Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Loud pipes save lives

800 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Sabre-t 
#1 ·
My 99/1500 is Way too quiet I'm getting Vance and Hines true dules with the tune up it's around 1500 I will let you know how it goes

#3 ·
Just my opinion, but bright (but not blinding) and flashing lights save lives. Loud pipes just piss off people. I think people are more aggressive around bikes with loud pipes.

I had a bike with loud pipes. Quieted the pipes a lot, added driving lights and a headlight modulator and the number of times people pulled out in front of me or turned left in front of me went from several time a week to a few times a year on the exact same commute.

#6 ·
Just my opinion, but bright (but not blinding) and flashing lights save lives.
I'll add to this by saying proper placement of lighting, IMO, makes the most substantial difference in not only other's ability to see a rider, but to convey to other's what they are seeing. While adding more/brighter static lights to the bike itself says 'here's a motorcycle'...adding a light to a dynamic/moving source such as a helmet tends to say 'here's a person' and, in my experience, garners more attention and respect. I use, and highly recommend, the Brake Free helmet brake light for both purposes: https://www.brakefreetech.com/

Sports gear Cap Automotive lighting Motorcycle helmet Cloud

#4 ·
Let me also add, you can get the Harley mufflers, stick them on your stock head pipes if you wanna save a little coin....These are the best if you want to have a good throaty sound. The V&H are great....and you can change your baffles to sound different. True, the cops frown....but when I go cruisen, I gotta put up with folks cranking their stereos to where I can't even hear a phone call or alarm on my Sena in my helmet....

Reactions: Tourer
#8 ·
I have slipons on my Nomad. They are not too loud but have a nice deep tone.
I do use them as a safety feature quite a bit.
When rolling up to a stop light in heavy traffic, some cars like to make last second lane changes at the light.
If you roll up to the light and are in their blind spot, no amount of flashing lights will help.
I like to gently roll on the throttle a little as I roll up to let other drivers know I'm there.

#10 ·
In those cases, I give a tap on the horn. With 2 wolo horns with a total of 3 dissonant tones, they hear me quite well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.