Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 09 and when I first got it I had the low fuel light come on.. I thought it was weird cuz I hadnt run it too long and never read the manual (too busy riding) to know even how big the tank was.. Well since then I have taken the tank off to put on my commander and the gauge works fine but I let it run pretty dry and never saw the light come on.. Is there a connector just for the light I might have disconnected?? I read earlier that the gauge is "all in one".. Its under warranty but I dont want to drop it off if its a connector.. Ideas, thoughts?? I will take the cover off the gauge tomorrow but other than that?? Oh, BTW, I think I get BETTER mileage with the commander than before..

·
Registered
533 Posts
Most 900's have the low fuel light come on at around 1.3 gal left. You need to check your speedo/odometer with a GPS. Past 900's were all off by approx. 5mph in speed and a corresponding amount in mileage shown on the odometer. One 900 rider said his '09 was almost spot on so possibly Kaw has corrected things.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I need to check mine with a GPS. I have an `09 and after only 50 miles it already shows that I am down to a half of a tank (the tank was full). I may have to end up doing the fix that is stickied.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's only one connector for the meter unit, so if your speedo and other lights work, you must have plugged it in, though it could be loose on one side.

My low fuel light came on today with 273km on the tank, filled it up and it only took 14.5 liters. Pretty close to the 1.3 gallons claimed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I can safely run mine until the low fuel light comes on...around 200 miles. Using three gallons usually has my needle on the "E" mark and 150 miles. I usually fill up at about 170 miles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Since I've done the fix, my light comes on right around 200 miles and when I fill it up, it takes 4 gals +/- a tenth.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Most 900's have the low fuel light come on at around 1.3 gal left. You need to check your speedo/odometer with a GPS. Past 900's were all off by approx. 5mph in speed and a corresponding amount in mileage shown on the odometer. One 900 rider said his '09 was almost spot on so possibly Kaw has corrected things.

Actually, checking mine against the wife's car, the speedo is off about 9-10%, as is common with Kawi's bikes, but the ODO only differed a couple tenths of a mile after a 350 mile round trip, and I attribute that to my ability to change to the inside or outside of the lane at will, which a cage just won't allow for. :p

I've seen other posts as well that provide similar insights, so I don't think the speed difference has any effect on the ODO. Kawi purposely sets the speedos to read a bit faster to avoid fines from a lot of the countries they import to, but I'm pretty sure if the ODO was off, there would be similar fines.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I can safely run mine until the low fuel light comes on...around 200 miles. Using three gallons usually has my needle on the "E" mark and 150 miles. I usually fill up at about 170 miles.
I usually fill up between 160-180 (takes, on average, about 3.3 gallons, at least per my fuzzy recollection :p), and get about the same... my fuel light comes on between 180 and 200 miles. I haven't implemented any sort of "fix" on the fuel guage, as I don't mind filling up by the trip ODO. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Before I did the gas gauge fix I thought the low fuel light didn't work on my bike. Turned out it wasn't coming on because I was filling up before it had a chance to come on. After the gas guage fix it came on with the needle around 1/8 full.

·
Registered
533 Posts
As far as the odometer goes, mine was off. At 14.1 miles, I showed 14.7. When I dumped those horrendous stock tires and went with Pirellis, it now is within a tenth and the speedo is only a mile or two off. Go figure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My low fuel light usually comes on at around 180 miles. The fuel gauge has been on "E" for a long time by then. I try to fill up at around 170 miles and it takes about 3.5 gallons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts