Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 89 VN750 since the summer, and recently its been a giving me a world of problems, here's whats happening:

-Gas fumes are very strong
-Oil leaks from more than one area of the motor (seems to only be one side though)
-Recently, the RPMs wont rise above 2,000. once it approaches it begins to bog out, no matter how much i open the throttle.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to what the causes of these issues could be, or how to fix them i'd greatly appreciate it.

This is my first bike by the way, i do have the Clymer service/repair manual, so i'm not too afraid to get my hands dirty if its something i can fix.

Thanks again, i could use any help on this.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
The first thing would be to tackle gas fumes problem.
Due to the age of the bike, the entire fuel system should be gone through...tank cleanded, petcock clean and check, all fuel lines and filters checked, carbs cleaned and checked.

Post back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sfair, i found in the manual a couple ways to check the fuel flow, so i guess i will start with that. I checked the K&N Air filters it has, and they seem to be clean...as far as i know. I'm actually thinking on taking it to Kawasaki this week to have them run a diagnostic, just since i never had one done since the purchase. Just to clear the picture a little, my bike has 24,xxx miles. I bought it with 22,xxx miles.

I also left it sitting a while (about a week) without turning it on, as i didn't have the money to buy a new battery, after running it with the new battery is when i noticed the "bogging" of the motor, and the excessive fumes whenever i come to a stop. I hope i didn't buy junker...

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
A guess on my part would be that you need a carb cleaning, at the very least. It sounds as if they are dirty and are flooding, hence the fumes. This is a very common issue on older bikes. What can happen if left un-addressed, is it can fill your crankcase with fuel, then you will have more problems than you bargained for.
Also, absolutely, the petcock will require looking at as they fail too, on a bike that old with the same results as above.

Post back with your findings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again, its been about the longest couple of months with my 750. I got it diagnosed at Kelly's Kawasaki, and they said some glomerate got sucked up into the vacuum, which in turn plugged the needle in the carburetors. It was an easy fix, HOWEVER, to repair the oil leaks, it'll cost me almost what the bike is worth!!

Not only that, but i bought a new battery from walmart, thinking i had a bad battery, and have had the same trouble with it being drained within 4-5 days of its initial charge!

I'm convinced that i need the stator replaced, however, that alone costs well over 400 dollars i hear, and may i remind you, the bike is only worth about 1100 as a trade in. I don't know what to do with this thing, i doubt i can sell it, and i dont have the money to fix it. So i have a new question:

Does anybody have experience changing a Stator?? I'd like to know if its a job for the saturday mechanic, or if i need to take it to a dealership to get fixed. Any help is appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Go here and follow the troubleshooting tree to diagnose your charging problem:

www electrosport.com.

Once you have found the problem, sit down and decide the dollars and cents end of the equation. If it makes sense, then buy a service manual for the bike and attempt the repair. It can be done by the shade tree novice with the assistance of the manual.

Oil leaks...can be easy or a real pain to repair. If the oil is pouring out, then a repair is necessary...but a drop here and there, well its up to you. I think that there is a video on replacing the stator in this classification on this site.

·
Registered
47 Posts
stator can be removed and replaced in a weekend but it does require the engine to come out.

TPE industries can rewound the stator for 69 bucks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts