Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there (again)

Please see attached model (bike that is) with Cobra Pipes. The pipes already have baffles in them

My question - Is there anything I can do to bring the noise level down a bit (or a lot?)
The noise levels coming from this bike attract a lot of attention, which also includes the police - Here in Oz (other places too probably) they can & usually do cite you for excessive noise levels on the spot. Naturally I'd like to avoid this if possible.
I'm prepared to spend a bit to do this (but I'd prefer if possible not to get another exhaust system)

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
Vince

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have those same exhaust and removed the stock "baffles" for Cobra quiet core baffles. Not very noticeable at low speed but I can certainly tell a difference on the highway. Do you know which ones you have now?

Standard baffles are on the right, quiet core baffles on the left. You can see the stock pieces are just ridged metal tubes but the QC baffles do cut back on the noise level:

·
Registered
152 Posts
you know the answer. Trade your pipes for stock pipes. Sure there is someone who wants loud pipes and has some stokes to trade.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Graybush thanks a bunch!
My neighbours will probably say thanks also...
The ones on the right are the ones I have currently & now I know what to look for..
Off to ebay again we go....

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
If you can remove and reinstall them, you can also wrap them. This willtone them down a bit also. Should be able to buy the baffle wrap at most any bike shop. Is used most on dirt bikes I believe, but works on any baffle you can remove and put back in. Not the same wrap as you use to wrap pipes for heat, more like a fiber glass mat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Vinnie

Hey Vinnie whereabouts are you in this wide brown land of ours?
I may be able to help you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Vinnie. I have the same bike and same pipes de-baffled and I have had no problem with the police.
The information I have is that if they pull you up for some offence and you really piss them off by being cheeky or smart, then they might ping you for the noise but otherwise, any baffled pipes should not be a problem.
As for upsetting the neighbours ..., well, that's a different story.
And as for attracting attention ... the 900 will always attract attention.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Man loud pipes do attract attention. My bike is sitting in a freaking impound lot for more than 10 days now & the police wants me to spend 10 days in too for my bike being too loud; Grrrrr

·
Registered
43 Posts
previous owner put the cobra drag pipes on mine. way too loud! swapped out the original baffles for the quiet core and am much happier. still loud, but better idle and nice at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
132 Posts
previous owner put the cobra drag pipes on mine. way too loud! swapped out the original baffles for the quiet core and am much happier. still loud, but better idle and nice at freeway speeds.
Ok - I sent an e-mail a while back to Cobra asking what Quiet Core's fit the Dragsters on a 900 and they told me they didn't make a set to fit those pipes on that bike. Did your bike have Dragsters on it as well? I agree that my bike is just too loud at speed and have been considering the Hard Kore baffles but I'm not totally sold on them....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Man loud pipes do attract attention. My bike is sitting in a freaking impound lot for more than 10 days now & the police wants me to spend 10 days in too for my bike being too loud; Grrrrr
Seriously?! Man, where do you live? Nutbush?!
Must be big-time loud. The bike I mean, not you.
Lotta big loud bikes around here and doesn't seem to be problem.
Bummer to hear your problem Max.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cobra Quiet Core Baffle - 19-1/2"

Cobra Quiet Core Baffle - 19-1/2"
these were the ones i used. made a big difference, especially at idle and on the freeway.when i get on it, they are still plenty loud. i bought a stock exhaust from a guy on ebay if these start to get to me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Seriously?! Man, where do you live? Nutbush?!
Must be big-time loud. The bike I mean, not you.
Lotta big loud bikes around here and doesn't seem to be problem.
Bummer to hear your problem Max.
Oh man just today got my baby back; 30 days under sun & rain :mad: BARELY
Took them pipes off & put back the stockers :(
BTW, I unfortunately live in a lil effed up stupid country called saudia

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
Oh man just today got my baby back; 30 days under sun & rain :mad: BARELY
Took them pipes off & put back the stockers :(
BTW, I unfortunately live in a lil effed up stupid country called saudia
:eek: Police State! Wow! That is messed up. I know they are strict since they practice Sharia Law but didn't know they were strict about loudness of a motorcycle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
they don't like loud pipes there because when the bike goes by they have to cover their ears with their hands.
Which are covered with?
Yep, you guessed it.
NO TP:eek:

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
they don't like loud pipes there because when the bike goes by they have to cover their ears with their hands.
Which are covered with?
Yep, you guessed it.
NO TP:eek:
:laugh: That's what the left hand is used for there. I know when I was deployed and went to the Persian Gulf they told us not to offer anything with the left hand and if you sat down you couldn't show them the sole of your foot as it was disrespectful to them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cruiser pipes like the Cobras or V&H can all be quietened down to nearly stock level (but retaining the aftermarket look) by wrapping but not with fibre glass matting as suggested above - that is ok for bikes with packable baffles. No, if you don't want the packing to disintegrate pretty quick you need to do this: go to your nearest heating supply shop and buy some ladder tape or stove rope. Buy a metre (cheap as chips!) wrap your baffle and bind with wire, twist and cut in rings. The more you put in the quieter it will be. It is woven and does not break down easily. Don't go too mad or you will cut off all the gas flow! I have used this method several times to great effect.

At the moment I am running quick release baffles which are bungs put in just to leave home, not to annoy the neighbours, They are clamped on to the baffle screw with crocodile clips:

It means I can leave home almost silently particularly early am, park up 1/4 mile away, remove baffles in 10 seconds, put in my bag and blast off full volume. :D Video with/without to follow soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not just bikes, even cars. If they catch you with anything modified in your vehicle, they will impound it, fine you & even let you do some time. For a traffic minor violation! So retarded country with it's out-of-date laws. Even a simple dark tint is prohibited for the public but allowed for their cars those punks. Xenon lights & the list goes on...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts