Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride a 900 LT. My wife and I like long rides in the country and mountains. The 900 is a little under powered for 2 up riding so I have been looking at upgrading to a bigger bike. I have been looking at a Nomad 1500, a Nomad 1600 and a Honda VTX 1800R. Does anyone have any advice on the comfort of long rides on these bikes? How do they handle and which is more reliable? I don't want a 800+ pound bike. Low to mid 700 I think I could manage ok. Thoughts?

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I currently ride a 900 LT. My wife and I like long rides in the country and mountains. The 900 is a little under powered for 2 up riding so I have been looking at upgrading to a bigger bike. I have been looking at a Nomad 1500, a Nomad 1600 and a Honda VTX 1800R. Does anyone have any advice on the comfort of long rides on these bikes? How do they handle and which is more reliable? I don't want a 800+ pound bike. Low to mid 700 I think I could manage ok. Thoughts?
bb, watt yor askin is that you want the power and comfort and handling that only a big bike delivers but you want it in a small package so that its not overwhelming.? tho there be many that try that route, they are left with a hole in thier expectations only to make the next step later to the big rig they shulda pop'd for in the first place.
What would really change yor mind is to ride any/several of these big bikes for an extended period, not just a few minutes up the road and back. either rent one or take a minimum 4 hour test ride. go ride not just the superslab where you expect this to excel but some backroads that are full of twist and turns and require you to excersize control.
what you will find is that many of these newer Large sleds are set up to handle very well while still providing more power than needed (key) and comfort and control.
I own/ride multiple bikes from small/mid/large displacement and weight. It doesnt take 5 minutes to get over the weight issue. And when you make that decision, you never regret it or look back. just wonder why you waited so long?

any of the kaw voy/vaq should be outstanding handling, a lil shy on the motor(?). if yor considering a Honda, just do this, take a GW out for a spin. I guarantee you it will RUINE you for all other big bikes. well ther is that BMW k12? ther are plenty others that do the job superlatively. but they cost bux.
I just got back from another 3k on my new big chief *****. It rode and performed flawlessly. itsa 850lb rig empty. im not a big fella and dont have any issues tossing this thing round like it was a welter weight. I respect it. it delivers performance in spades.

once you have a MOTOR that delivers more power than you ever require, then you find yourself in the control of your airplane to do what ever YOU WANT When you want, where and how.. just give it a spin and then tell me Im wrong. poncho

· Premium Member
3,146 Posts
The 1500 is an excellent platform for whatever you want to do, is not excessively heavy, is quite bulletproof and can handle whatever you throw at it. The Nomad is made for what you want to do. I have the 1500 Classic with added touring accessories. I have solo toured from North Idaho to San Diego and back a few times, a few trips to the Oregon Coast, etc. We have two-upped several times to various places in Canada- Edmonton, or Calgary, or Kelowna, or Trail-Nelson, as well as McCall ID and Glacier Park. It has never had any problems and handles the Rocky Mountains with us (I weigh 270, wife is 135) plus all our gear fairly effortlessly.

· Registered
576 Posts
The 1500 will have all the power and comfort you need, as will the 1600. Either is an excellent platform for what you want to do.

The Honda 1800 is a nice bike as well, though every one I've ever ridden (4 or 5 of them) has a somewhat grabby clutch. It takes some getting used to as when you're letting the lever out it acts kind of like an on/off switch. The bite on it like "right now", you know?

· BOTM Winner, July 2013
183 Posts
A Vulcan 1500 is a very good choice for what you are looking for.
I have a 1500 Drifter, and love it. Has all the power needed for two up riding.
Sadly though I am giving serious thought about selling my bike due to the fact that my wife has got me into a big restoration project on a 64 1/2 "K" code mustang covetable. It is eating up all my spare time, and digging deep into the wallet. This bike is just going to sit in the garage for the next 3-4 years.

Attachments

· Registered
456 Posts
When you get more horsepower, you're generally gonna get a heavier bike!
Only in the cruiser class. A Yamaha FJR1300 weighs in at 637 lbs and has all the power anybody might need.

Of the three bikes mentioned by the OP the Honda VTX1800 will leave the two Vulcans for dead powerwise (yes, I have ridden several VTXs). Nevertheless, I agree with another poster that for 2-up touring a real touring bike like a Goldwing or BMW LT is a better choice, and if they are too heavy an FJR or ST1300 would suffice.

But that's just MHO.

· Registered
155 Posts
I agree with Anciano, The FJR is a fabulous bike if you want the power and comfort of a sport tourer. It is lighter with all the goodies like ABS, TC, CC, heated grips, etc... However it is not a cruiser so you will have to like a more upright seating position with you feet under your bottom. As others have said you need to ride the bikes and make the decision for what fits you.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the good comments. I have located a dealer that has a 1500 and a honda 1800 on his used lot. I am going to go ride each and possibly others to get the right fit. I totally agree that the bike (whatever the size) must feel good underneath the rider.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way if you know anyone looking for a very nice 900LT, I have a 2008 model with less than 7000 miles on it. All it needs is tires and I can either put them on or discount the bike for the cost of the tires. I can post pics if anyone is interested. I live in North Alabama.

· Registered
232 Posts
By the way if you know anyone looking for a very nice 900LT, I have a 2008 model with less than 7000 miles on it. All it needs is tires and I can either put them on or discount the bike for the cost of the tires. I can post pics if anyone is interested. I live in North Alabama.
So what was your decision?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

RDD, I bought a 2006 Nomad 1600 with 11,400 miles on it. it had quit a bit of after market stuff on it. I have only been able to ride it about 30 miles since I bought it. I think I am going to like it a lot. Runs very smooth at 65 -70 mph at around 2500 rpm. I think it be a great cruiser. Will probably add V&H bagger duels this Summer. Should be all I need to do.

· Registered
232 Posts
Awesome! I think you're going to love the Nomad.

· Registered
49 Posts

RDD, I bought a 2006 Nomad 1600 with 11,400 miles on it. it had quit a bit of after market stuff on it. I have only been able to ride it about 30 miles since I bought it. I think I am going to like it a lot. Runs very smooth at 65 -70 mph at around 2500 rpm. I think it be a great cruiser. Will probably add V&H bagger duels this Summer. Should be all I need to do.

All I ever read is stull like this about the nomads. I cannot believe Kawi put a stop to them in '15!!!

· Registered
483 Posts
bb, watt yor askin is that you want the power and comfort and handling that only a big bike delivers but you want it in a small package so that its not overwhelming.? tho there be many that try that route, they are left with a hole in thier expectations only to make the next step later to the big rig they shulda pop'd for in the first place.
What would really change yor mind is to ride any/several of these big bikes for an extended period, not just a few minutes up the road and back. either rent one or take a minimum 4 hour test ride. go ride not just the superslab where you expect this to excel but some backroads that are full of twist and turns and require you to excersize control.
what you will find is that many of these newer Large sleds are set up to handle very well while still providing more power than needed (key) and comfort and control.
I own/ride multiple bikes from small/mid/large displacement and weight. It doesnt take 5 minutes to get over the weight issue. And when you make that decision, you never regret it or look back. just wonder why you waited so long?

any of the kaw voy/vaq should be outstanding handling, a lil shy on the motor(?). if yor considering a Honda, just do this, take a GW out for a spin. I guarantee you it will RUINE you for all other big bikes. well ther is that BMW k12? ther are plenty others that do the job superlatively. but they cost bux.
I just got back from another 3k on my new big chief *****. It rode and performed flawlessly. itsa 850lb rig empty. im not a big fella and dont have any issues tossing this thing round like it was a welter weight. I respect it. it delivers performance in spades.

once you have a MOTOR that delivers more power than you ever require, then you find yourself in the control of your airplane to do what ever YOU WANT When you want, where and how.. just give it a spin and then tell me Im wrong. poncho
Exactly what he saic but if you cant test ride a roadstar 1700 not a bad option but if your confident with a 900 then you should be confident on a 1800. My girlfriend rides a sportster but test rode the Indian roadmaster and loved it. I actually rode a goldwing for the first time and was surprised that it seemed easier to handle than my Vulcan 2000

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.