Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 08 last March and have yet to see the low fuel indicator light come on. I have been below the red on the gas gauge, but still no light and it seems to still have a couple of litres left in the tank. Do not want to run it dry as I understand it can be very expensive with the fuel injection. Anyone else have this issue and should I just take it to the mechanic to get the gauge tested.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Purchased my 08 last March and have yet to see the low fuel indicator light come on. I have been below the red on the gas gauge, but still no light and it seems to still have a couple of litres left in the tank. Do not want to run it dry as I understand it can be very expensive with the fuel injection. Anyone else have this issue and should I just take it to the mechanic to get the gauge tested.
When mine comes on and i refill the tank, Im putting in (at most) 16 ltrs, still got 4 left in the tank. Running it out of fuel hurts the FI if you have sediment etc in the tank, the actual lack of fuel shouldnt hurt it, might be a pain to restart it, but we all see dummies on the interstate who have run out of fuel everyday and most cars are fuel injected these days.

If you get motivated, get a container and drain it out with the ignition turned on and look for the light to come on. I dont trust fuel gauges, they are a visual aid, I go by how many km's i have done and how sore my butt is, i usually stop after a couple of hours in the saddle for a smoke, i fuel up then.

I cant remember if the low fuel light comes on with the rest of the idiot lights when you turn the ignition on or not.

cheers Maurice

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Forget the gauge and do the math each fill-up as to how far you should go before the next fill up. Or, reset the trip odometer at each fill up and then start getting serious about refueling around 180 miles. Much more accurate than worrying about whether the gauge is working or not.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The gauge is not accurate. Mine is currently sitting on the red and I know I have another 100-150 miles left in the tank. I always aim to get fuel at around 200 miles. Depending on how I drive, my fuel gauge shows empty at about 100-120 miles, but the yellow light won't come on until about 200miles. Even then, I figure I have another 30-50 miles before I would be pushing. Of course, I don't risk it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Agreed, the fuel gauge is pretty much useless. I also use the trip meter as my point of reference.

My light comes on around 185 miles. I usually fill up at 200. I've gone 225 and still had 1/2 gallon left when I got fuel. But that makes me a bit nervous. I don't want to run out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Read the sticky for gas gauge fix. Mine did the same thing till i did the fix. Mine is a 09 . Some say that was fixed for 09. But guess mine miss the boat.Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
70 Posts
previously I rode a 1400 intruder,3.4 litre tank no gauge or warning light, at 180km I better be in town for gas!I love the vulcans hugh tank,it was actually a main selling point for me and yes I still use the trip meter!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
You are making the assumption that the indicator light bulb is still there or is not burned out. That would be the first thing I would check.
I removed mine a week after I bought my bike because it comes on way too early and became a distraction. The sensor for the light is NOT the float which modulates the gauge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have put 4.0 gal in without seeing the light. The previous owner told me that he had the light come on once but he did not remember how much fuel it took. I try to fill up at ~ 175 miles but I know that I can make 200 without a problem.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I also use the trip odometer and fill up between 180-200 miles. The light comes on at about 160, I've learned to ignore it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok. I give. Trip meter is the best way to go.Mine is 200 miles for me. But , if he fixes the gauge it will be closer to empty and not an eighth inch belowe empty before it comes on,as it did on mine, Creates, a panic mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts