Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to plan a trip to Door County this August with my wife and her parents. Looking for any pointers on place to go, stay, roads to hit up in those areas. Never have done an overnighter of this size. So any other ideas would help. Other then WELL separated bedrooms between the parents.

·
Administrator
12,004 Posts
I am looking to plan a trip to Door County this August with my wife and her parents. Looking for any pointers on place to go, stay, roads to hit up in those areas. Never have done an overnighter of this size. So any other ideas would help. Other then WELL separated bedrooms between the parents.
Grew up there and Mom is still in Sturgeon Bay. The entire "thumb" of Wisconsin is geared to tourism. Actually honeymooned in Fish Creek. All the small waterside towns each offer something different. Every summer, My Mom has us take her on "The Tour". That is we go us hwy 57 hitting various cities and winery tours and come back hwy 42 hitting other neat cities.

Stop in Sister Bay and eat at Johnson's restaurant and see all the live goats he has up on his roof. :) Fish Creek is a cool stop. Go to the very tip of the thumb and take the ferry across to Washington Island. Can't help you with lodging as I never stayed anywhere but at my folk's but there is great places everywhere to stay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Al Johnson's is waaaaaaaay overrated and has gone downhill over the last 10 years or so.

We've got a seasonal camper in Fish Creek so we spend quite a bit of time up there. It is a great little town. You MUST go to the White Gull Inn for breakfast. It is by far the best I've ever had. Be there at 7:30 when they open, or be prepared to wait for a very long time.

There's really no roads that are overly exciting. County Road Q (North of Baileys Harbor on 57) is a fun albeit short stretch of road. Peninsula State Park in Fish Creek is fun to ride through and explore. Cave Point County Park is also a must-see.

My main tip is to take 57 the whole way up. Stay away from 42 whenever possible. Way less traffic and a lot more fun to ride. Everyone seems to be in a hurry when driving, so be extra careful in the towns (crammed streets and abundant opening car doors). There are also a TON of active blind driveways and deer everywhere. I seem to run into a lot of gravel-covered intersections and turns outside the towns too. Just some things to remember.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about restaurants and such. We've been to a LOT of them up there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts