Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Vulcan Voyager I have 1000 miles on it is it normal for a loud clunk shifting from 1st to 2nd. Is this something that is normal until the bike breaks in with more miles on it? Or is it a concern only does it up shifting not downshifting.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
It's normal and may not lessen much with time.

Reactions: robbyk and Ziptie

·
Premium Member
2012 Nomad
299 Posts
“The gears are straight cut. The main reason for this is that it is the most efficient way of transmitting power. Excessive friction due to the axial load generated by helical gears is avoided. The teeth of the gears are of an involute form.” Also used in F1 & racing cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tourer and Xtasea

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 Abs
55 Posts
I get the same clunk 1st to 2nd in my new to me 2011 Voyager Abs. I have found the clunk lessens with speed, somehow you have to find the sweet speed to shift and it won't be as noticeable. To be honest it is not clunkier than my VStar 650, I'm used to it.

Reactions: Xtasea

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 Abs
55 Posts
I guess I hadn’t thought about the clunk. This morning I went for a couple of hours ride and noticed that when I shifted from 1st to 2nd under 20 MPH the clunk is not as noticeable. But when I shifted from 1st to 2nd over 20 MPH the clunk is more pronounced.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I guess I hadn’t thought about the clunk. This morning I went for a couple of hours ride and noticed that when I shifted from 1st to 2nd under 20 MPH the clunk is not as noticeable. But when I shifted from 1st to 2nd over 20 MPH the clunk is more pronounced.
That's exactly my experience too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
2018 Vulcan Voyager I have 1000 miles on it is it normal for a loud clunk shifting from 1st to 2nd. Is this something that is normal until the bike breaks in with more miles on it? Or is it a concern only does it up shifting not downshifting.
Agree with other replies. I switched to full synthetic oil after I read some post that claimed it made it quieter. Same as before, just got used to the clunk as normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts