Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I hope you can help me with this problem. I just bought my Vulcan less than a month ago (used) and the kickstand is loose in the up position, it hangs a couple of inches and drags on left turns.

I dont know if its a spring issue or a catch that has become worn...

Anyone else have problems or a known fix?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely it is the spring. Check the spring to see if it is too un-wound.
seems to be a double spring, not sure how to see if it is too 'unwound' or not. Do I just buy a new spring and see if that helps? If so, where is the best (lowest price) place to buy from with good quality parts?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I probably would. Also make sure nothing is bent. Can't really help you there unless you can look at another one and compare it to yours.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My buddy chuck had the exact problem with his 07 classic LT. It was not the spring. He and another buddy fixed it, said it was the bushing and spacers worn in the assembly. I will see them tomorrow and get specifics for you. It was a half hour cheap fix. I remember chuck riding around with a bungie holding up the kickstand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You should be able to tell just by looking at it if the spring is worn out. I ran over some wire fencing that my kids had left in the grass and I didn't see it till I was on top of it. The fencing caught on the kickstand spring and managed to stretch it out to the point where it wouldn't hold the kickstand up. I tried all kinds of springs to hold it up as a temp fix (it was a weekend and I wanted to ride). Nothing worked. I ended up getting the spring at the dealer. I don't remember what it cost, but I remember that I wasn't bent over for it.

ET

·
Registered
369 Posts
seems to be a double spring, not sure how to see if it is too 'unwound' or not. Do I just buy a new spring and see if that helps? If so, where is the best (lowest price) place to buy from with good quality parts?
you can get a spring for your vulcan for 11.50 at www.babbittsonline.com. they got everything you need for your bike and more

·
Registered
65 Posts
loose kickstand

Saw my buddy Chuck tonite. He told me he had bought a new spring first and it didn't fix the problem. What it was on his bike was that the kickstand fork (knuckle)had spread apart where it fits on the mount. He evidently had spent a lot of time sitting on the bike parked, (he's 6'4" 250+) and it had pried apart. It can also pry apart over time by setting the bike down hard on the stand when you part it. A mechanic friend took it apart, squeezed it back to it's original shape, made a bushing/washer for it and reassembled it tightly and it was fixed. If the kickstand wiggles back and forth when it is in the up position, chances are you have the same problem. Good luck and let me know if this solves it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still loose, haven't been able to get a spare spring to check out. The kickstand is all sorts of loose in the up position. I was gonna take it off and check it out, but I can't seem to get the nut loose

·
Registered
65 Posts
Need impact air tool or large breaker bar. Loosen it in the down positon before you jack it up to take it off. It's really torqued on there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
was just the spring... finally got a new one and now its really stiff... but better than dragging the ground!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well... its not the spring. the new one I bought is stretched out now too... actually to the point where it came off the kickstand the other day during a ride... that was embarrassing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the bike up on the wooden jack, took the kickstand off (I need to find a new screw for the safety switch.. they always make those things so soft they strip out)
I saw where the tab had worn loose, so I covered the engine with one welding glove, and welded a bead, ground it down..test fit, welded, ground... test fit.. put new bolt in, lubed with WD40, works like a charm now... wasn't that bad of a fix, just a pain to get the spring back on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a tip for removing sidestand springs.
With stand down and spring stretched push many coins or flat washers between the coils before lifting the sidestand. The spring will remain partially stretched and be easy to take off.

Use similar procedure to mount new spring by bending it back and forth and slip in coins until it is long enough to fit in the up position. Push the stand down and they all fall out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
OK now that's friggin genius!

I'd have never thought of that. I've fought those springs too many times.

Sorry to bring this horse back to life but I have been fighting a dragging side stand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issue. 2004 1500 classic. After leaving the restaurant as I was pulling out of the driveway,I notice my kickstand dragging. Try to kick it up and it's flopping all over and I notice the spring is missing. Found it where the bike was parked. Using a screwdriver and pliers I was able to get it back on only to have it fall off as soon as I kick the stand up. I noticed that the stand is very loose in its mounting. I ended up tying it up to get home. It's as if a bushing is missing or severely worn but I cannot find any bushing in there in the parts diagram.
It sounds like there are a couple possibilities, either the fork has spread or the hole in the frame is worn out.
My question, how common is this? If it's the hole in the frame, is there a fix without replacing the frame? That's not an option... if anyone has found a bushing to repair this, any part numbers? The other challenge doing this in my garage is how to support the bike while the stand is off. I have a craftsman bike jack/lift that I borrowed from a friend but it won't slide under the bike. It's too tall. And it looks like the bottom of the block is lower than the frame. How can I get the Jack under and how can I lift it with the block/oil pan hanging so low? Any suggestions or info would be great appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ciaó

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I also have a craftsman cycle lift. Not sure if it's the same model, but i would think there would be too much of a difference between them. If I hold the bike upright with one hand, it just fits under the frame tubes. To get around the oil pan use couple 3/4"-1" small blocks of wood in between the tubes and lift pads. I have heard of others using hocky pucks as well, if you happen to have 2 laying around. Or there's always walmart. Me I had the wood handy. Can't speak to the stand issue though, sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still dealing with this issue but I am...Same deal Matt and others - but I figured out that the very high tension on the Kawasaki double spring causes a grinding wear area over the quarter turn area where the sidestand pivots against the stand mounting tab. So - as Matt76305 mentioned above - I am going to have to weld a build up bead, grind it down, test fit, and repeat until the entire swing area is thick enough to keep the stand from sagging as it rotates. I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
643 Posts
After each time I wash the bike I use my leaf blower to blow dry it, when it is good and dry I apply a drop of oil on all of the pivot points, i.e. foot pegs, KICK STAND, etc.. The cleaning gets the dirt out and the oil on the clean dry surface stops corrosion and grinding of metal on metal.

WB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts