Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Losing Power and Down Shifting issues

Got two issue was wondering if any one else has ran in to. I just had to replace my stator and once I got it back I have a real issue on the down shift. If I don't engine brake through all the gears the once I stop I cannot. So if I stop and the bike is still in third then I have engage the gear, down shift one, engage the gear (2nd) then can shift to first.

Took it back to the shop that replace the stator and to meck's look at it and said it's fine. I really don't think so.

Second issue. Not all the time but every now and it just boggs down when rolling on the throttle. I really get it bad when on the interstate if I roll into and jump into the passing lane . I've been riding my 9 for over 15k miles (20k on the bike) and never had it feel like this. I am not a meck so wondering if when the stator when if it could have fried something else.

Just for info if I have a Cobra ProFlo in take, DeBaffled pipes and Fi2000r file management unit.

Any feed back or help would be really great. Hate to take it to the shop just to chase ghost if they say it fine.

Thanks

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I have read that you should also replace the rectifier when replacing the stator. If the stator goes bad it sometime ruins the rectifier or even possibly melting connectors and such. It can be a vicious cycle if both aren't replaced at the same time, as the used and possibly now defective rectifier can cause the new stator to fail again. Just my opinion, I do not have any experience with this issue (and hope I don't, but it's inevitable I suppose) but have read much in this forum about it. There is a sticky here that goes through stator issues very thoroughly. It is also recommended to install Rick's aftermarket stators as they seem to be cheaper and last longer. You can get both on amazon for under $200. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I see no one has responded yet. It is best to run thru the gears while your bike is moving whether engine braking or moving to 1st. Once we stop, not so easy to get it in 1st or neutral.

As for the power issues, this sounds like your add-ons of which I have no experience.

I had to have my stator replaced on 2007 900 custom. No other issues after repair.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Check you clutch adjustment.If it was fine before they worked on it,they may of messed with it when changing stator.You never know what or why they do stuff at the dealer.When was the last time you changed plugs.Did mine not long ago and it made a big difference.Hope it works out for you. Have a great ride!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I have check the clutch and it seems fine. As for rolling and shifting down, I do understand that but unless I engage each gear as I slow down some time it will stop in 2nd or 3rd but feel like it (by the shifter) that it's in first or all the way down. It don't do it every time so the when I start pull off I get the surprise of being in the wrong gear. Lucky so far but I worried that i get the cage on my tail ready to jump the light and I move a little and then they run all over me. Hate to do it but I guess it going to another shop cause the one that did the stator has check it and tell me it's fine. Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine reacts the swam way when down shifting, which I needed to get used to coming form a sportbike. If I recall my dads Suzuki also needed to be downshift while rolling. Figured it was just a cruiser thing.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have check the clutch and it seems fine. As for rolling and shifting down, I do understand that but unless I engage each gear as I slow down some time it will stop in 2nd or 3rd but feel like it (by the shifter) that it's in first or all the way down. It don't do it every time so the when I start pull off I get the surprise of being in the wrong gear. Lucky so far but I worried that i get the cage on my tail ready to jump the light and I move a little and then they run all over me. Hate to do it but I guess it going to another shop cause the one that did the stator has check it and tell me it's fine. Thanks again for the feedback.
You have a heal -toe shifter and regardless of the manufacturer they need to be cleaned and lubed often. You need to take the swivel bolt out and clean the old grease (if there is any) out of the shifter and the bolt. Lube with marine grease if you can find it or a good quality light weight grease. Clean and lube the two heim joints on either end of the shift rod with spray oil. Make sure there's nothing binding when it's all back together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that info, I will check that out and see if it needs it. The shop should have done that when they last worked on it but never know.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have read that you should also replace the rectifier when replacing the stator. If the stator goes bad it sometime ruins the rectifier or even possibly melting connectors and such. It can be a vicious cycle if both aren't replaced at the same time, as the used and possibly now defective rectifier can cause the new stator to fail again. Just my opinion, I do not have any experience with this issue (and hope I don't, but it's inevitable I suppose) but have read much in this forum about it. There is a sticky here that goes through stator issues very thoroughly. It is also recommended to install Rick's aftermarket stators as they seem to be cheaper and last longer. You can get both on amazon for under $200. Good Luck!
It doesn't necessarily need to be replaced but it CERTAINLY needs to be checked (along with the battery) with a good meter. I replaced my stator 15,000 miles ago and left the stock reg/rect on. Tested it, and it passed all tests. No issues since. But if it was bad, it would've probably burned up my new stator. BUT; I tested it, so I would've known and replaced it!

The vicious cycle is a cycle of part replacing and not testing! Measure twice cut once. Thorough investigation and diagnosis of all related parts when a particular system has failed is a must!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If you haven't gotten to 1st gear by the time you stop, it can be a pain to get it there. I think it has something to do with the neutral finder.

Push down (gently) on the shifter and let the clutch out slowly. The shifter will drop to the next gear. Continue this till you get to first. Not ideal, I know, but it works.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not being mechanically inclined how do I check the rectifier? I took it for granted that the shop that replaced the stator would have done that.

As for the down shifting. I did not have this issue before the stator was replace. I use to be able to down shift as I do a rolling stop. Now if I do not engage each gear or physically count the gears down it will stop moving which feels like I have reach 1st but when I try to pull off from a stop I find out the hard way that it's not. Almost had a cage eat the back end Friday because of this.

I'm worried that this as some said will be a vicious cycle of replacing parts and back to the shop numinous times. Think it about time to say goodbye to my 9.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Not being mechanically inclined how do I check the rectifier? I took it for granted that the shop that replaced the stator would have done that.

As for the down shifting. I did not have this issue before the stator was replace. I use to be able to down shift as I do a rolling stop. Now if I do not engage each gear or physically count the gears down it will stop moving which feels like I have reach 1st but when I try to pull off from a stop I find out the hard way that it's not. Almost had a cage eat the back end Friday because of this.

I'm worried that this as some said will be a vicious cycle of replacing parts and back to the shop numinous times. Think it about time to say goodbye to my 9.
The vicious cycle is easy to stop. Just test all three parts (battery, stator, reg/rect). Replace what's broken and you're golden! And no, a lot of shops don't test. In fact, a lot of shops will only test your charging voltage; and if it's low, replace the stator. Don't assume that just because they are pro's, that they are doing a professional job.

It's a long read; but this will outline ALL of the necessary tests. If you have questions; just ask!

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24679

The shifting you are experiencing is how it's 'supposed' to behave. It may take some getting used to. But clutch adjustment is one of those things a lot of shops check on every bike that passes through. It's very possible that before; your clutch wasn't ever being released fully, giving that little bit of force that was needed to shift even when the handle was pulled in all the way (but all the while wearing the clutch out every time the engine was running!) And yes, that can happen without easy detection. Regardless, you need to shift gears one by one. Generally, it's a good idea anyway to shift gears as you move and always be in the correct gear, then to slow down THEN shift. As long as I've had my 9, I've ALWAYS had to let the clutch out a little to downshift if I don't engine brake. Generally I put a little bit of pressure on the shifter with my foot, if it doesn't shift, I hold that pressure and release a little bit of clutch (not enough to even get moving if I were stopped) and it 'slides' right into gear.

It may take some getting used to but most bikes I've ridden behave in the same way. They just won't shift more than a gear (maybe two) with the clutch pulled all the way in. Sometimes they won't even downshift once! Always takes a little feathering of the clutch to get it into gear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you haven't gotten to 1st gear by the time you stop, it can be a pain to get it there. I think it has something to do with the neutral finder.

Push down (gently) on the shifter and let the clutch out slowly. The shifter will drop to the next gear. Continue this till you get to first. Not ideal, I know, but it works.
This is exactly what I do as well. Also every bike I ever owned was the same way.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Finding a Mech/Tech you can feel comfortable with can be a long process. Even more so if you are not Mech inclined.Your shifting issues do not seam to be very far off from most bikes that I have had, but does not mean that is OK either. I hate to ask but, the crankcase/gearbox oil level and or type? will be a contributing factor in hard shifting. As will clutch/shifter adjustment/lube.

As far as bogging down the person(s) may have bumped something.
I took my bike in to have a rear tire replaced, came back with new tire and the fuel controller "adjusted". The Tech swore he did not touch it. I do not use them for service or parts anymore. You should hold them to be professional, but they must earn it.
1+ on diagnostics as "Romans" and other have stated
Just my .02 Your mileage may vary

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, it's been over a year since I posted this issues and still getting replies about it.
First, thanks to all that replied. This is why I am on forums so I can share and learn.

Second, I am not an beginner so I know how to shift up and down.

Third, I now know a good number of vulcan 900 riders personally and they are all having issues with these 900's. :(

Fourth and most important. I FIXED my issue. I traded it in for a Victory Cross Country Tour:flag:. :D Wow, you know I don't have a shifting issue with this bike so guess that rules our it being rider error. :)

Good luck to any who might still being having a problem with similar issues.
I will now see if I can find a way to remove or delete my vulcanforums account. Figure I will be flamed for giving up on the Vulcan.

Cheers and Happy 4th.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Wow, it's been over a year since I posted this issues and still getting replies about it.
First, thanks to all that replied. This is why I am on forums so I can share and learn.

Second, I am not an beginner so I know how to shift up and down.

Third, I now know a good number of vulcan 900 riders personally and they are all having issues with these 900's. :(

Fourth and most important. I FIXED my issue. I traded it in for a Victory Cross Country Tour:flag:. :D Wow, you know I don't have a shifting issue with this bike so guess that rules our it being rider error. :)

Good luck to any who might still being having a problem with similar issues.
I will now see if I can find a way to remove or delete my vulcanforums account. Figure I will be flamed for giving up on the Vulcan.

Cheers and Happy 4th.
Glad your issue was fixed.(did not look at the date)
Don't delete your account because you no longer have a Vulcan. You may have some tid bit to add in the future.
I will not flame you for a brand change, heck its your money.
There is not a brand of anything that will not have issues
Ride often no matter what you ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank, Yeah I can hang on to the account. I did learn a lot about my 900 with the time that I had it and might be able to share from time to time. As for Ride often,, I do! Just came back in today from a week out with me the the better half. She rides a Can Am Spyder now and pulls a trailer for us.
And I also agree, it really don't matter what you ride as long as you ride.

The new bike (a year old to me now)
2013 Blue XCT (Nickname - Marine1)
Lloydz VFCIII
Lloydz ATS
Lloyds High Flow Filter
Bassani Slip-On Exhaust
Lloydz 1/4 turn Throttle ring
Klock Werks Clear Flip Windshield
Kuryakyn Sabertooth Taillight
Kuryakyn Chrome Taillight Top Trim
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Brake Pedal
30w LED Driving Lights

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Weird, I don't have those shifter issues, and oil levels and clutch adjustments in spec. Every once in a while if I don't down shift to slow down/stop I'll have to play with the shifter to put it in first which if it doesn't slide right in, pops into neutral which is fine too as I almost always sit at long stop lights in neutral anyway. Then pull the clutch, drop into 1st and ride on. ::shrugs:: Price and participation may vary by location I guess.

I don't fault you for going with a Victory. I had a line on a really nice Kingpin but I was about a grand short on the asking price. I really want one of those after riding it too. Someday...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Never had a shifting issue with my 06 classic 9,awesome bike
Real,ditto on keeping your Vulcan account
Does'nt matter what you ride.Just ride
Like the vic xc,sweet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts