Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to wash the V2K this morning. I noticed the rear rim was COVERED with a pretty good coating of a very fine, black powdery dust. Since I rarely use the rear brake, I know it's not brake pad dust. Besides, it was a little different than pad dust.
The drive belt was installed by a MS Kaw dealer, runs all the way to the left. While it IS finally quiet, it appears the rubbing of the belt against the left side of the pulley is the cause of the black powder on the rim. Anyone else ever notice this?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I have a 1700 voyager and always have a fine black dusting on the rear fender. The bike is mostly white so it shows up pretty good. The belt is supposed to run on the left side of the pully with a 1/32 gap, if I remember what the dealer said right. Could still be brake dust since disk brakes dont release fullt from the rotor, there is is slight amount of pressure, 2-3 psi still pushing on the pads. I just figured it was brake dust, if not, be nice to know what it is.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if this was brake dust, I'd have no pads left, which I do. It's a different composition than brake dust, can't be anything but fine belt particles. It's on both sides of the rim, kinda rules out brake dust,IMHO.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
if this was brake dust, I'd have no pads left, which I do. It's a different composition than brake dust, can't be anything but fine belt particles. It's on both sides of the rim, kinda rules out brake dust,IMHO.
Wouldn't it being on both sides of the rim equally rule out belt dust? what does the edge of the belt that's touching the pulley look like compared to the other edge? If there's so much dust that your pads would be gone, wouldn't there be a huge loss of material from the belt, if that's what's happening?

Kind of a head scratcher.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wouldn't being on both sides of the rim rule out brake pad dust? The left side of the belt shows some rubbing vs the right side. As long as it's quiet, I ain't touchin' it.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
More than likely you find that the dust is on the outside of your brake caliper but not so much on the outside of your belt pulley its normal brake dust. The brake dust is almost ash like for the oe pad very light to the touch.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mine gets all kinds of funk on it. The light brown dust, I know is from the brake, a lot of the other junk is a little from the belt, the rest a benefit of living up here in the rust belt where any kind of road maintenance is usually overlooked for 5-10 years beyond where it would be allowed verses when I lived in NC!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts