Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm going on another road trip!! Weather permitting, I'll be heading to extreme northwest Iowa at the end of next week. Iowa!?! What's in Iowa! Actually, not alot,lol, I grew up there and my folks still farm there. Dad called and wants me to drive semi for him during harvest, so it looks like I'm heading home, about an hour north of Sioux City Iowa. If it doesn't rain and we're able to get into the fields I'll be taking the meanie up late next week and probably be there for a couple weeks. I may have a couple free Sundays so if there's anyone close to there that would like to get together for a ride let me know!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the extended forecast and it does look a little cool, hi's in the mnid-60's and lows in the upper 30's, oh well, as long as it's not raining, I'll be riding, it'll be an adventure as I'm going solo as well:D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yea, I'm a lot further south than Iowa and I rode to work this morning at 41 degrees. You're gonna want to leather up. ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in the southeast where you can ride all year. Gets a little chilly some days but nothing some good leather won't take care of. The heat in the summer is a different story. Now is the perfect riding weather for us.
KsVn900 You be carefull out there and Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I head out tomorrow morning, it's gonna be pretty chilly(low 40's) in the morning and it looks like part of the ride I'll probably be in rain and then hopefully clear up in the afternoon. It's only 250 miles so it won't be too bad, I'll probably wait till daybreak to take off and hopefully it's not pouring rain. Either way, I'm looking forward to the ride, I just haven't decided whether I'm taking super-slab or back roads. The internet connection at my parents farm is spotty at best, but I'll get on when I can.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good Luck on the ride and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you at least skirt all the nasty weather. Hopefully you'll have a good ride. If I have any choice at all I take back roads. Better scenery and easier riding. I hate the slab and avoid it if I can. Good Luck and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made it just fine missing all the rain, but the temps never got above 50 and 95% of the ride was straight into a 20 mph north wind. A little chilly but not too bad, the wind beat me up more than anything, lol. I won't be on the web a whole lot, the dial-up here is painfully slow.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's good to be back home!! Got harvest done and had a blast working with my folks and driving a grain truck for the last 2 1/2 weeks, but man, it's good to be home! The weather was awesome for riding today so the 250 mile trip back was great. I got a few pics, I'll post them when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got some pics uploaded-

sitting at a welcome center in Iowa-

my ride for the last 2 1/2 weeks-

getting a load, my mom is driving the tractor and my dad is running the combine-

a view from the platform on the combine of the 1st field we did-

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the road out of the field, close to a half mile of dirt/mud down a fairly steep hill, keeps your attention when you're driving a truck with a loaded weight of 60,000 lbs!

I took this while on a cruise on one of my days off, an outlook from Iowa across the Big Sioux River into South Dakota-

This is the Veterans Memorial in my hometown of Hawarden Iowa(pop. 2800)this is dedicated to all service men and women from Hawarden past and present. I'm very proud of this memorial and the support my hometown has given it's vets. Our family is represented here back to WW1.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WW1, the names underlined in white are 2 of my great, great, uncles-

WWII, my great uncle-

WWII, cousins-

WWII, my grandfather-

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14