Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hidalgo is sick. Very sick.

For some time now I have noticed that Hidalgo has not seemed as peppy as Sioux. She is sluggish to start and she is sluggish to accelerate. It has been taking more and more throttle to keep up highway speeds making fuel economy very poor. I had chalked it up to the headwinds we have out here in the plains region of Texas but decided to look deeper.

Last weekend I decided to freshen and balance the carburetors. While adjusting I found that the left side carburetor idle fuel mixture does not respond as well as the right side. Also there is a more definite pulsing of the vacuum on the left side. The spark plugs are nearly identical in their 'read'.

Last night I attempted to perform a leakdown test. When bringing the piston to TDC I will hold my finger over the hose verify that the cylinder is on its compression stoke but had difficulty determining even that. I finally determined that the leakage seems to be coming thru one or both of the intake valves. I was not in the mindset to do a valve adjustment so I will do that this weekend. Here's hoping that a simple valve adjustment will bring back the compression/leakdown numbers.

If there is truly a problem with the valves I will be torn on whether to pull the cylinder head and repair them or to install the spare engine that I acquired a couple of years ago.

What is the consensus on repair vs replacement of Hidalgo's engine?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well you have a tried and tested motor that you know, so I would opt for repair unless you've already broken down and went through the other motor. No telling what kind of surprises you'll have replacing it, rather than addressing the issue head on. Though if the replacement motor is strong and worry free, you could just replace it, and fix the other motor on the bench at your leisure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have decided that Hidalgo will get the new 'heart'.

The transplant will occur this Saturday. The weather will be rain and will be the perfect backdrop for this somewhat emotional procedure.

Updates to follow after a successful road trial.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is Done!

Hidalgo’s new heart leapt to life with nary a fuss. It is almost like she was readily accepting this new organ of
combustion.

The rains left a few hours ago and the clouds are beginning to part and sunshine is peeking through.

The initial road test down the block was promising. Maybe tomorrow I can check things out more fully.

IMG_3003.jpg IMG_3004.jpg

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took Hidalgo out today for her first trip with her new engine. 462 miles with fuel economy and power much improved. Fuel economy varied from 32-35mpg depending on wind speed. The lowest was riding 75-80mph directly into a 15-20mph headwind in 5th gear.

She's Healed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts