Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the OEM windshield on a 2016 Classic SE, but now the wind coming up from around the tank is even more of a problem and the wind noise has doubled if not tripled. Will adding lower deflectors solve this? I'd love to hear from anyone that has them and did you find it worthwhile. I'm considering taking the windshield off again if not.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts

Made bigger ones for my Nomad- cut down the wind considerably. You also need at least a 1 inch gap between the shield & headlight otherwise it creates a vortex behind the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
The 1700 Nomad has a smaller inner shield at the bottom of the main shield that you can move down if you have the main shield up as far as it will go. Originally I had this down right to the headlight but found it created more wind behind the shield that way. By raising the inner shield so there was a gap between it & the headlight fixed it. Not sure if the Classic has the same set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
Made a set for my 900LT. Could not be happier.
Blocks almost all the dirty air coming up from the tank.
4" wide X 14" tall

·
Registered
212 Posts
The 1700 Nomad has a smaller inner shield at the bottom of the main shield that you can move down if you have the main shield up as far as it will go. Originally I had this down right to the headlight but found it created more wind behind the shield that way. By raising the inner shield so there was a gap between it & the headlight fixed it.
What's happening there is, at speed the windshield causes high pressure on its front surface and a low pressure area behind it. Air rushes in all around the screen to fill the vacuum... turbulent air. A gap around the headlight lets pressurized front air come through and reduce the vacuum and thus the turbulence.

Lowers reduce the amount of air sucked up into the vacuum from underneath, by deflecting it to the side.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I raised my windshield up about 2.5 inches and now I don't get as much buffeting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts