Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Since you dont have a key it kind of sucks, but I had a locksmith charge me $3 per key for my old boulevard c90, and for the vulcan 2000, the dealership wanted $25 per key for whatever reason( motorcycle dealers in the metro detroit area are all overpiced assholes, thats harley and metric dealers), i keep one for ridng, one spare on my main key ring, and two spares at home, little anal, but always have a key. Good luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you can get a key blank, a good locksmith should be able to key it using just a small file. I've had it done with a toolbox lock and seen it done on other locks.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
129 Posts
you have nothing to worry about. I am a locksmith and make keys for bikes all the time. Call a good automotive locksmith in your area and he will pick open the gas tank and make a key for the ignition. The gas cap has fewer waffers than the ignition and he will progress the missing cuts to make the key. There may be a code stamped on the inside of the gas cap to make a key from it.
Thank you for this information. Kawasaki is out of the key replacement business. Doesn't matter if you have the key #, vin#, title.....they no longer make keys. There used to be a site called Kawasakikeys.com that the dealers could use but it is out of business.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thank you for this information. Kawasaki is out of the key replacement business. Doesn't matter if you have the key #, vin#, title.....they no longer make keys. There used to be a site called Kawasakikeys.com that the dealers could use but it is out of business.
Wow... all the more reason I really need to get some replacements.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ahhh, the joys of a hick town. I went into my local Mom-and-Pop hardware store with a bent & cracked key (bought it that way) and the guy looked over his blanks and said, "I think this'n'll do," and cut me a key. Happy customer,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everybody - in my continuing quest for some duplicate keys, I have discovered (directly from Kawasaki consumer services) that "KawasakiKeys" is still operating, but the problem is that they only sell to DEALERS online. But I did get their phone number - 415-386-3900.

They do cut replacement keys, both from the key code as well as using a PHOTOGRAPH (kinda cool). But, at a hefty price of $35/key. They are also in San Francisco, CA, so it will also cost shipping. They also require a copy of your drivers license and registration (I guess to prevent unlawful copies). You have to call them and they will email or fax you an order form. I would have attached the PDF if this forum would allow it...

Personally I'm hesitant to pay $35/key...but it seems this is the recommended approach for a guaranteed key.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hi everybody - in my continuing quest for some duplicate keys, I have discovered (directly from Kawasaki consumer services) that "KawasakiKeys" is still operating, but the problem is that they only sell to DEALERS online. But I did get their phone number - 415-386-3900.

They do cut replacement keys, both from the key code as well as using a PHOTOGRAPH (kinda cool). But, at a hefty price of $35/key. They are also in San Francisco, CA, so it will also cost shipping. They also require a copy of your drivers license and registration (I guess to prevent unlawful copies). You have to call them and they will email or fax you an order form. I would have attached the PDF if this forum would allow it...

Personally I'm hesitant to pay $35/key...but it seems this is the recommended approach for a guaranteed key.
Have you got an Ace hardware store nearby? Those are independently owned and more often than not are very 'mom and pop' in nature. A local one might have a manual key cutting machine that can make copies based on your blanks. True Value and Dickey Bub are also independently owned chains if you have those where you're at. The reason they tend to have manual machines and chains don't is because the manual machines require some training and an ounce of skill (not really, but some...) The cartridge machines are not much more than pushing a button. Chain places don't like to waste money on training!

I used to work at an Ace store in high school. If you brought in a couple blanks for me to cut I'd probably only charge ya a buck each... if anything at all. I've seen the blanks online for $5 or so, add a buck or two a piece to cut them.. you're good to go. Another option is a locksmith. They'll definitely have a manual key cutting machine they can cut those blanks with. (It's nothing more than a cutting wheel on one side and a guide on the other, with clamps to hold each key. If it's got teeth, it can be copied. I even made working copies of keys that were bent and broken in three pieces!)

Here's an eBay link for $5 keys with free shipping. A locksmith will be the most expensive if a hardware store won't do it but it'll still only be a couple bucks. Likely no need for ID or registration, and alot cheaper than $35. No worries about it not working, I'm confident you'll get a working copy if it's cut with a manual machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you got an Ace hardware store nearby? Those are independently owned and more often than not are very 'mom and pop' in nature. A local one might have a manual key cutting machine that can make copies based on your blanks. True Value and Dickey Bub are also independently owned chains if you have those where you're at. The reason they tend to have manual machines and chains don't is because the manual machines require some training and an ounce of skill (not really, but some...) The cartridge machines are not much more than pushing a button. Chain places don't like to waste money on training!

I used to work at an Ace store in high school. If you brought in a couple blanks for me to cut I'd probably only charge ya a buck each... if anything at all. I've seen the blanks online for $5 or so, add a buck or two a piece to cut them.. you're good to go. Another option is a locksmith. They'll definitely have a manual key cutting machine they can cut those blanks with. (It's nothing more than a cutting wheel on one side and a guide on the other, with clamps to hold each key. If it's got teeth, it can be copied. I even made working copies of keys that were bent and broken in three pieces!)

Here's an eBay link for $5 keys with free shipping. A locksmith will be the most expensive if a hardware store won't do it but it'll still only be a couple bucks. Likely no need for ID or registration, and alot cheaper than $35. No worries about it not working, I'm confident you'll get a working copy if it's cut with a manual machine.
Thanks for the info - my seemingly neverending quest for replacement keys is finally over. Looks like a lot of the previous posts were right, all I needed was a good locksmith. The problem is, that was much easier said than done.

I don't know if it's this difficult for ALL Kawasaki bikes, but for anybody interested, below is a detailed account of the ordeal I've gone through to get duplicate keys for my 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic...I hope this helps anybody else who's in the same boat, esp. in the Atlanta area.

1. First, I called all the local Kawasaki dealerships. Most of them didn't have the key blanks in stock, and would have to order them - cost per blank, around $15-16 each. The bigger problem with the dealers is that most of them don't actually CUT the keys themselves. They say you have to take the blanks to a locksmith. What a hassle...I did find ONE dealer (Cycle Nation of Canton, GA) who told me they had the blanks AND also cut the keys. Only problem is, they're an hour away. I'm hoping to find somebody closer, but this at least sounds like a plan B or C. More on them later...

2. I called a BUNCH (probably a dozen) of local locksmiths (found using a simple google search for "locksmith atlanta") - and most of them say they do NOT do motorcycle keys, even if you have the blanks. I'm not sure what the difference is, but that's what they said to me on the phone.

3. I went online and found some blanks on eBay for $8/each (wish I'd seen this post earlier). Bought 2 of them. WOO HOO! or so I thought...when they arrived, I noticed they were longer than my original key. But they did slide into the ignition, so I assumed they were okay.

4. I took the eBay blanks to my local mom & pop Ace Hardware shop, and they tried cutting a copy...aaaand it didn't work. From a close inspection, it appeared that the duplicate didn't quite match EXACTLY with the original...but I'm no key expert so I left it alone. So I'm left with one spare key that doesn't work, and one uncut eBay blank.

5. Frustrated, I decide - okay, what the hell, I'll take time out of my busy work day and make the hour long trip to Cycle Nation and get this over with. Of course, when I get there, they say "oh, we don't have the right blanks for you." SH*T. I pull out the blanks I got on eBay and ask if they can cut a copy from them, and the guy tells me no, because they're not the same length. DOUBLE SH*T.

6. So I called Kawaski directly to see if I can hear directly from the horse's mouth - they give me the number to "Kawasaki Keys" (which btw is 415-386-3900).

7. I called "Kawasaki Keys" - contrary to other posts, they ARE still in business, but their website only deals with DEALERS. They do cut replacement keys, both from the key code as well as using a PHOTOGRAPH (kinda cool). But, at a hefty price of $35/key. They are also in San Francisco, CA, so it will also cost shipping. They also require a copy of your drivers license and registration (I guess to prevent unlawful copies). You have to call them and they will email or fax you an order form. Being very frugal, I'm hesitant to pay $35/key...although after this much hassle, it seems almost worth it. But one last try at something cheaper...

8. I tried once again to find a local locksmith, but this time searching for "motorcycle locksmith atlanta" - and of the top few results, some of the locksmiths that came up DO NOT do motorcycle keys (even if their websites say they do). But I found one that said they would be able to handle this task. Of course, just my luck that this person is a bit difficult to deal with, it took me calling on 3 different days, before she finally had time for me. I went to her shop, handed her my original key plus the blanks (including the one that had previously been cut by Ace Hardware) and she cut me 2 replacement keys on the spot. Charged me $5 total, but I was so happy I gave her $10.

LESSON: If you try your luck with the cycle shop guys or your average Ace Hardware shop, you're just taking a risk that they know what they're talking about, or know what they're doing, which in my experience was NOT the case, and caused me LOTS OF HEADACHES....

And once you find a good locksmith, hold on to their number for dear life...jeez...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts