Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a project bike to fix up.

I see a lot of bikes on Craigslist that are older and in the $200-500 range. Usually in the 1980's date range. They usually never have paper work and are sold as is.

1. What is the best way to make sure that they are not stolen?
2. Also what is the best way to get them registered at the DMV after I restore them assuming no paperwork?

thanks!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I'm looking to buy a project bike to fix up.

I see a lot of bikes on Craigslist that are older and in the $200-500 range. Usually in the 1980's date range. They usually never have paper work and are sold as is.

1. What is the best way to make sure that they are not stolen?
2. Also what is the best way to get them registered at the DMV after I restore them assuming no paperwork?

thanks!
hf, it's ez nub to get the VIN and submit it to dmv b4 you buy it. If it is clear, dmv knows who last owns it has title to it. get a good clean bill of sale from the owner only! Then register it immediately and get new title. Depending on wat yor plans are and how good yor skills are, most cost more to refurbish than thier worth.. Not much.
A classic maybe? Or a cheap bob job. Unless I was totally bored and had lot of surplus cash to waste, I would not waste time on old junk.

·
Registered
620 Posts
+1 on Poncho V. too much hassle. plenty of decent bikes for sale under $2k on CL if you just bide your time and search well.

only saying.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bought mine on Ebay from a pawnshop 3 hours away from me. I would never buy any vehicle without a clear title. When I went to pick it up I matched the VIN on the title with the one on the frame before I pulled out my wallet. Only way to go. Too many stolen bikes around to mess with one that doesn't have a matching title. I don't fool with salvage titles on wrecks either too much hassle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts