Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my bike as usual this morning and as soon as it started I began to hear a loud clicking noise. I turned off the engine and it was still doing it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Clue

A lot of missing info, most importantly is from what area of the bike is the "clicking" emanating from? The first and most obvious choice is a short in the wiring between one of the control (clutch, brake, starter button, etc.) and the starter solenoid or the solenoid itself shorting internally. Need more info. Where's the sound coming from? What year/model bike? What caused the clicking to stop? Or, have you bothered to check/change oil lately? Ever taken the left side oil screen out and looked for S**t blocking the oil pump? Was the emergency flasher on? What was the color of the weed you were smoking?

·
Registered
31 Posts
In your VN900 Service Manual, chtr 16 pg 53, you'll see that the starter selonoid is located there, as on most VN models. Click, no starter motor turning, is this correct? First check your battery charge level, or jumper the battery and hit the go button a weak battery but good connection to the sel can result in this problem. Same result with jumper or fully chg'd bat, next most likely clue is the cable connection at the starter, Remove, clean replace and tighten. Still no start, follow the frame to engine ground strap/wire and make sure there is no break or looseness. Still no start there is a 99 percent prob that it's in the starter motor, either a lot of brush dust getting in the way of a single brush contact or just plain worn brushes. See your service manual for using an ohm-meter, or use a battery jump directly to the bat terminal and see if it spins ***CAUTION***make damn sure the bike is in neutral because this will bypass all of the safety switches and diodes and could leave you under the bike!! If this works but still nothing from the go button, carefully remove and check the starter cable for breaks or shorts. Let me know.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But it does start and runs fine this is the weird part for me. I recorded the sound but can't post a video on the website. And when I turn the bike off it continues for a bit. Could it have something to do with the new pipe that I just installed? Something to tight or something like that?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Intrsng. Having no idea here, because WHAT would cause a) a clicking sound as 1st described when you went to start the bike up (engine cold) and b) also cause the SAME "clicking" when shutting down..do I have that correct?? It would not be the "pipe" (exhaust I am assuming) on startup since there would be no heat expansion of the pipe, heat shield or joints. IT SHOULDn't be the Strt selonoid on shutdown unless there was an interniitent short in the junction box or wiring harness. So, first, just to screw my head on straight, is it EXACTLY the same clicking noise in both startup or shutdown scenario? And, take your rgt sd cover off and place your hand on the starter sel (small round 1 inch cylinder in the front part of the wiring mess under there) and see if you feel/hear it clicking at the same time in both situations. If yes, then does it happen on shutdown w/diff procedures such as by switching off ignition versus putting down the sidestand while in gear or using the emergency kill switch. Try each.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FI and DFI light is the same just long-hand For Digital Fuel instead of just Fuel Injection. We are getting no where with this because (blame it on me) I can't get a decent idea of exactly what you are hearing and when. I'll ask again, for a reason please understand...is it the EXACT same clicking noise on startup and shutdown. Does it occur when the ignition is first turned on, or after it sits for a second or two, or when you hit the starter button? WHERE is the clicking coming from, the side cover area, the rear gas tank area, or the throttle body area, or??? When you shut it off, does the clicking occur immediately or after a few seconds with the key on after stopping with the sidestand. Same question in re: using the kill switch. OF course you could just stop by the Stealership and ask the wrench guy to listen to it.....

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Something was left loose and is vibrating against another part of the bike when the engine is running at low RPM as in start up and shut down. Just a thought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got p l e n t y of thoughts, but thanks for the suggestion. But Ididn't see anywhere that he said it occurred while the engine was running. If there was ONE thing I could strongly impress upon anyone that uses ANY forum (I belong to 14 including Harley, Suzi, Ducati, Honda, Aprilla and 'Busa, Vmax, and even a Chinese Clone Scoot forum) is to a) become an informed owner and the #1 point there is to download your Service Manual and read the troubleshooting section. Become familiar with the terms of your bike (the manufaturer calls it a DFI light in the service manual, so don't call it an FI light) and understand common terms and be specific. I.E., I hear a "clicking" noise...from where, how fast, how long or # of times, when (startup is not the same as at idle and shutdown is not the same as idling before turning off) and EXACTLY what precipitates the condition (i.e. did you use the key, use the kickstand kill, use the emergency kill, etc). Sure, there are simple common things that can be identified between diff makes and models of bikes, and even between bikes and cars, but there are also problems that are unique to each machine and/or owner mistakes. One example I see on this forum and Big Kaw forums in general is the ref to a "knock" in the engine, and there are actually several causes not related to poor tolerances or OEM flaws in any way (the common excuse), but rider error in maintaining the engine. But how can anyone expect to give a correct diagnosis when the owner can't even figure out whether it's coming from the crankcase left or right side or the valve covers or properly say whether the bike is idling at 850 rpm or if he/she has fiddled with the idle stop and shut it down to tick over at 650 rpm because they like the sound or if the knock comes in only at 1850 rpm under slight acceleration or at WOT?? It makes a difference whether your beating the crap out of the counterbalancer or flexing the cam chain or shanking the crank by not running enough oil pressure at low rpms. The point to my rant...if you own it, learn about and know how to talk about. Otherwise, just go to the Stealership and hand over the credit card of your choice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay, my bad in typing the last reply too quickly. Having a bad day with the wifey forgetting to bring home my brand of javajuice. There is still not enough accurate info to do more than just guess at the problem. Lacking any further real details, and as the wifey hasn't returned with my one and only vice in the world (I'm really a saint, lol) it simply isn't worth wasting further discussion, by anyone. Hell, do what the Farley guys recommend whenever there is a mysterious noise...crank it up and it will either go away or manifest the real cause with obviously broken parts. Hell, it's JUST a motorcycle! Or, like I said, get to know the machine you own and READ what has already been printed. I'm out, peace love and ride with a focused mind.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First off, how long ago did you install the new exhaust? Have your ridden the bike since? Since this seems to be the last thing you changed, it is obviously the first place to look.

Next, is the sound a click, pop, thud, clang? Is it like two pieces hitting each other solidly, or more of a vibrating something bouncing around sound? If the sound is coming from just under the right side cover, check to make sure your new exhaust isn't vibrating and rattling against the frame. Also, make sure you are not hearing the pipes expanding and pinging as they get hot, and again as they begin to cool. This could be normal for a while after new pipes are installed. It can also cause bolts to loosen over time, and need retorqued. Check all your fasteners, make sure none have worked loose due to the pipe "working in". Once you verify the pipe is not the issue, we can move on. Let's eliminate things one at a time until we find the culprit. Logically, we will start with the latest change to the machine.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I got p l e n t y of thoughts, but thanks for the suggestion. But Ididn't see anywhere that he said it occurred while the engine was running. If there was ONE thing I could strongly impress upon anyone that uses ANY forum (I belong to 14 including Harley, Suzi, Ducati, Honda, Aprilla and 'Busa, Vmax, and even a Chinese Clone Scoot forum) is to a) become an informed owner and the #1 point there is to download your Service Manual and read the troubleshooting section. Become familiar with the terms of your bike (the manufaturer calls it a DFI light in the service manual, so don't call it an FI light) and understand common terms and be specific. I.E., I hear a "clicking" noise...from where, how fast, how long or # of times, when (startup is not the same as at idle and shutdown is not the same as idling before turning off) and EXACTLY what precipitates the condition (i.e. did you use the key, use the kickstand kill, use the emergency kill, etc). Sure, there are simple common things that can be identified between diff makes and models of bikes, and even between bikes and cars, but there are also problems that are unique to each machine and/or owner mistakes. One example I see on this forum and Big Kaw forums in general is the ref to a "knock" in the engine, and there are actually several causes not related to poor tolerances or OEM flaws in any way (the common excuse), but rider error in maintaining the engine. But how can anyone expect to give a correct diagnosis when the owner can't even figure out whether it's coming from the crankcase left or right side or the valve covers or properly say whether the bike is idling at 850 rpm or if he/she has fiddled with the idle stop and shut it down to tick over at 650 rpm because they like the sound or if the knock comes in only at 1850 rpm under slight acceleration or at WOT?? It makes a difference whether your beating the crap out of the counterbalancer or flexing the cam chain or shanking the crank by not running enough oil pressure at low rpms. The point to my rant...if you own it, learn about and know how to talk about. Otherwise, just go to the Stealership and hand over the credit card of your choice.
DFI, FI, it does not matter, If you know what it means, if he knows what it means and if I know what it means, its mission accomplished!

If you TRULY want to help someone, it is up to YOU to ask the relevant questions to drill down to the fault. Not all motorcycle owners are created equal and to expect a 5 page essay on the trouble, out of the gate, is not reasonable.

The poster presents his problem, you ask the pertinent questions, do some logical troubleshooting, and guide the owner to a successful repair. This saves both time and money while eliminating tail chasing and more introduced problems.

Lectures about owner competency are not good practice.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
I agree with you 100% sfair.... and Alwaysontwo as far as the dfi light vs fi light ... well it says right next to the light "FI"... it don't say DFI......so calling it a FI light is quite acceptable weather you like it or not.... besides not everyone has a service manual so they can learn the terms that you want to hear !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Upload the video to YouTube and then post the link in this thread. I want to hear the clicking.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
OP; definitely check fasteners. I drove myself nuts for a week over a 'clacking' sound, turned out to be a bolt on my windshield that had worked itself loose. Little loctite and a good wrenching and it's all better now!

My service manual calls it an "FI" light as part of a "DFI" system, perhaps that's the confusion. The service manual has a section called "DFI", for "Digital Fuel Injection". Though, as Sfair says, it's not ambiguous. Anyone competent enough to answer his question is well aware of what he meant. On the speedometer face itself it is labeled "FI".

OP; a youtube video would be FANTASTIC. Surely you or someone you know has a smartphone? Record a quick video and upload it to YouTube, make sure to set the video to 'public'. If we can hear the clacking and see the bike, it can help SO much!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts