Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on a set of lowers on the forks.I notic
ed that one of the chome covers spins if you twist back and forth.One is tight,not sure what would cause it to move.How do I tighten it up.The forks havent been off that I know of .Bought the bike used 2 yrs ago. It is an 06 classic.Thanks for any help

·
Registered
145 Posts
looking at the manual there is a ring (Kawasaki call it a stopper) that clamps round the fork inside the lower cover and this combined with a spacer and a rubber ring clamps the lower cover against the under side of the bottom yoke. If the fork leg is not pushed fully up against the yoke then the cover will turn. Check if the cover will slide down the fork, if so the clamp ring has probably moved, if not then maybe you can stop the cover moving by loosening the pinch bolts in both yokes and pushing the fork up slightly but it should not move much. The top of the inner fork tube (not the chrome cap ) should be flush with the top face of the top yoke. If the lower cover moves up and down or the fork ends up higher than it should be then you would need to remove the fork from the bike to re-set the position of the clamp ring, the manual states that it should be 250.6 mm (9.866 in.) down from the top of the fork tube. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loose fork cover

Radar, thanks for checking that out.Ill get to looking after it in the morning.Thanks again for the help Probably wouldnt have noticied it until I put the MS lowers on

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi again, just checked the lower covers on my bike and they both turn! The left moves easier than the right but they both move. Thinking about the way they are attached I think that this is normal. There is really nothing to stop them turning so maybe that's just how they are? Anybody else out there want to try and turn their lower fork covers and let us know if they move?

·
Registered
82 Posts
my lower fork covers will rotate with much effort. I decided not to try too hard to rotate them, they're on real tight. 2010 900LT, 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Loose fork caps

I think I got it tightened. Loosened the nut at the top yoke the one by the chrome cap. pushed the chome cover up hard and re tightened the nut . It's not moving, didn't try to hard though.The wind would turn the chome and with the new lowers it would cause the lowers to rotate back behind the Turn signal,AFTER I tightened it ,it's pretty snug.went for a ride and all is good. Hope it holds

1 - 6 of 6 Posts