Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a line on a bike for a friend to buy, learn on and ride for a while.

Checking it tomorrow for them, this thing is 10 years old and has less than 2k miles. I'm guessing the tires are due, even if it was garaged.

Seller has recent service receipt from a local dealer that I trust. Only complaint was old gas...

The price is good and pic look like it's been taken care of. Seller seems pretty cool based on e-mails we've traded.

What's that worst/most expensive thing that can happen?

Everything I've read is that they're tough little bikes and very dependable.

I've turned wrenches on cars (racing/performance and regular), trucks, jeeps etc for 20+ years for hobby and regular maintainance, but only been into bikes for about 4 months and not quite ready to rebuild something. Yet...

Thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Have a line on a bike for a friend to buy, learn on and ride for a while.

Checking it tomorrow for them, this thing is 10 years old and has less than 2k miles. I'm guessing the tires are due, even if it was garaged.

Seller has recent service receipt from a local dealer that I trust. Only complaint was old gas...

The price is good and pic look like it's been taken care of. Seller seems pretty cool based on e-mails we've traded.

What's that worst/most expensive thing that can happen?

Everything I've read is that they're tough little bikes and very dependable.

I've turned wrenches on cars (racing/performance and regular), trucks, jeeps etc for 20+ years for hobby and regular maintainance, but only been into bikes for about 4 months and not quite ready to rebuild something. Yet...

Thanks!
Hi, I work at a Motorcycle shop and from what I can say is, the Honda Nighthawk 750 should be a great starter bike for anyone. As you already said, check the tires for wear or cracks and just change out all the fluids, oil, brake fluid, front and rear, rear differential oil and antifreeze flush and this should be a great bike and almost "bullet proof" if the price is right. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Its a CB250 not a 750. Not a lot of power, but basic and easy. 1170 miles, only a few minor scratches. If it's been down, it was gently. Swapped battery after I had to push start it (owner had it on battery tender, and it looked pretty old, so we got 5 good starts, then it gave up).

Fluids were changed, chain adjusted and inspection came back great! Tires don't show any dry rot, so they can wait a few months.

Got it for $950!

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
409 Posts
OH, you never mentioned it was a 250. I only knew of the 750's. All in all, $950 is a pretty good deal for any bike that runs good. Just keep in mind, most 250's just aren't cut out for highway speeds and really lack passing power. My friend only had her 2005 Suzuki Maurader 250 for one year because of the lack of power and quickly jumped up to the Vulcan 800 Classic.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A friend of mine bought a honda rebel 250 as a first bike. Rode it for awhile but was frustrated that he couldnt keep up with other bikes. I tried talking him into a 500-800cc bike, but he was terrified of the idea. He claimed the 250 was hard to handle so a bigger bike would be that much more difficult. Eventually I rode his bike and wow was I surprised! At parking lot speeds the bike was fine, but once you got over 20 mph or so it felt hard to handle compared to other bikes I have ridden. The added weight you get from a larger bike helps sometimes. I agree that its safer to learn on small bikes, but at some point almost everyone needs/wants a larger bike. I just picked out an 84 honda nighthawk 700 for a friend of mine for a first bike. paid $800 for it, needed nothing. Not much power as long as you kept the revs below 6k, but plenty of weight for around town and highway use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts