me a magnet for any debris. The air basically made its way around the windshield into me, yes it did take the face shaking helmet pulling wind away but brought all the bugs and rocks and whatnot right into me. The bullet fairing on the other hand stopped the initial wind and had no what I would call "vacuum" effect. This is what I noticed anyway. Sucks that someone stole my bullet so I'm back to using the batwing that I hate till I can get another bullet.

·
Registered
761 Posts

Lol I'm kidding I have a windshield too but you are right, the best windshield I have found is a bullet fairing, I even had a batwing and I swear that thing basically made me a magnet for any debris. The air basically made its way around the windshield into me, yes it did take the face shaking helmet pulling wind away but brought all the bugs and rocks and whatnot right into me. The bullet fairing on the other hand stopped the initial wind and had no what I would call "vacuum" effect. This is what I noticed anyway. Sucks that someone stole my bullet so I'm back to using the batwing that I hate till I can get another bullet.
I get none of that running a Batwing on my Custom.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Wow I have never had a suction effect going on on any motorcycle, that's really weird! I don't think I've ever been hit by a bug on the Vulcan with the classic LT windshield comma and actually seen a couple with it down in the lowest position slipstream right over my head. Hope you work it out

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I have the OEM windshield and I read another post about this also, I raised my windshield up to have a gap above the headlight to see if that helps with the buffeting(I get it pretty bad) If it does the I'm going to have to cut down the windshield down cause I can't see over it even if I stretch. I found a place local that can cut it down cheap or even make another windshield like the OEM just smaller. I may go that route.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the OEM windshield and I read another post about this also, I raised my windshield up to have a gap above the headlight to see if that helps with the buffeting(I get it pretty bad) If it does the I'm going to have to cut down the windshield down cause I can't see over it even if I stretch. I found a place local that can cut it down cheap or even make another windshield like the OEM just smaller. I may go that route.
I'm actually saying the opposite! I'm saying to reduce the gap between the headlight and bottom of windshield you need to lower it down all the way, this has eliminated buffeting, for me at least, I've tried it in all parts of the day from 95 degrees, with a lot of turbulence, to night riding, on the highway, it just feels really clean to me, less wind , minimum buffeting during turbulent time of day.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How about stuffing the gap around the headlight with a rolled up hand towel to see if that is the source of the problem?

I run a Memphis Fats 21". My thinking is, as speed increases low pressure forms behind the screen relative to the pressurized stream coming over and around the front. Air rushes around the whole screen to equalize the pressure, causing turbulence. Most comes around the bottom, then is disturbed coming up around the tank. But the flow coming off the top gets pulled down and disturbed and that's where helmet buffeting comes from.

About an inch of vision over the top (on level ground) seems to give the least buffeting for me. This agrees with the Memphis Shades fitting guide. I had a 17" Memphis Shades on previously with several inches vision over the top when I was sitting up straight. That beat my head silly with a nerf bat.

Fairing lowers are supposed to reduce the turbulence coming up from underneath, but they aren't cheap... for little strips of plexi and some mounts. I live without them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My Nomad has a small, factory installed, adjustable plastic shroud called a sub-windshield (Kawasaki part #39154) that fills the gap between the windshield and the headlight. I see no reason why one couldn't be installed on the 900, and I wouldn't doubt that the Nomad piece would fit the 900 windshield, or could be easily modified. Heck, it's just a piece of plastic and one could easily be made! I wish I thought about this when I had my 900. It's very thin plastic that fits behind the windshield and is adjustable up and down by loosening the bolts that hold the actual windshield. This pic should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Nomad has a small, factory installed, adjustable plastic shroud called a sub-windshield (Kawasaki part #39154) that fills the gap between the windshield and the headlight. I see no reason why one couldn't be installed on the 900, and I wouldn't doubt that the Nomad piece would fit the 900 windshield, or could be easily modified. Heck, it's just a piece of plastic and one could easily be made! I wish I thought about this when I had my 900. It's very thin plastic that fits behind the windshield and is adjustable up and down by loosening the bolts that hold the actual windshield. This pic should help.
Great info thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about stuffing the gap around the headlight with a rolled up hand towel to see if that is the source of the problem?

I run a Memphis Fats 21". My thinking is, as speed increases low pressure forms behind the screen relative to the pressurized stream coming over and around the front. Air rushes around the whole screen to equalize the pressure, causing turbulence. Most comes around the bottom, then is disturbed coming up around the tank. But the flow coming off the top gets pulled down and disturbed and that's where helmet buffeting comes from.

About an inch of vision over the top (on level ground) seems to give the least buffeting for me. This agrees with the Memphis Shades fitting guide. I had a 17" Memphis Shades on previously with several inches vision over the top when I was sitting up straight. That beat my head silly with a nerf bat.

Fairing lowers are supposed to reduce the turbulence coming up from underneath, but they aren't cheap... for little strips of plexi and some mounts. I live without them.
I may try to do that thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I like that 1 inch below eye level Zone! I think that's the sweet spot for this bike. I took my wife out for a ride, and she said no buffeting back there either, clean wind, maybe a little bit more of it, but very clean with no buffeting , I think I'm going to leave it at that spot for a while. Again I just use two of the bolts for tightening so it's easy to move up and down in case I do run into some rain.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't want to have to look through the shield, I want to be able to see over it. Put enough water or mud up on that thing and you could be blinded at a bad time.

And Memphis Shades warns you, don't put Rain-X or other water repellent chemicals on their lexan or you void the warranty and damage it. Which is really too bad, because Rain-X is the greatest thing since sliced bread on a car windshield... almost eliminates the need for wipers.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't want to have to look through the shield, I want to be able to see over it. Put enough water or mud up on that thing and you could be blinded at a bad time.

And Memphis Shades warns you, don't put Rain-X or other water repellent chemicals on their lexan or you void the warranty and damage it. Which is really too bad, because Rain-X is the greatest thing since sliced bread on a car windshield... almost eliminates the need for wipers.
I thought I read on another thread Rain-X has a special formula for those type of plastic windshields.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Okay I'm sure there's been discussion on this, I have a little cheat to share too. When trying out new seats it made me want to adjust my windshield quite often. The person before me really tighten down the bolts, so I kind of strip a couple, so it led me to this cheat. I only tighten and loosen the top two now, and leave the bottom too loose. This allows me to quickly, or more quickly raise the windshield up and down. So when I had my Mustang seat on and it sat me a couple of inches higher, I kind of like looking over my windshield which I had sat in the first Notch position. When I took my Mustang seat off and went back to the stock seat. I dropped my windshield all the way down so again I could look over it while riding. Went out on the highway, noticed a little wind so I raise the windshield up to the full up position. Unbelievable difference in the opposite way you would think! I had so much more turbulence, dirty air, with the windshield in full up position. So I dropped it back down all the way jumped back on and took it for another ride and confirm my theory. Less wind especially dirty air, with the full down position. I've came to the conclusion that it's due to the gap between the headlight and the windshield gets greater when you raise the windshield, that wind must be coming up through hitting my head and upper body creating a lot of turbulence. I am not sure how good this is for the passenger yet. I plan on not telling my wife that I lowered the windshield, and just ask her how the wind feels back there next time she rides. Anyone else have similar stories?
Played with the buffeting problem for years. Best setup with all plastic below eye line required lowers, a little wing thing, and a big ole gap above the headlight. Absolutely no buffeting at any speed. Started with a big MS windshield (forgot the model) and kept trimming the height and width down. The lowers and little wing (yeah, I know it's "ugly" to some) are home-built and inexpensive, but really deliver calm air. Since the attached photos, I've improved the wing attachments and type of plastic, and the setup looks much better, but the originals in the photos worked just as well.

Edit: I realize the 900 is a larger bike than the 500 and wind flow is different, but I performed the same modifications on a Vulcan 1500 Drifter which eliminated the buffeting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts