Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, bought a new-to-me '09 Classic. It has the exhaust and intake setup I like; but, the swept back handlebar sucks. It doesn't let my long arms stretch out and I feel like I have to muscle the bike into a turn. So, I want different bars. I have bought bars from Biltwell in the past and like their products. I have 2 bars in mind, but looking for opinions as to which would look better or fit better.

Breezer Bar: http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=192

Chump Bar: http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52

They come in both black and chrome and have the option of having a dimple. I def. want chrome. Not certain if the dimple versions will work with the controls or not. I'm also going to use their Kung Fu grips.

So, which bar would work best for my '09 Classic? Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the Chumps myself.
I have the Biltwell Inc, 12" apes I just removed them to go to 16"
I'll sell them off cheap if you are interested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ran the chumps on my 07 classic for about a year, then I switched to 12 inch apes. Found the 12's more comfortable. I didn't change any cables for the 12's.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I've decided to go get the Breezer bar from Biltwell. I also want to re-use the stock grips. I know the throttle side won't be an issue for obvious reasons; however, I'd like to know how to remove the clutch side grip w/o damaging it. Anyone had any success in doing this? I had contemplated getting Kung FU grips from Biltwell, but they claim the throttle side may not fit and would require a different throttle tube.

I've got a few days to figure this out before the new bar comes in. Thanks!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok, I've decided to go get the Breezer bar from Biltwell. I also want to re-use the stock grips. I know the throttle side won't be an issue for obvious reasons; however, I'd like to know how to remove the clutch side grip w/o damaging it. Anyone had any success in doing this? I had contemplated getting Kung FU grips from Biltwell, but they claim the throttle side may not fit and would require a different throttle tube.

Use compressed air from a compressor.Slide the tip of a screwdriver between the grip (clutch side) and handle bar and give it a few shots of air.Spray in a bit of WD40 and twist the grip.Repeat is necessary.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I used a screwdriver and WD-40. If I remember correct you only have to remove the clutch side grip. The other grip can be left on. Just remove the throttle.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Any grip glue will work.I am usually installing Kuryakyn ISO grips so I would be using the glue they supply.Most motorcycle shops should carry grip adhesive.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I bought the Chumps instead. I think the Breezer Bar would have been too narrow. Hopefully, the install will be smooth and straight forward. Can't wait to put them on this weekend! I'll get a few photos up when done.

Anyone have any cable/wire routing tips? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I ran the chumps on my 07 classic for about a year, then I switched to 12 inch apes. Found the 12's more comfortable. I didn't change any cables for the 12's.
I would recommend a clutch cable to account for the taller bars. I put 10" bars on my 900 and the clutch cable was tight and I snapped one in about 6000 miles. It would work with the stock cable, but it's tighter than I would recommend.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
The bar I'm getting is 8 inches tall.
I thought I read that you were getting someone's slightly used 12" bars. My mistake. The 8's should be perfect with the stock cables.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought I read that you were getting someone's slightly used 12" bars. My mistake. The 8's should be perfect with the stock cables.
I thought about it; but, I did not want to spend the extra money for longer cables. I've dealt with 8" bars in the past, but nothing taller; so, it's what I am comfortable with.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got my 8" bar from Biltwell the other day. I think I made a mistake. They appear to be no bigger than the stock VN750 bar. I haven't had time to fit them yet; but I think they will be too narrow. I'm hoping to test fit Saturday.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts