Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on a little ride yesterday, about 25 miles from home. I did a down shift and the shifter didn't kick back up. I could lift it back up with my foot back to five but down shift again and only 4th gear again. pulled over and played with it a while and managed to get 3rd once. Hit the road back home in 4th and 5th. I haven't checked it out today. It's a 2010 900 Classic which I bough this summer new in the crate. I'm sick about it and don't know what to do except take it to the dealer for a fix.

Any thing I should try first?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Sounds like a trip to the dealer... If you bought it last summer, you should still have your warranty (how many miles?). Outside of not shifting down, any other issues, noises, grinding while thebike is in motion? Does the clutch feel like it's operating correctly? I am wondering if the clutch is not engaging enough to allow a down shift to the lower gears (speculation...). In any case, I'd have the dealer take a look at it. Good luck (I have the same year & model).

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Shouldn't it still be under warranty???

Looks like you beat me to it.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Would contact dealer right away to fix. Dont ride it until it is. Even if you doget it working for now, if it dont do it again for 6-8 months, when the warranty is out, its a major exspence to fix. At least this way you have the probablem documented at the dealer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is in Warranty. To the shop she goes! I suppose I'm in denial. lol Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Would contact dealer right away to fix. Dont ride it until it is. Even if you doget it working for now, if it dont do it again for 6-8 months, when the warranty is out, its a major exspence to fix. At least this way you have the probablem documented at the dealer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
This will help you a lot. I leaned this one the hard way with GM once. If you take it to a dealer and they don't find anything they still have to document it and it will help build a case for you if it COMPLETELY fails after the warranty is gone.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
A friend of mine rides a Sportster and had trans troubles last winter. Took it in and they had to completely rebuild it, $3400 that time, 2 months later had to have done again at 3700. He was very glad he had exstended warranty. # weeks later the belt broke, bought a new one and it broke 5 days later. Took it back and the shop replaced this one because the front pulley was not alinged properly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hmmmmm, just a few ideas to explore right off the top of my head.

Shifter return spring?

Shifter linkage adjustment?

Clutch lever adjustment?

Check oil level?

These may or may not have anything to do with the problem, but I would attempt to check them out if I could without harming the bike. I agree with the others that since it's under warranty, you should take it to the shop, but I would still want to know the source/cause of the problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmmm, just a few ideas to explore right off the top of my head.

Shifter return spring?

Shifter linkage adjustment?

Clutch lever adjustment?

Check oil level?

These may or may not have anything to do with the problem, but I would attempt to check them out if I could without harming the bike. I agree with the others that since it's under warranty, you should take it to the shop, but I would still want to know the source/cause of the problem.

Good luck.
Just my thinking, First thing I did was check the oil but I knew not because I keep an eye on that as I change it myself.

I am thinking clutch adjustment or likkage adjustment but am dumb on how to check or do the adjustment on a bike. If it was a car I might could figure it out.

Is there a quick check I can do?
Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
On your clutch lever adjustment, here is what I would do. Pull very lightly on the clutch lever with your fingertips just to take out the slack. Then see how much gap is between the clutch lever and the housing. If there is more than about 1/8" then I would consider adjusting the lever.

Don't know how to tell you to check the shifter linkage other than to see that the shifter pegs move in a full range of motion when up shifting or down shifting. I've never measured what the full range of motion is.

Oh, here is one other thing. Don't baby it when shifting gears. I always use the heel shifter to upshift and I stomp it pretty good. Likewise, when downshifting, I tap the toe shifter pretty firmly. Don't be afraid you're going to hurt it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Couple more questions:

How many miles on the bike? How many times have you changed oil? What kind did you use?

If you're in 4th gear and pull in the clutch lever and attempt to FIRMLY downshift to 3rd gear, what does the bike do? Any clunking, grinding, or anything? Or does the toe lever just go down all the way with no apparent effect on anything?

When you're riding along in gear, pull in on the clutch lever and rev the engine. Does everything seem normal? Will the clutch disengage the gears when fully pulled in? If the bike is in gear and you are dead stopped and holding in on the clutch, what happens if you rev the engine a little? Does the bike try to creep forward?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I always use the heel shifter to upshift and I stomp it pretty good. Likewise, when downshifting, I tap the toe shifter pretty firmly. Don't be afraid you're going to hurt it.
Boy, I am going to have to disagree with that. Especially on the 1-2 shift.
Stomping the heel shifter is a good way to bend a shifting fork and then it is only a short trip to a transmission that jumps out of gear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Couple more questions:

How many miles on the bike? How many times have you changed oil? What kind did you use?
If you're in 4th gear and pull in the clutch lever and attempt to FIRMLY downshift to 3rd gear, what does the bike do? Any clunking, grinding, or anything? Or does the toe lever just go down all the way with no apparent effect on anything?

When you're riding along in gear, pull in on the clutch lever and rev the engine. Does everything seem normal? Will the clutch disengage the gears when fully pulled in? If the bike is in gear and you are dead stopped and holding in on the clutch, what happens if you rev the engine a little? Does the bike try to creep forward?
I have 5,200 miles on the bike. I am running Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 Synthetic oil

Other than ride it home I have not done any test you describe however, I am sure It is more like I downshift and the shifter just stays down. I can lift the gear shift up with my toes and get 5th again. No problem to downshit back down to 4th but can't downshift to get any more lower gears.. It just stays there until I lift again. Clutch seems strong when in 4th and 5th gears

I will do the test you listed tomorrow just to make sure i am answering right.
But I think I am right. Below is what I think as to your questions..

"If you're in 4th gear and pull in the clutch lever and attempt to FIRMLY downshift to 3rd gear, what does the bike do? Any clunking, grinding, or anything?"..No
"Or does the toe lever just go down all the way with no apparent effect on anything?"....this with no effect on anything.

"When you're riding along in gear, pull in on the clutch lever and rev the engine. Does everything seem normal?"....Yes

"Will the clutch disengage the gears when fully pulled in?"...yes

"If the bike is in gear and you are dead stopped and holding in on the clutch, what happens if you rev the engine a little? Does the bike try to creep forward?......No

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Well I was on a little ride yesterday, about 25 miles from home. I did a down shift and the shifter didn't kick back up. I could lift it back up with my foot back to five but down shift again and only 4th gear again. pulled over and played with it a while and managed to get 3rd once. Hit the road back home in 4th and 5th. I haven't checked it out today. It's a 2010 900 Classic which I bough this summer new in the crate. I'm sick about it and don't know what to do except take it to the dealer for a fix.

Any thing I should try first?
Thanks
Heal-toe shifters are notorious for getting gummed up over time. If you have any mechanical ability, remove the bolt that holds the shifter, the one the shifter rotates on, and clean both the bolt and the internals of the shifter. Lube with a water resistant grease (marine shop) and reinstall. You should also clean the two swivel joints on the rod that goes from the shifter to the lever on the engine case. Use WD40 to flush out any crud then when dry, lube with a good quality spray oil. Do this before you open your wallet at the dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heal-toe shifters are notorious for getting gummed up over time. If you have any mechanical ability, remove the bolt that holds the shifter, the one the shifter rotates on, and clean both the bolt and the internals of the shifter. Lube with a water resistant grease (marine shop) and reinstall. You should also clean the two swivel joints on the rod that goes from the shifter to the lever on the engine case. Use WD40 to flush out any crud then when dry, lube with a good quality spray oil. Do this before you open your wallet at the dealer.
I have toe shift. Peg for heal. Not sure I have that many miles on the bike to get gummed up. But what do I know. lol

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have toe shift. Peg for heal. Not sure I have that many miles on the bike to get gummed up. But what do I know. lol
When I took my shifter bolt out for inspection it was perfectly dry. Never lubed when assembled. It's worth a shot since it's a common occurrence with all makes of cruiser bikes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I took my shifter bolt out for inspection it was perfectly dry. Never lubed when assembled. It's worth a shot since it's a common occurrence with all makes of cruiser bikes.
Got you..thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Boy, I am going to have to disagree with that. Especially on the 1-2 shift.
Stomping the heel shifter is a good way to bend a shifting fork and then it is only a short trip to a transmission that jumps out of gear.
I suppose I didn't use a good choice of words when I said that I "stomp" on the heel shifter. I should have said something like "push firmly". Of course, I'm used to riding Harleys where you have to shift them rather "positively".:) The point I was trying to get across is not to just "nudge" the pedal lightly to get it to shift.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hmm , he is shifting the linkage is not returning, so the return spring is gone or there is grit or a jam some place in the linkage .

This is his problem: I downshift and the shifter just stays down. I can lift the gear shift up with my toes and get 5th again

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm , he is shifting the linkage is not returning, so the return spring is gone or there is grit or a jam some place in the linkage .

This is his problem: I downshift and the shifter just stays down. I can lift the gear shift up with my toes and get 5th again
That's right!...Is the return spring internal?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts