Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 1600 Vulcan Classic with 70,000 kms on the clock and it runs very well but now has a top speed of only 150kmh flat out. Does not use oil or blow smoke. Any suggestions on why it no longer has a higher top speed?

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
uh worn rings therefore lower compression ?? maybe. I don't run as fast as I used to. Just what is the speed limit down under ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks might be rings I suppose a compression test might give an indication. Our speed limit on most open roads is 110kmh (65mph) but on some of the long open roads you do get to open your bike up a bit. It is not too often I go above the 160kmh (100mph) but it is nice to know it is there. :)

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I'm following this thread with interest. I discovered last summer that my 2008 Nomad was topping out at 160KMH as well. Don't get me wrong, I seldom ride with the joy grip twisted all the way open. This summer I fully tuned the bike and tried the top end speed thing again only to find that she runs out of legs at, yup - you guessed it - 160KMH.

I am curious because I would have thought that a scoot with a 95 CID engine would easily achieve 200KMH. Again, please don't think that I am some kind of speed freak. I have noted that the bike really isn't as crisp as I think it should be in stock form. I am contemplating modding the intake and exhaust components yet I don't relish the thought of the expense in exchange for disappointing end results. My ride has just 19,000 miles on her (US bike imported to Canada).

Just joining the conversation.

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks., the clutch seems to be ok at all speeds and gears. Have you experienced clutch slip at 150kmh? I am not sure what that would feel like?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mike I agree that the top speed should be there. New, my bike managed to get to about 195kmh on the open road in the middle of Australia on a cross country ride. Currently is runs well, doesnt use any oil and there are no flat spots. New plugs did get rid of a top end missing problem I had at 130kmh.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm following this thread with interest. I discovered last summer that my 2008 Nomad was topping out at 160KMH as well. Don't get me wrong, I seldom ride with the joy grip twisted all the way open. This summer I fully tuned the bike and tried the top end speed thing again only to find that she runs out of legs at, yup - you guessed it - 160KMH.

I am curious because I would have thought that a scoot with a 95 CID engine would easily achieve 200KMH. Again, please don't think that I am some kind of speed freak. I have noted that the bike really isn't as crisp as I think it should be in stock form. I am contemplating modding the intake and exhaust components yet I don't relish the thought of the expense in exchange for disappointing end results. My ride has just 19,000 miles on her (US bike imported to Canada).

Just joining the conversation.

Cheers!

Mike
That equates to 99-100 MPH. My 2003 1500 Nomad would do better than that... BUT NOT BY MUCH. Could be fuel quality, climate...etc. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 2007 1600 Mean Streak with 26000km on the clock does easily go beyond 180km/h (on the speedo).
Compression test may "lie" a little. The engine has an automatic decompression device, so you only see
the "start compression" and not the higher compression while engine is running.
However, there's no other way.
Clutch could also be a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not sure what to look for in a slipping clutch at 150kmh. The rpm doesnt appear to be high and maybe a slipping clutch at that speed would not last too long? Anyone experienced in this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Agree, no clutch if RPM is o.k.
According to Wikipedia, the Mean Streak has 6 horses more than Nomad.
The Nomad got more torque. So I guess that Kawasaki did the gear layout more
torque than speed related.
I also agree, that the horses should be enough to reach 200 km/h, but only
with the right gearing and low air resistance, so no big windshield and
no upright seating.
I had a BMW 650GS (800ccm two cylinder) with 75hp.
That one hardly reached 200km/h.
I also rode a Triumph Rocket. That one was elecronically limited to 193km/h.

·
Registered
279 Posts
100mph on a wide 750lb fat tired motorcycle with a 90 ftlb torque peak at just 2700 rpm is actually very good. Motorcycles, even sport bikes, have the aerodynamics of a brick standing on end. Yes our VN1600 makes decent horsepower for a slow revving v-twin, but only about 60hp to the rear tire at 4700 rpm. At that speed the torque curve has LONG ago tapered well down to about 60 ftlb. I've had my VN1600 Classic up to about 85 easily with some more to go yet, but I'd not expect much more to maybe get to 100mph.

In comparison, my 07 BMW R1200RT weighs about 600 lbs, makes about 100hp at the rear wheel at 7500 rpm and 80 ftlb of torque at 6000 rpm. That torque curve crossing the horsepower curve at about 90 hp and 6000 rpm still leaves the horsepower curve on the rise. I have exceeded 100 mph easily on my BMW many times.

My Vulcan 1600 is set up to max torque/power at the low engine rpms that is popular for cruising the streets and highways at reduced engine speeds. My BMW R1200RT is set up to max torque/power well into the mid-range rpms to provide easy roll on power well up in the rev range. The other side of it is my BMW weighs at least 150lbs less than the VN1600, so its gets going easily from a stop even at city speeds.

At the torque peak on the VN1600, 90 ftlb at 2700 rpm, my R1200RT is only making about 70 ftlb of torque. So from a dead start the VN1600 has more grunt to get moving, so it'll still pull away from the R1200RT even though it weighs more. But, from 2700 rpm on the R1200RT keeps making 70 ftlb of torque and more all the way up to 8000 rpm, while the horsepower curve keeps increasing almost linerally to 8000 rpm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts