Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine has come on twice. Both times, it has come on and gone off then come on again. But as it comes on, it looks like it's warming up before being fully lit. Does anyone else's do this? Or does everyone else's go from unlit to lit with nothing in between?

Just to provide a little more background on my situation. Both times when mine has come on, I've been near the end of my commute home from work which takes me through several entrance/exit ramps. Sometimes I think the curves on the ramps temporarily distort the sensor because that's when the light has gone off. But once I get going straight again, the light looks like it's glowing and then gets brighter.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seriously? Yours has only come on twice? I usually keep driving another 50km after it comes on. There's plenty of fuel left. Anybody know if the idiot light has a separate sensor, or is it slaved to the fuel gauge -- if one fixes the fuel gauge (with the extra resistor), does the light come on later?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sounds like the same behavior I see on my low fuel light too, Ash. Usually a little intermittent at first as the fuel level gets to that threshold where the light begins to kick in, then eventually like over the distance of a few miles stays on constantly until the refueling stop. Seems pretty normal to expect a gradual lighting up of the signal as the gas does get sloshed around quite a bit in there.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yes, that's the way the light will work; dim and intermittent at first, bright and steady as the level drops.
You don't have your year and model listed, but it might be worth your while to see if you need the fix listed in the sticky.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I think the sensor has a built in delay or something. Otherwise, the light would pop on an off eratically as the gas sloshed in a tank with low fuel. And that would be bad for the light bulb as well as anoying as hell.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yep, mines the same. When it stays steady I have a gallon left. I have my resistors just haven't installed them yet. One set measures 260ohms, the other measures 262ohms.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies. Someone asked for the model/year. I've got a 2007 classic, and I know I should do the fuel level fix- maybe over the winter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine does the same on-off for a few miles then constant on. My 2009 LT comes on at about 200 miles with a little over a gallon left. Not sure I'm going to bother to do the fix.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Were you close to empty? I have an 07. When it is near empty it will blink and fluctuate in brightness and finally be bright and full on. When the light starts coming on, I put gas in it, that always seems to fix the problem. I have 20k on mine and know I will burning some more gas up. My bike is entertainment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
they are designed to work like that... on and slowly brighten. Want to have my electrician friend do the fix this winter but just work with it for now. shoot after 28000 miles in 16 months I am pretty use to it. and mine is not just entertainment but therapy as well! hahahaha there is an ex husband who still breaths simply because I have Tink... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts