Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 VN900 Classic. I bought it with Cobra Speedster Swept pipes. Currently I have the stock air cleaner on so i'm looking to increase the airflow coming in. Logic dictates that I should stick with Cobra intake systems because, well, Cobra should work well with Cobra.

As I start the research into what it will take to put an aftermarket air cleaner on i'm inquiring as to what your experience is with aftermarket intake systems. Is it a simple bolt it on and ride type thing? What about tuning?

So far what I've seen is that tuning is a pretty essential piece of bolting on an aftermarket intake, the issue I take is that it practically double the cost of adding an intake. So my question here is this: Are there other ways to tune your engine beyond buying a tuner (right around 300 bucks)?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and advice.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You can get a cobra FI unit for well under $200 new on ebay

·
Registered
108 Posts
All of the intake will do the same thing its just personal preference

Baron Big Air Kit-- sits flush with the bike and doesnt stick out, nice V shape
Arlen Ness Big Sucker- circular shape and sticks out a little more than the BAK
Tornado- Like having a big snow cone on the side of your bike
Kuryakyn Hypercharger- looks like a big force induction unit on a muscle car and sticks out more than most but it has the cool butterfly look when u open the throttle
Cobra ProFlow- Sideways unit with the induction look...sort of sporty look

hope that helps...check the used market here on the forum for some good stuff

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the intake will do the same thing its just personal preference

hope that helps...check the used market here on the forum for some good stuff
Yeah I see that the aftermarket intakes will do pretty much the same thing and that it's personal preference now.. a couple hours research has revealed that. My main concern now is the tuning portion of the equation. When I put the aftermarket intake system on, is it absolutely necessary to tune it right away. I understand that tuning later on down the road will be necessary for better fuel economy and engine life. I'm just worried that the engine will blow up 50 miles down the road if I don't tune it to the intake and exhaust right away.

Yeah I'm always perusing the markets here and, oh let me tell you, I've benefited from it already.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Yeah I see that the aftermarket intakes will do pretty much the same thing and that it's personal preference now.. a couple hours research has revealed that. My main concern now is the tuning portion of the equation. When I put the aftermarket intake system on, is it absolutely necessary to tune it right away. I understand that tuning later on down the road will be necessary for better fuel economy and engine life. I'm just worried that the engine will blow up 50 miles down the road if I don't tune it to the intake and exhaust right away.

Yeah I'm always perusing the markets here and, oh let me tell you, I've benefited from it already.
With an open exhaust and adding the air intake you will run lean on your air/fuel mixture. Plus you won't feel / receive the full performance from the intake / exhaust will offer. With more air you'll need more fuel.

As for blowing up..... I think the engine may run hotter while running leaner. But, this forum has some great experts that will provide more insight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you have pipes and an intake you need a programmer or fuel management system...if you have just one of those (pipes or intake) you dont

Since you have the Cobra Swept and you're planning on adding the intake YOU WILL NEED a programmer

I dont think your bike will blow up but it wont function properly...ticking time bomb i'd say

Perhaps purchase the programmer before the intake and then get the intake later as its much cheaper and you can just run the pipes and programmer just fine but you cant run the pipes and intake together without issues

Cobra PowerPro is the best but they're spendy $500+ it auto tunes the engine

Cobra Fi2000r is significantly cheaper but you must tune the engine yourself which to some is fun and to other annoying

Hope that helps!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
Cobra PowerPro is the best
that is purely a matter of opinion.. some will say the dobeck are best..... others will say power commander V....

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Cobra Air Intake. Very happy with it. About 200 bucks and only three beers to install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
that is purely a matter of opinion.. some will say the dobeck are best..... others will say power commander V....
I can just about guarantee Dobeck has a hand in all the fuel processors that Cobra, PC and V&H sell. The new Powrpro has Dobeck's name on the printed circuit board. Nothing wrong with that as Dobeck has a good reputation.
As far as the OP's quest to keep his engine healthy, any of the cheap fuel processors will work as all they are doing is adding fuel. The more expensive ones like the PCV and Powrpro will subtract fuel if it improves performance.
I agree with the other poster who suggested going to a processor now and then add the air kit later. The money for the processor will get spent on other things and there will be the risk of damage to the pistons and valves. Now you're talkin' big bucks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can just about guarantee Dobeck has a hand in all the fuel processors that Cobra, PC and V&H sell. The new Powrpro has Dobeck's name on the printed circuit board. Nothing wrong with that as Dobeck has a good reputation.
As far as the OP's quest to keep his engine healthy, any of the cheap fuel processors will work as all they are doing is adding fuel. The more expensive ones like the PCV and Powrpro will subtract fuel if it improves performance.
I agree with the other poster who suggested going to a processor now and then add the air kit later. The money for the processor will get spent on other things and there will be the risk of damage to the pistons and valves. Now you're talkin' big bucks.

Thanks everyone for the advice, i'll make that my plan of attack on this one. I'll get the tuner first, then i'll go for the air cleaner.

Sojourner, that was a pretty good analysis of the situation. Thanks for that one!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Don't get to trapped into buying a so called "cheap" processor ... There are processors available with auto tune features ... they are easy to install and require no "after install programming". Yes, they cost more up front, but they will offer less cost in the long run.

Buying a tuner with no auto tune feature requires programing, for the best results it requires dyno tuning (around $200.00). ... Yes ... you can get generic map from some where but or the best results and Hp gain a custom map is needed. If you tour on your bike, a set map will not be necessarily good for all elevations etc.

Dyno tuning is great ... for the area in which the bike is tuned.

A auto tune processor, IE the cobra power pro auto tune, re adjusts your fuel / air mixture at 80 times a second, regardless of where you are, and what aftermarket goodies you may add at a later date.

There are plenty on this forum who cheaped out, used suggested settings, borrowed maps etc, only to find out their bikes ran like crap and produced less hp than stock after the change .... just food for thought.

You get what you pay for.... regardless of brand.

I changed my air kit first and went with the cobra power pro auto tune, it was a simple (abet, fiddly) install, even for a mechanically challenged nudnik like myself. I added my pipes after the fact. All works fine ... no back firing, no popping , no drama.

BTW ... I run the hypercharger, another easy install.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just to get this straight...if i get an air kit with my stock debaffeled pipes I wont need to get a fuel tuner (fi2000, PCV ect)?

-Delta

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I'm no pro but because u have opened up the stock pipes and the intake its best to get a fuel programmer
Agreed... I have debaffled pipes, and added an air intake + fuel mgmt. I just did not want to take a chance running too lean for any length of time. A lot more air, so leaner air/fuel mixture should be planned if no change is made with fuel mgmt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts