Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Just curious if anyone is in the same boat as me.

Future Plans:

I have built enough bikes that even my wife says to give it a go. All metric,:D

Just really wondering what others had for a plan I guess.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yep. Scheduled to go in April. Posted for a new position in the same company and got the job. (Same job actually they just changed the Job title). I have to let them know if I want it tomorrow. Seems like a no brainer to take it, however the place is very unstable. Hardtimes for the Aerospace Industry. That and jobs moving offshore. Good luck, I feel for ya.:(

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've been fortunate, got a little scary in the winter of '08 when we cut over half of our employees. I've been at the company a while, moved up the food chain, but that doesn't mean alot anymore. In our area manufacturing and agriculture are about the only industries, we're the only manufacturer that's got everyone going fulltime and last week we put everyone on mandatory OT due to a steady influx of orders, very fortunate here. I know within the last year we've had alot more customers asking whether our components are American made or not. No real plan here, just bust my a$$ at work, make myself as valuable as possible to the company and hope the orders keep coming. Around here, there are jobs, if one's willing to work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I get laid off i'll do what i can. but if thats still not enough im hiding my bikes and claiming theft, lol.
I work in aircraft and even w/o this kind of economy it's shakey. I want to buy a house bad, but if i were to lose the job i have i'd be screwed if i did. if i do end up losing my job, i'm moving to a coast, most likely west. theres enough random type jobs there to where i can at least keep myself feed and shelterd. cant say so much for here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been laid off since May of 09. I started school full time in Aug 09, and I'm probably not gonna work a day till I'm done. It was probably the best thing that could've happened to me. I was making to much $ to justify leaving for school on my own... Life's short. Work less, ride more. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Broke my Femur in Oct. of last year, have not worked since, worked re-posted my position, and I was not allowed to bid on it, because I could not work, when the doctor says I can go back to work, I will just need to go in and "Bump" into a position, Sorry to hear you lost your job, I know the stress of that can be killer, hope you are able to turn this around in to a better job.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry you lost your job. Over the years I've heard so many people say that in hindsight, losing a particular job, although tough to go through, opened the door for them to do something they enjoyed more, or find a new career that paid better. Try to look for the opportunities that you might not have considered if you hadn't lost that position. I blew my back out a few years ago and a lot of people tried to convince me to just give up and go for disability but I decided that I'd rather view this as an opportunity to do something different in my life instead. I went back to school, first at a local technical school where I earned my AAS in Drafting, and because of the encouragement from instructors there and others I'm now in a four year Engineering Program working towards becoming a Mechanical Engineer.
Good luck with finding something you want to do and are inspired by for your next career!

·
Registered
129 Posts
older post, but thought I'd reply anyways

Lost my job last August. Went to work one day only to be walked out at 4pm with a severance package. Turns out the higher paid people weren't needed anymore, and they could fill our positions with temp employees for $10 an hour and not give them any benefits.
No notice, no thanks for the years you've put in, just get out and btw, here is some money for you, once you sign this paper ;)

I decided that working my butt off for someone else for all these years was just not getting me where I wanted to be, and I didn't like the fact that my future was in someone hands all the time, so I took a hobby added a course, and opened my own business. I am a dog groomer, and proud of it!
I now spend my days with dogs, and to tell the truth, I enjoy them a lot more than most of the people I have worked with over the years at my previous job :)
I don't make as much money yet, but hey, I work when I want, make my own schedule and I get to ride when I want...I get out of it what I put in, and I am already in the black just 4 months in. On a good week I make good money, on a slower week I make less. I am home based, am developing a good client base and I love what I do. If it gets really slow I'll get a part time job along with it and make it work.
Sometimes change can be a good thing, sometimes it is a wake up call. One thing I will say, is that it is nice to feel appreciated by my clients, it's nice to hear someone say you did a great job.
I made the right choice for me, but not everyone can do that. I hope for all you who have lost jobs come out of the situation better off in one way or another.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good for you Groomergirl! Great attitude in the face of adversity. Hope your business continues to grow and do well. Enjoying what you do is worth a lot in my opinion. Sure, you've gotta "pay the bills" but at the end of the day, if you were able to do that and also love what you spent your day doing, then you are truly blessed. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks burkbuilds, it sounds like you are making some excellent changes too.

I wish everyone the best of luck if you find yourself in this position.

It was really hard at first and since my husband works at the same place I got let go from, I am always worried he could be let go at anytime too, but he's smart. I know that between the 2 of us we can do what we need to in order to keep our house, eat and ride, and of course take care of our 3 dogs :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Title says it all. Just curious if anyone is in the same boat as me.

Future Plans:

I have built enough bikes that even my wife says to give it a go. All metric,:D

Just really wondering what others had for a plan I guess.

I dont know your skills, but I heard of a company called sheepdog cycles, they modify Roadstars, and Vstars...maybe you can start doing the same for Vulcans...I would be interrested if I could get my bike to look like some of theirs!

http://www.sheepdog-cycles.com/home

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just found out today I'll be let go in 3 weeks. Sucks. 63 and soooo close to retirement. Am trucker and not many local jobs here. At this point in life I'm not going over the road. Been there done that. LOL Only option I think is just take retirement early and work part time somewhere. Will fill the void with riding.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Just found out today I'll be let go in 3 weeks. Sucks. 63 and soooo close to retirement. Am trucker and not many local jobs here. At this point in life I'm not going over the road. Been there done that. LOL Only option I think is just take retirement early and work part time somewhere. Will fill the void with riding.
Tough break.......sorry 2 hear.....Hope all works out 4 u...........Take care.......Terry........:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry about your situation. I hope you can find something part time you enjoy, and get in more riding :) Be happy you have the bike, cheap on gas and fun !

For me it has been slow the past 2 weeks, when you're a new business, the slow times are expected, but it still isn't good. It would be nice if I could ride to pass the time, but not yet, and the starter went on the car yesterday, so I'm stuck at home bored out of my mind!

I guess it can only get better from this LOL!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can identify with that, Seadog. I'm 61 and was let go in February. I'm in the construction transportation business as a dispatcher and around here that industry is as flat as a pancake. Being this close to retirement and then having the rug pulled out from under us is a bummer. My boss called me late this week and said there would be a good chance of going back in June if his business continues on it's present course, so I have my fingers crossed.

Mean time I have been doing a blazing business in my sideline of teaching gun safety and CCW training! The best thing that ever happened to me in that endeavor was Obama getting elected and every gun owner in the country thought they needed to buy more guns and run out a and get a concealed carry permit. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
being layed off is a blessing in disguise..for some.

after coming back from iraq i was injured (lowerback, hip knee foot) so my dreams of Sherrifs or LAPD. died.. found a great paying job @ 21st century insurance in the posh corporate office..in 2006. making 50+/hr.living like a rock star" then AIG came in and TOOK over..and everything when south..Bail out money was stolen by the execs..50 billins lost..my CEO keft with a 50 MILLION dollar settlement.. 800 of us got layed off...i had a very bad car accident so i was on disability 3 days before the massive layioffs..came back my department was a ghost town. i waas reassigned to another BS department.where i handled complaints fromm ppl that lost their jobs and couldnt afford our insurance which had trippled in cost. Finnally Farmers insurance took over and finished laying off the rest of us. i was unemployed for about 7 months the 1st 4 months where fun..nov,dec jan..party party..then reallity struck ..(more credit card bills thatn income) so i started looking for a better place...i got my security licence and was working as a bodyguard part time for peanuts../now a month ago i found a Private investigator job Full time and it keeps me very busy..theres many ppl faking injuries..and milking the system(which keeps me busy) there are honest ppl that are relly hurt and deserve the medical help..but theres many who are driving around in NEW mercedes benz with side jobs and own companies or rich cops and politicians who are just being greedy..(those are the ones i preffer to bust)
so now with my security and private investigator license i plan to eventually hire former Marines and train them to be great investigators and security persinnel.and pay them fair wages. i plan to own my own firm. But
if it wasnt for the lay offs i would of never pushed myself to do something to take control of my life and do something I ENJOY and have more control over.. strive for your dreams. one of my dreams was to buy a cruiser in 2008. im 2 years late but i finally did. Semper Fidelis:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts