Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here ever take a low side crash due to encountering loose gravel in a curve (front or rear wheel)? I was halfway through one today, traveling a bit fast......but not reckless, my rear wheel hit a small patch of gravel and slid over a bit. Woke me up, but no loss of control. Underwear stayed clean.......but I just don't like that stuff! :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
I took my dual sport for a spin last night up to the store (thank god I wasn't on my VN2000LT) because it was a short trip and the bike hadn't been started in about a month. The road sign read road work ahead, uneven lanes. That wasn't exactly the case, they were planing sections of asphalt out about 2" deep and between one a two feet wide to patch (instead of correctly repair) the failing road. I was pretty close to being in the middle of the lane and my front tire caught the edge of one of these intentionally made Ohio potholes and instantly jerked the front end of the bike about 3" to the right as the tire fell into the lower unpaved section. I recovered quickly thanks no help to the fact the section cut out was less than 10' so instantly was slamming into the radius edge made by the cutter head. This was a little unnerving especially knowing that it would have absolutely resulted in a crash had I been on my big bike and that the road was left in such a state of disrepair with only an incorrect sign warning of the impending danger.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Gravel is the worst around spring when I first get the bike out usually in March. It's a bad situation cause your riding skills need sharpening due to storage time. Left over from winter this gravel is used for traction on snow and ice. Hate winters!!

I mostly ride the same twisties in a 50 mile radius from home cause I know they're clean (hopefully) and safe.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
My son-in-law hit a patch of gravel in a corner doing about 35, best he can recall. Rear slid out and went down, but upon getting to the side of the road the tires bit in which sent the bike into a barrel roll. Totaled the bike, damn near totaled him as well. Only so much you can do if you're gonna ride. After seeing the front of his helmet afterwards, he now understands why I'm such an advocate for full-face helmets!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pretty much ride like Reddy.........same roads in my area.......know which curves to watch for.........but once in a while, following a rain, there will be gravel washed down a hill from a driveway or field entrance. The patch I hit yesterday was very small.........barely visible........front wheel missed it. Yeah, I'm a big proponent of ATGATT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm constantly watching the roads like a hawk looking out for gravel. I don't take turns very fast or ride very faast so usually have time to see it if its coming. now I did lock up my rear tire the other day but nothing happened. thank god.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Here on the Dark Side of the Moon we like to 'Armor Coat' the roads. It's a process where the road surface is sprayed with bitumen (looks like oil, but isn't) and then covered with a thin layer of gravel. It's like laying small coats of asphalt onto the road. In the end all of the gravel doesn't stick/embed into the existing asphalt, leaving loose gravel. It eventually accumulates at the intersections.

I never go through or make turns at intersections without careful maneuvering as there is pretty much always gravel. I've had way more than my share of fishtails on my bike. So far I haven't laid her down. My only defense is diligence. I expect sand and gravel at every turn.

And now, the rest of the story.

My wife owns one of these companies that does road work. I guess that means I can't complain too heavily about the roads.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enountered some"tar snakes" in a curve a few days ago. Front wheel moved over a bit. Felt like a "couple" inches. Probably was not that much, but it sure woke me up. I was cruising & not paying enough attention. :frown2:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Never crashed from it,but it's always on my mind.Seems like almost every nice curvy stretch of road I can find is ruined by pea gravel brought up onto the road from the berm on every curve,or as mentioned,the tar snakes they love to use so much around here too.

It takes half the fun out of the twisties when you have take them slow to keep from crashing

If anybody could figure out how to drive so they'd use just one lane instead of needing both lanes,and the berm,and sometimes even part of the ditch,we wouldn't have to worry about it

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was riding through the Kettle Moraine State Forest this past weekend (real nice and scenic and twisty) and caught a small patch of gravel through a turn doing about 20-25mph. Kicked my rear tire a couple inches but didn't go down luckily. Being a new rider (only a couple months), it definitely stopped my heart for a second.

I always get a little nervous if I hit a small bump going through a corner as well. Makes me wonder what it would take for the rear to go out on me. I also think some of the uneasiness is due to the stock Dunlops on the Vulcan 650 not being the greatest tires from what I've read elsewhere in the forum.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my bike with 1700+/- miles. Had dunlops. Rear wore out at 5K mi. Front at 6K. Replaced with Michelin on rear and Pirelli on front. Have about 15K on them. Much better tires. FWIW. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Got a few intersections and curves here in the Sacramento area that I've gone through and had a little loose feeling in the rear, or the front tire skipped a little through a turn. Still being a new rider myself, definitely a big pucker moment, but (knock on wood) haven't laid it down as of yet. I know that time is coming, everyone goes there....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my bike with 1700+/- miles. Had dunlops. Rear wore out at 5K mi. Front at 6K. Replaced with Michelin on rear and Pirelli on front. Have about 15K on them. Much better tires. FWIW. :smile2:
Bought mine at the beginning of April with 2500+/-. Have it up to around 3800. Definitely going to look into something other than Dunlop when the time rolls around.

Got a few intersections and curves here in the Sacramento area that I've gone through and had a little loose feeling in the rear, or the front tire skipped a little through a turn. Still being a new rider myself, definitely a big pucker moment, but (knock on wood) haven't laid it down as of yet. I know that time is coming, everyone goes there....
Skipping is exactly the word I couldn't find. Seems like you get a little bounce in the rear through a turn. Still going to keep my fingers crossed neither of us hits that "oh shit" moment anytime soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts