Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday after a 250 mile ride I returned without an antenna. I had read in the past that the stock antenna from Kawasaki was $115. This is a crazy amount of $ for a little antenna, so I just went to Auto Zone and picked up a universal antenna. It came with 4 adaptors, none worked on the Voyager but I did notice the hole in the antenna was a 6mm and the hole on the antenna base on the bike was also a 6mm. So I went and got a 6mm -10 X 30 bolt, cut off the head with bolt cutters. I put the good end of the bolt into the antenna base then screwed the cut end into the antenna. The reason I did this is so when I wanted to take the antenna off to put my cover on, the antenna and the post would come out together due to the messed up threads providing resistance. You don't want to use lock tight as it will mess up the radio reception; there has to be metal to metal contact. Works great and looks great.

Antenna used: RAPTOR universal AW-RM1R Replacement Antenna Rubber Mast $6.99 at Auto Zone.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Welcome to the club. TReplaced mine a while back. Been several antennas dropped on the road "somewhere". In time, we'll be able to find one as we travel since this is a problem with the Voyager and probably the Vaquero.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Your dealer mounts the antenna when they put the bike together. 20,000 miles and I still have mine. early on folks were getting them replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I took the advise of someone else on the forum and contacted my dealer. They replaced it at no charge. I then took a rubber washer, slid it over the threads, no more problem.

·
Registered
165 Posts
antenna

Do they just fall off or what is the problem? Can I modify or fix it before it happens to my 2011 Voyager?:confused:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Do they just fall off or what is the problem? Can I modify or fix it before it happens to my 2011 Voyager?:confused:
i just unscrewed the antenna off the mount. put locktite on the threads and screwed it back in. i also checked the nut on the bottom and made sure it was snug. my reception is fine. the vibration loosens the antenna.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Agreed, it's got to be the vibration. Due to other posting concerns about the loctite interfering with reception, I went with the rubber washer. Basically the same principle as the saddle bag bolts. Antenna hasn't loosed at all. Loctite's probably simpler. Justin how do you like the Cobra Fi2000r?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Loctite on the threads may affect reception. You're losing metal to metal contact for the antenna. I'd use a lock washer before Loctite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts