Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new bike for me, but i want louder pipes. I am unsure what to search for, or what they are called and I dont want to just drill the baffle out (sounds like it can cause engine problems.) If you could let me know what I should be looking up for louder pipes, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Drilling baffles out alone won't hurt the engine, but it is just as likely to not sound the way you expect as it is to be what you're after, and then you end up like me buying a set of exhaust pipes anyway and having a set of stock pipes you mangled with a drill and made more difficult to sell.

Be advised that if you don't change the air and fuel too, what you are essentially doing is lowering performance by reducing exhaust velocity while making it simply noisier. These bikes are pretty carefully balanced between the requirements of the EPA for emissions /fuel economy and performance. Changing any of the ratios of any of them can affect the other two, which is why I am a fan of doing it all at the same time.

As for what to get, the sky is the limit. There are literally dozens of pipes that will fit these bikes. Be aware that there are minor differences in the frames for FI and carbed bikes, so not everything that fits on one will work for the other. Just google exhaust pipes 2004 VN1500 Fi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Just google exhaust pipes 2004 VN1500 Fi"

Thanks! I guess what I wanted to know is there another word i need to add, because i dont want to replace just the cosmetics of the pipes. If i google what you say, it gives me different styles of course but they could also just purr as quietly as the ones i have which is what I DO NOT want! If i change the muffler to a loud one, i would of course do the air and fuel too. Thanks for the info!

Do i just look up "LOUD 2004 VN1500 Fi exhaust pipes"?

Also, where are the best sites for 2004 VN1500 Fi parts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have Cobra Dragsters and they got very loud after a short amount of miles. Ended up installing some aftermarket baffles to tone it down so your ears wouldn't ring after riding.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Any aftermarket pipes will have the option of pulling the baffles out if they come with them. I bought Cobra Lowboy Shotguns and I ended up pulling the 12" baffles out, bought some 18" baffles and wrapped them with fiberglass sheeting before I installed them and it's STILL loud. Just about any aftermarlket pipe will be loud; that's what they're made for. I use Bike Bandit, Partzilla, and Cheap Cycle Parts. Other guys have vendors they like too. I don't think there is any "best" place to buy parts. They all have them and some are better service than others, and some sites will be cheaper than another on any given day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts