Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 09 Vulcan EN500!
Went on a trip last fall and during my trip I had a sudden backfire shortly after acceleration.. Immediately following said backfire.... I was bottled necked down to about half power no high than 55mph..
I have tried seafoam, new plugs.. Im about to rip down the carb and clean and rebuild... Before I do so I was wondering if any of you wonderful people could give me any others ideas or if you know what the problem is.. I do have compression on both cylinders but low power through all gears and stutters on take off from a complete start!

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. You have made some steps in the right direction. I do not have your model, but there are some members who are very well versed on your bike. Sound like carburetor and/or fuel petcock issues. How old and what condition is the battery? These bikes do strange things when a battery is on its way out. Below is a link to the factory repair manual in case you need one. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Glad you are here with us. Be well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. You have made some steps in the right direction. I do not have your model, but there are some members who are very well versed on your bike. Sound like carburetor and/or fuel petcock issues. How old and what condition is the battery? These bikes do strange things when a battery is on its way out. Below is a link to the factory repair manual in case you need one. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Glad you are here with us. Be well.

Battery is about 2 yrs old! I always out a battery tender on it if its gonna sir for a week or more... Terminals were a little loose and have been tightened! I would say fairly good condition!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Could the backfire have pushed the carb(s) out of their boots?

·
Registered
2015 Vulcan S
47 Posts
Definitely get into those carbs, and make sure the pilot and main jets are completely clear.

I had a problem with my Ninja (very similar engine-wise) where at about 3K RPM usable power would cease to exist.
After checking the air filter, I pulled the carbs and found that it was a clogged main jet. Added a fuel filter to the fuel rail while I was in there, and it's been great ever since. Hopefully a carb once-over will grant you similar relief.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like one carb is dead, had simmilar issue round #2 completely dead, backfire busted the vacuum diaphragm or vise versa, but complete rebuild on both back up and running great

·
Registered
2015 Vulcan S
47 Posts
My Ninja 500 did the same thing - reduced power above 3k or so RPM. Ended up being a clogged main jet. Added a fuel filter, and it's been fine since.

Just noticed that I already replied to this thread... two and a half weeks ago...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts