Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have the low oil light come on when you turn the key on and not go off? When I start the engine, it goes off. Oil level is almost full so I'm thinking it's a sensor. Experts please respond. It's under warranty but if it's an easy fix I'd rather do that. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Is it a constant issue or a one time only thing?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oil idiot light comes on when you power up the electrical. You hear the fuel pump whine when it stops whining the system is pressurized and you hit the start button. Once the bike springs to life the oil light goes off... Normal.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I haven't noticed it staying on before now. I thought it cleared prior to starting. ??

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Its not an oil level light, its an oil pressure light. Until engine is at least cranked a few times, it should be on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Bingo. I'm not aware of any vehicle with a 'low oil light'. Or a 'battery light' despite a large parts-store chain having an ad that mentions the 'battery light'. The former is a low oil pressure indicator and the latter is a low charging/alternator voltage output light!

Standard behavior, as mentioned, is for it to come on when the key is on but the engine is off; and it should stay illuminated in that situation. Once the engine is running, it should extinguish. If it does not, you have low oil pressure and the bike should not be ridden until it's fixed. It IS possible for low oil pressure to be caused by a low oil level. Though on a '13 Voyager, the only way I can imagine that's possible is if it wasn't filled correctly to begin with.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Many Yamahas have a "low oil level" sensor in the oil pan. It senses the oil level and not the pressure.

The battery icon on the 1700's monitors system voltage. When my original battery started showings signs of being weak it was first noticed with the battery icon remaining on after start up. Eventually the battery was weak enuff to have some trouble starting the skoot, and that battery icon would stay on for quite some time until the charging system brought system voltage up to normal. Replacing the battery had took care of the light staying on after start up.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My memory doesn't work like it used to so who knows if anything is actually different or not. Last question on the subject. When you turn your key on, does the buzzer go off before you start the engine? My buzzer stays on until I start the engine. It seems like my buzzer used to go off before I started the engine.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Many Yamahas have a "low oil level" sensor in the oil pan. It senses the oil level and not the pressure.

The battery icon on the 1700's monitors system voltage. When my original battery started showings signs of being weak it was first noticed with the battery icon remaining on after start up. Eventually the battery was weak enuff to have some trouble starting the skoot, and that battery icon would stay on for quite some time until the charging system brought system voltage up to normal. Replacing the battery had took care of the light staying on after start up.

RACNRAY
I seem to be experiencing the same thing. It just started so I guess I may be getting a new battery next year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts