Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was contemplating either stage 2 or full debaffle for my 2009 classic.

Have since thought it would be better to get a full exhaust system. I want the loudest commonly available production pipes there are. I don't want pipes that sound like crap, but real deep, rumble, throaty sound... Preferably in black.

What say you all?

Loud pipes save lives...

Was thinking bub's, strippers, or??... Any power gains with thes options?

Should I save myself a few hundred and just do full debaffle?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I totally get why you want louder pipes but the fact is we as motorcyclists have to re-think this or we're all going to be paying a price. California recently passed a law concerning loud pipes and other states and communities have done the same thing:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2010/08/motorcycle-noise.html

We have to remember we're in the minority, not everyone rides. And when we annoy the majority eventually they'll do something about it.

As to an answer to your question, any aftermarket pipe will be louder than stock, especially when the baffles/packing aren't installed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unresponsive to my question ;).....Which is the loudest and best sounding?....I know they are all louder.....lol:)....

Well in response to ^^^^^^^...... Commiefornia has a law for everything, it's out of control there... Lived there 5 yrs, good riddance...

You don't have to always have the hammer down, even with loud pipes if your putting along say in a residential neighborhood and not on the gas they are not that bad... I want them for pulling up on, passing cars, anything to help not getting ran over by the cell phone talking distracted car/ truck/ suv drivers out there....

I'd take a $50 ticket over this, RIP brother.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/02/03/police-motorcyclist-killed-in-montgomery-co-hit-run/

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have a full debaffle, and it helps somewhat. I see a lot more people look over to see the cause of the noise when I'm approaching from their blind spot, but it's not infallible as they can still be quieter than even some of the hot rod car exhausts on the road.

From the pipes that I've heard installed on 9'ers like my own, the Bub's have been the best sound, as far as nice low tones. They are obnoxious loud though. Riding behind the guy who had 'em, I couldn't hear my debaffled stockers at all unless I tilted my head and focused on my own noise. Last I heard he was going to try and fab up some baffles for 'em to "calm them down", but I haven't spoken with him in nearly a year since.

The Cobra slashdowns had a decent sound too, although not quite as deep and rumbling as the Bub's. I *really* love the look of the Cobra swept pipes, and have heard good reviews on the sound, but haven't heard a set myself yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Leaning towards the bubs....

Do they come in black?

And pretzel thanks for your informative write up. much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Checked the site and didn't see them offered in black. Only pair I saw was chromed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard Krome makes some really loud and deep pipes check them out
I agree they make some sweet pipes, do you have experience with them and which models of the hard krome's sound the best?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have Cobra Speedster Shorts on my 07 Classic and love the sound and the boost in performance.

As far as regulations killing us...Guv'nuh Christie in NJ went the other way citing that vehicle inspections other than for emissions were costing the state too much with no considerable ROI. Since MCs were not subject to emission's testing anyway, as of 8/1/2010, MCs are self-inspected.

·
Registered
450 Posts
love my cobras but i do think the bubs are louder never seen them in person but saw videos on youtube and this guy was way down the block and you could still hear him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have cobra dragsters on my 900 and apparently while riding I wave a huge flag that says "please pull out in front of and/or turn directly into me". When people have the radio on, talking on the phone, eatin a hot dog, drinkin a slurpee, and smokin a cigarette all at the same time while driving 90 mph halfway in the wrong lane they wouldnt for a second notice if you were riding a debaffled freightliner.
Bottom line is people are stupid and the only people that will notice you're pipes are the ones who are responsibly paying attention anyways. Youll just have to remember to pay attention to what you're doing and what joe schmoe is doin.
That little rant being done, guy I work with has a set of wrapped bubs on his 900 and they sound awesome (and loud). Seen a set on Ebay for $385, they were the chromed ones though. Thought about gettin a set for the look as well as the sound. The cobra dragsters sound great but the look is just ok.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok fellas, thanks for the replys,

Got it narrowed down to the bubs or the HK strippers in black , loving the black, but damn the bubs sound good.... Well YouTube vids anyway......??

·
Registered
161 Posts
i tried the cobra dragsters on my bike and yes they are loud , loud enough to make you totaly not to pay attention to anything but to how the pipe's sounds on every gear and forget where you are going and why, i honestly i hated my bike for that i forgot how the wind sounds and consetrated on the headake after ward , i bought the bike to enjoy the ride not to blow my head and ear drums, and by the way who has the dragsters on his bike and claims no power loss , the loudness is enough to make you not pay attention , yes i lost alot of power.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most definitely did not lose power, even gained throttle response. Any dyno test done with these pipes shows at least a 2 hp gain.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does it matter if I put the new pipes on prior to the full break in?? Should I wait at least till the 600 mi service is complete?

Btw Rode today, beautiful overcast afternoon in mid 40's... Put about 45 miles on her. Odo is up to 105 now....

To the fella that posted about his friends wrapped bub's.... Any pics by chance?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have cobra dragsters on my 900 and apparently while riding I wave a huge flag that says "please pull out in front of and/or turn directly into me". When people have the radio on, talking on the phone, eatin a hot dog, drinkin a slurpee, and smokin a cigarette all at the same time while driving 90 mph halfway in the wrong lane they wouldnt for a second notice if you were riding a debaffled freightliner.
Off topic, but I hear ya, brotha. I was almost run over 3 times last year, and every one of those douchers had a damn cell phone plastered to their face. I feel that loud pipes are going to help, but yeah, the only folks who're going to hear you are the ones whose heads AREN'T up their asses.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts