Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider and call me stupid but both of my ignition keys have been misplaced.
Is there a way to get them reproduced using the VIN number or any other way? The praying to St. Anthony has not worked!!!
I appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
They keys should have come with an ID tag on one of them. The owner's manual says your dealer can acquire a new key for you using that number. My dealer didn't seem to understand that at all, but that's not surprising. Presumably, your VIN would work to find the key ID number, but I can't say for sure. Won't hurt to ask. Worst they can tell you is "no" and you're no worse off.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
When you get new keys, try to get at least two if not three-I keep one in the bike, one on a clip and a string inside my riding jacket pocket, and one in the house.

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, August 2016
80 Posts
keys

you have nothing to worry about. I am a locksmith and make keys for bikes all the time. Call a good automotive locksmith in your area and he will pick open the gas tank and make a key for the ignition. The gas cap has fewer waffers than the ignition and he will progress the missing cuts to make the key. There may be a code stamped on the inside of the gas cap to make a key from it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
you have nothing to worry about. I am a locksmith and make keys for bikes all the time. Call a good automotive locksmith in your area and he will pick open the gas tank and make a key for the ignition. The gas cap has fewer waffers than the ignition and he will progress the missing cuts to make the key. There may be a code stamped on the inside of the gas cap to make a key from it.
This is what I was thinking , my Kawi dealer couldn't even cut me a key bringing my key into them. This is probably less expensive and faster than trying to get keys from the dealer.
This is where I went when my dealer couldn't help , cut me 2 keys and they work just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
hide one on your bike ... ie back rest if you have one .... 'cause someone always has a pair of plyers

·
Registered
455 Posts
The key blanks are available on ebay. Then take them to a key cutter with open wheels, not the "box" grinder guys.

I have gotten them made at rally events for $6-7.00

·
Banned
593 Posts
Just a note for everybody - I had trouble here in Columbus finding a place to get a MC key cut. I called every dealer - all makes - and had no luck. When I was about to give up, though, a guy told me of a hardware store about 30 miles out of town that could cut MC keys. A small hardware store in a small town, and for about $2/each, I had spare keys.

So, ask around locally and call those small hardware stores!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Just a note for everybody - I had trouble here in Columbus finding a place to get a MC key cut. I called every dealer - all makes - and had no luck. When I was about to give up, though, a guy told me of a hardware store about 30 miles out of town that could cut MC keys. A small hardware store in a small town, and for about $2/each, I had spare keys.

So, ask around locally and call those small hardware stores!
Come on LLoyd .... that was just an excuse to go for a 30 mile ride:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a honda a while back just had one key. I lost it. I called a local lock smith and he said bring it by and I'll fix you up. Told him I couldn't do that but I would bring him the Ignition switch. There were numbers on it. He looked it over went and got a book looked something up in it got a card looking deal out and cut me a key. Worked like a champ. when I bought My 900 The first thing I did was go have extra keys made. Put one up in the house and one went on my key ring that I carry in my pocket. That way hopefully if I'm out riding and I lose the one in the bike I won't have lost the ones in my pocket with my house keys on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a used 2006 vulcan 1500, and it only came with one key, so I've been calling around trying to figure out how to get some spares - much harder than I would have thought! as somebody already posted, most of the dealers around only sell the key blanks, and you have to take them to a locksmith. but so far, I've called half a dozen and none of them can make the key. The only place I have found so far around Atlanta that can make a key is a dealership about an hour outside of the city.

As for being able to reverse engineer a key from the VIN, I was told by one dealer that is possible for Hondas but not Kawasakis...

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just bought a used 2006 vulcan 1500, and it only came with one key, so I've been calling around trying to figure out how to get some spares - much harder than I would have thought! as somebody already posted, most of the dealers around only sell the key blanks, and you have to take them to a locksmith. but so far, I've called half a dozen and none of them can make the key. The only place I have found so far around Atlanta that can make a key is a dealership about an hour outside of the city.

As for being able to reverse engineer a key from the VIN, I was told by one dealer that is possible for Hondas but not Kawasakis...

Welcome from S. California
I went to a True Value Hardware store the lady matched my kawasaki key to a older mazda key # x21 cut two keys for under 5.00 dollars

good luck

1 - 20 of 31 Posts