Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there gentlemen!
I’m Vitaly, a Russian living in the south of France)
With greatest pleasure I’ve owned a VN1500 Classic Tourer a few years ago, but the thoughts of VN2000 are not letting me go, so looks like, I’ve decided - this is the year.
In shorter words - i’m looking to buy one...
As soon as the corona-isolation is softened enough in France, I’ll start traveling around the area checking out the offer... The nearest ones on sale today are 4 hours drive away from me and one that looks really good is 9 hours away - opposite side of the country.
Anyways, I have this obvious question and sorry, if this was discussed before...
What are the key point to look at while viewing a V2K? Are there any common flaws (that a seller may want to hide)? For sure the mileage, the paintwork and the amount of extra equipment - that’s clear, but are there V2K specific things to pay attention to?
Thanks a lot and I really hope to join the club soon! :))

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the bike you desire. The 2000’s model run went from 2004 to 2010. This model had limited production. If you can’t find one, the 1700’s have been around since 2009 to present and have underwent many refinements. Good Luck in your search and make sure to post some pictures when you get your new ride.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I don't have any info as to your question, but I can tell you that Vulcans are very dependable bikes so the 2000 should be as well. I'm sure some of our 2000 riders will be able to give you some answers, if any. Good luck and like Tourer said, be sure to post a pic when you get it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I jumped from a Vulcan 1600 to a V2K, there are a few things you have to anticipate, the 1500/1600 (at least the one I had) have a shaft drive and the V2K has a belt drive, this comes with a different feel for feedback from the bike as you accelerate, also the 1600 I had (sold to my brother) had a lot smother fell to the engine, My Beast has a lot more sound (with an aftermarket exhaust that my 1600 never had) and I feel the engine a lot more, both in the handlebars and the seat, this was a huge plus for me and I really enjoy the feel of the bike.

I had a chance to ride my old 1600 and it fell overall a lot smoother, particularly the hydraulic clutch. It felt a big difference in power also.

Since the day I test rode my V2K i could not believe the difference on power off the bat, you have to consider this is a muscle bike and it is powerful, not made for speed necessarily but has the torque all across the RPM range to get you moving. It is very easy to work on, at lest the stuff I've gone into but it is a heavy bike. It will ride 2 up without a problem and it will haul a trailer without a blink, I have gone up mountains and can almost forget I had the trailer behind me. Now, going down, you have to be really careful on controlling your speed or that trailer will push you over on the tight turns or on steep slopes.

The only things I would advice to look for is wear and tear, with my bike I could really tell the previous owner had taken good care of it (I got it with close to 19,000 miles), also the 2004-2006 models had an issue with rear wheel bearings, this was resolved with the 2007 model forward, reason why I never consider a model before 2007.

I am absolutely happy with my Beast, already put 30,000 miles on it in just over 4 years, do not plan on giving it up until it is too heavy for me or one of us (the bike or me) can not ride anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts