Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dealer with the code to my lost key. Apparently Kawasaki doesn't cut keys from the key code anymore? Has anyone else lost their key and what did you do?:confused:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Went to the dealer with the code to my lost key. Apparently Kawasaki doesn't cut keys from the key code anymore? Has anyone else lost their key and what did you do?:confused:
Thats news to me. I was told by a dealer near me two weeks ago that they will cut keys using the code. Try contacting someone else i guess. Good luck...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My dealership told me the same thing. I assume it's because they're retarded. Your MOM says SPECIFICALLY that you should write down your key code in case you lose the key so you can order a replacement. I would call Kawi customer support and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats news to me. I was told by a dealer near me two weeks ago that they will cut keys using the code. Try contacting someone else i guess. Good luck...
If you could get me the address of that dealer I'd gladly pay the shipping costs that it might involve.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
430 Posts
lol lol lol !!!
I got a blank key from my dealership for $27.00 and that wasn't even cut yet. I had to take it to a locksmith.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's kind of mind boggling that you only get one key! Even a cheap lock that you buy at the hardware store for a couple of bucks has 2 keys!

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I only had one key so I went to a local locksmith and got two copies for less than $5 each. I put one on my keychain, one in my wallet, and put the original in a safe place. Yes, the dealer wanted over $20 for a blank and they couldn't cut it!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I only had one key so I went to a local locksmith and got two copies for less than $5 each. I put one on my keychain, one in my wallet, and put the original in a safe place. Yes, the dealer wanted over $20 for a blank and they couldn't cut it!
What kind of key did they use? The dealership told me that the key was special (as in unique)... LoL I guess I fell for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What kind of key did they use? The dealership told me that the key was special (as in unique)... LoL I guess I fell for it.

The locksmith told me it's from Italy because most keys are too thick.

·
Registered
546 Posts

I went to my local True Value Hardware the lady matched my vn2000 kawasaki key to a older mazda # X21 key blank she cut 2 keys for 4.79 incuding tax, put one on the bike's secret compartment and the other for evey day use

we have options

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
What kind of key did they use? The dealership told me that the key was special (as in unique)
it is a unique key in that it isn't the same as car key blanks. This locksmith has every kind of key available. However they don't have the keys with the electronic chips like my crown vic. Those must come from the dealer and be programmed by them. If a key is to be made from a code then they have to use a computerized cutter. If they only have the manual cutter then they can't make the key from the code. In that case they would have to copy the original key. That is how mine we're made. They used a manual cutter and traced the original key to cut the new ones.

·
Registered
427 Posts
put one on the bike's secret compartment and the other for evey day use

:confused:

Must be really secret, 'cause I didn't know the 900 had one. I'm assuming you don't mean the tool box, because it takes a key to get to that (to lift off the seat), which kind of defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
658 Posts
:confused:

Must be really secret, 'cause I didn't know the 900 had one. I'm assuming you don't mean the tool box, because it takes a key to get to that (to lift off the seat), which kind of defeats the purpose.
I guess I'm not in the cool kids club either. Anyone want to tell us where the secret compartment is?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts