Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all .
I am on my 3rd fill up on the vulcan 900 classic. The first two tanks only got me 20 mpg. That's a far cry from the 45 suggested. My driving style is conservative. I was wondering if this is normal for the bike. I gotta say though I love the bike. Safe riding to all.

·
Registered
941 Posts
How many miles on your bike? If it is during the break-in period it may not do as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike is in the break in period. I believe it has a little over 200 miles on it. Why would it get less mileage during the break in period?.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You are on your 3rd fill up and you have only rode 200 miles????

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
im pretty sure that the milage would be down on a new bike during break in, however your getting less then half the normal milage, that seem to be execive to say the least. I would contact the dealer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
IMO, you've either got an odometer that's WAAAAAY off, or you certainly have a problem. I've never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage from a 900 and that includes during a break-in. I have the 3 power mods, but still drive somewhat conservatively. I run about 55-60 on the way to work, but 70 on the way home. Just cruising around, I seldom run over 60-65 (lots of twistees) and most times slower than that. I just like to enjoy the ride/scenery. I do get on it once in awhile. I can run 200 miles and fill up with a little over 3.5 gal. Get it checked out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ContentData.aspx?Contentid=82

under 'engine building' check out 'engine break in'. This is from a piston ring manufacturer (located about 1/8 mile from the GF's house actually).
Well I checked the manual. I couldn't locate any heading with the words "engine break in"

ON page 48 it just has Break _IN then goes on to describe the importance of keeping the rpm's down and then gives you a recommend shifting chart to accomplish the task. Since I have been followng this gear shifting chart I wouldn't think that was the issue. the page also give the reader the inserted fear factor of saying if the motorcycle is not used carefully you may end up with a broken down instead of a broken in bike. Thats all I could locate in the manual

I'll give the dealer a call at some pont today and let ya know what the tell me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I'm with Jimbo, get it checked out. Even during break in my 9 never got less than 40. Under normal(conservative)driving conditions, solo, I get 50 mpg consistantly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I will be interested to see the result of this one! I'd guess an odometer issue rather than some sort of engine issue, but wow. Even a Goldwing gets better mpg than that! ha ha Something's up. PLEASE keep us posted on the resolution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts