Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ride is a Vulcan 1700 Vaquero. Just yesterday, my fuel gage read a 1/4 tank of fuel with range of 60 miles. Was just coming into town with refueling on my mind. Problem; ran out of gas with no low level fuel warning, the fuel warning light did not flash as it has in the past. When I attempted to restart, the low fuel indicator pump did come on, but no flashing warning as in the past. Walked about two miles to get gas, upon fueling, had no issue starting and riding into town. Put less then a gallon of gas in, and when I filled it up, took 4.7 gals and gas gage reads full. Any idea where the low level fuel sensor is located if there is one or is it part of the fuel pump? Also, gear position indicator until engine gets to normal operating temperature is all over the place.....could be in 5th or OD, position indicator fluctuates between every gear imaginable for about 40-50 miles then is normal. Any ideas on what could cause either of these problems and solutions? Went to dealer where I purchased, service manager wanted to set up apt but stated I may have to pay entire bill depending on issue. Would like to think that both these issues would be covered under the three year warranty. Bottom line, the service manager did not give me a good vibe at all. Appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The fuel level sensor is integral with the fuel pump. It is the old "float on an arm" type. If it is defective and providing false info to the gas gauge it will be covered under warrantee. Having a skoot run out of gas when all indications is that you have gas is not acceptable and is indicative of a defect.

The 1700's have a very unreliable gear position system. None of us ever worried about what gear we were in until gear position sensors were put on skoots. If a skoot has this feature it should work and work properly, and if it does not it too is defective and should be replaced under warrantee.

I was a service manager at a Kawi dealer years ago and when hear these
stories it saddens me. My opinion is this guy is NOT a service manager, he is what I call a CIRCUS manager.

Bottom line, things should work as they are supposed to, and if they don't it should be fixed without all the B.S. and run-a-round.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I would call Kawasaki customer service and relay what this so called service manager told you. That is not the type of person who should be interfacing with customers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the intermittent gear reading is covered by warranty as i have had mine replaced already as my kawa dealer stated it showed i was in neutral at a intersection so i let the clutch out ,as luck had it i just kept it up but could have been nasty .
i also know of a few that have had the selector sensor replaced .

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven't had the fuel issue mentioned but my gear selector is all over the place. Like Ray said, I realized that this is the first bike I've ever owned that had the display so it's one of those things I chose to ignore. Probably bad on me for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts