Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have lower back disk issues and was looking for more recent information on seat/backrest options for my 900 LT. Looking at some longer rides. Besides getting off frequently, what do you recommend for driver seat and/or backrest options?

I have been reading on the Mustang seats that it changes your position on the bike. with those of you who have one, with me being 5' 5", I wouldn't want to be further back from the handle bars. thoughts?

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I have lower and upper back issues. I feel your pain brother.

I have a Mustang seat on my 900. It makes a huge difference in my ride. I am currently ( started 1 1/2 yrs ago) participating in an advance muscle building program which has increased my physical ability and pain management ten fold.

However, prior to that I made every stop that I could. I realized that any long distance riding was out of the question. Hard for me since I was once into touring. But any ride is better than no ride at all!

I feel the Mustang seat is a great option if you suffer from back pain. I should have bought the Mustang seat with the drivers backrest. I probably would've done so if it were not for my physical program changing my life. I highly recommend the Mustang seat with the drivers backrest.

Ride safe my friend.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I ride the 1600 mean streak not a 900, but have a mustang seat/backrest on mine as well and it makes a big difference. Still looking at maybe moving the drag bars back to reduce the "agressive" riding position a touch, but highly recommend the seat/rest combo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I too, have lower back issues. I had a Suzuki Boulevard C-50, quick is similar to your 900 Kaw. The Mustang saddle is worth the money! Made a HUGE difference on the riding experience of that bike. Years later, I bought a Voyager 1700. The stock saddle was good, but when I got the chance to buy a Mustang for it used, I did. Again, a big improvement. My only concern, was for my passenger's comfort, since the Mustang was shaped differently. She likes it, but I got feedback on these forums that not all passengers feel the same way. Bottom Line: the Mustang will help your riding comfort - even without the backrest You can buy the wide solo (like I did on my C-50), or the wide touting, with backrest ( which is what I bought for my Voyager).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in the same boat.....two spinal stenosis operations in the past three years. I'm finally getting back to full speed (which is why I bought the '98 VN1500e Classic). It came with a mustang seat and I have a back rest to go with it...just haven't put it on yet. It is part of my plan on restoring the bike. I sold my 2014 H-D Streetglide two years ago. The Vulcan was it's replacement. I have to say that I LOVE my Vulcan!!!
BillG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts